Railroad Line Forums - Out of the salvage yard.....
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Out of the salvage yard.....
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread
Page: of 27

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  7:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Martin,

Reefers like to travel in multiples so keeping them together is easily justified.

Herd behavior......well, that might make it easier to keep both, but lack of room, and that the O Scale Nat'l is later this week just might force the contrary action.

I’d say that your chances are as thin as a homeopathic soup made
from the shadow of a pigeon that died of starvation…

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  9:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,
You have done a beautiful job on many of these cars, so much that you have inspired me to pull a few unfinished ones I have, out to complete. Thanks
Rich

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,
What can I say original here? You suck at building and painting.

But then I'd get death threats for smacking a obviously expert modeler with superb painting skills to boot!

Nice job brother! I enjoyed this build indeed. Please continue with your next tutelage for the slow modeling minded.

I'm video taping this thread for quick reference. Thanx Thom...

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  6:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tct855

Martin,
What can I say original here? You suck at building and painting.

But then I'd get death threats for smacking a obviously expert modeler with superb painting skills to boot!

Nice job brother! I enjoyed this build indeed. Please continue with your next tutelage for the slow modeling minded.

I'm video taping this thread for quick reference. Thanx Thom...

Why, thank you!

I have been away from this particular queue of projects focusing more on 4 trolley projects of which at least 3 are slated for articles, and then also off on a MoW car that has also sent to in as an article.

Once these 4 are completed, I have a stack of airslide hopper kits to either rebuild/restore, build or just sell off - given that the O scale meet in Indianapolis is coming up, some may not get built.........by me!

Then it's back to a stack of wood cabooses that are in varying states of completion. I look forward to having fun finishing them since I have found selling a caboose is far easier than selling most other freight cars.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  9:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Airslide hopper in O scale? Hmmm, must be Ambroid or scratchbuilt. Definitely looking forward to that one. I have a few myself to do in HO scale. Do you have decals or transfers for these?
Regards, Vic B.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitlerisvj

Airslide hopper in O scale? Hmmm, must be Ambroid or scratchbuilt. Definitely looking forward to that one. I have a few myself to do in HO scale. Do you have decals or transfers for these?
Regards, Vic B.

These are actually styrene kits!

American Standard Car Co. made kits for airslide hoppers - best thing about them is that the sides come totally prefinished, paint and lettering. Tough part is that the rest of the car still needs to be painted and the lettering on the ends needs to be added. I have 2 PRR and 1 WM that are unstarted and then there is a 4th that looks like it was dropped.....but I already have the trucks for all of them.

Yes, far too modern for my interests, but I keep an anachronism train if/when I might some day have another open house.....in another dimension and universe.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  7:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are 2 of the one's I built a few years ago...

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  08:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, after a bit of a layoff from the O scale meeting Indy in Sept, the MER convention in Oct, and running around so that I could retire last week, and then celebrating that with kidney stones, I'm finally at a point where I can get back into my shop and get something done.

So, those American Standard airslide hopper kits - I sold 2 -- Hurray for my team! 2 kits I don;t have to build. But, I still have 1.....and I still have one of these cars that appears to have had some rough handling, like dropped....

So, off we go....here's the rebuild side of this project:

Ends are beat up and missing the ladders, brake components are loose or missing, roof walk is missing, and the plumbing is missing off the hoppers, but it has trucks and most of the couplers - the sides come pre-painted so someone over spraying the entire car and I'm thinking that's a loss; total re-paint and decal job.

And here's the kit to build the same car!

Started in on it by installing the side ladders - the ladders have a left and right bevel on the ends so they can meet up to form square corners. Started on the ends adding some fiddly bits.

Ok, so contrary to popular belief, I can and will work with styrene,

Edited by - mwbpequod on 12/14/2017 08:47:28 AM

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  12:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Congrats on the retirement and I hope you "passed" with ease. I had Shingles and kidney stones at the same time...ugh...fortunately the stones weren't 'large' and I caught the shingles early enough to avoid the serious burning/itching pain. I was just in my early thirties and thought shingles was typically for older folks until I talked with my grandfather and he had them in his thirties also. Some luck.

Anyway, glad to see you posting again. Keep 'em rolling out of the shops!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, ends are done and assembled to the end platform with sides attached now.

Edited by - mwbpequod on 12/14/2017 08:52:03 AM

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got back to work on these now - ends built and rebuilt

White styrene is new and the new ladders on the rebuild are slightly different red styrene. Other bits like the grabs on the new build are from PSC since I had them and they look better than my bent wire ones.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  10:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Martin. Long time no see!

Yeah, I know, you've been here and I've been here. We just haven't been here in the same place.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  11:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is real nice work regardless of color.
Well done.
ed

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Underbody of the new build.....some framing for the center sill

A bit of sheet lead added for weight; Goo & CA hold it in place

Discharge hoppers assembled and mounted to the floor

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over to the rebuild job - plumbing was missing off the discharge hoppers - some styrene rod bent and put in its place should suffice to at least give the illusion of what should be there.....and after a coat of paint, should be at least adequate.

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: Medford Refrigerator Despatch - Mystery Sides! Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Cars Certificate Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000