Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest's Main Street..... Upscaled
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station
Page: of 15

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

What color stick did you use for the silver gray?????

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  09:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great project for the Challenge, Karl. I like the look you've achieved on the peeling paint.

Love your work area too. Then again it is 18 degrees and snowing right now in the Jersey Highlands.

Bruce

terry hansley
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Karl

In that second picture I think you put way too much dry brushing on that tree.

However, the strip wood is great---I assume paint thinner as a resist with acrylics on top?

Terry H

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl:

Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  12:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for all the posts and inputs.

Jerry, the chalk used to get the silver grey is 'black'.

Dallas, always interested in your detailed thoughts and posts, indeed the white is too 'stark'. This is in the process of being toned down. I will finalise this once all walls are sided, this will hopefully ensure that they match, or are at least close..

Terry you are correct in that I used a paint thinner resist under the acrylic white. For some reason though I struggled with it, maybe due to working outside.

Bryan, the boards were coloured with chalks. Paint thinner was then brushed on. When the thinner is 95% dry white craft paint was brushed on. When the paint is dry it is removed using tape.

I dont think I'll need traps on this build Mike due to the way I have layed out the walls, but time will tell on that decission.

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do not have nearly enough types of tape to finish this thing off properly - and you will no doubt be getting some additional effects when you weather the thing so the white will work for now - move on

Elliott

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  3:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, ok. I thought the thinners was something new you were trying with the Corona's :)

Nice progress thus far Karl. I began an upscale of this way back when it first came out, but then changed directions and didn't have time or reaon to finish it unfortunately (and then parts were salvaged from that initial work), so I look forward to seeing how it shapes up as a bigger image.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in Elliot and Dan,
some small progress, time for a break from the bench.

Karl.A

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  6:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Terry was just helping Pat with a simple answer.
Karl.A

Well "Exuse me for wearing the dunce cap".

belg
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  6:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by terry hansley

Terry H

Terry, thanks for taking the time to post the pics. A nice way to add another glue surface to help lock it all together.

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  12:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool! Those two different effects in that most recent photo are really nice. The bottom part (which obviously has been better protected from the elements) reminds me of the old paint that dried out, flaked off and left a chalky residue like this:

The top half looks to have more decay--probably had the chalky white residue bleached out by the sun exposing the bare wood, leading to the deeper, heavy grain.
(That's my analysis of what's going on, at least.)

Good stuff!

Edited by - BillMichaels on 01/22/2012 12:11:01 AM

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the peeling paint and overall feel created with the prototypical variation in amount you peeled. Once the stairway and awnings are installed the difference will be awesome!

Brett

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  1:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying the build Karl, your weathering is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the finsihed walls come together.

Paul

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  3:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Bill, Brett and Paul, most appreciated.

Kind of a sneak peek for you Paul.....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/22/2012 3:13:21 PM

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  5:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the effects YM! You are the peeling paint master, probably because of all the peeling paint you see on the job.

KO

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: MDC Climax Kitbash by Steve Turner Topic Next Topic: Choices challenge. Interaction Portable Station  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000