Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Big NWSL News
Page: of 91

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  12:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, sorry I have not commented in awhile, been kept busy doing other stuff.
Your mine scene has developed into another great point of interest on your layout!
Your attention to detail is always remarkable, and always a pleasure to view.
Perhaps this is a "Leaverite" mine, they dig it out and leave it right there.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  4:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike! Hmm may be gold they are digging out. Don’t tell anyone#128512;

Thanks Tom, and welcome to the forum! I’m happy you like my modeling. I haven’t so much time at the moment so it can take awhile between posts.

Always happy to hear from you Greg! I can imagine you are busy. My busyiness come from a two year old who has way to much energy for his old dad to cope with#128512;
Hmm...Leaverite could be the thing. Now I have many options to chose from. Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2018 :  3:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are now bumped!

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  3:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob, here is also a small update.

I have abandoned my mountain modelling for the moment as the mine scene is near complete. I'll post some photos of it later.

Shiver me timbers, the lure of the sea became too great and I needed to hoist the anchor and abandon myself to the seven seas. Well that came out a bit corny.

What I have started on is one of my harbour vessels. The first one is a gaff cutter inspired by English gaff rigged fishing vessels. The foundation is an old Revell 1/125 scale kit of a french Tuna fishing boat on which I cut the bottom off. I made new spars from wood dowel which I reduced in size and shape by sanding them with some medium sandpaper. To make wooden blocks, mast hoops, lanterns and anchor I used my Photon 3D printer which has come more and more useful for making difficult parts in masse. The sail is made of silk span which was painted with ordinary acrylic paint using a roller. It is a neat trick ship modellers have used for some time. I found some very good how to movies on Youtube on the subject silk span sails which helped a lot. The small dinghy I found on Shapeways. It has great detail and fit neatly as a deck boat.

Here are some progress pictures.

Main sail before furling.

Some 3D printed details

Next is to make a furled foresail together with some more deck and rigging details. To be continued...

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Your new boat project is very thought-provoking. It’s something I might do some day, except it would be a little steam-powered launch for an inland lake.

Nice job. Your 3D printer has definitely proved its worth.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  6:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice bash job on the cutter Håkan.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  7:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes excellent job.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  2:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good! The wooden spars make you think the hull is wood too.
The printed details came out nicely.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, the printer is a good substitute for those hard to find parts. I hope you start on that steam launch. Would be great to see with you working your styrene magic.

Thank you Frank, Carl, and Bob! I'm happy you like it. For me it was something of a new start. I had been itching to start on my harbour scene for some time now. A while ago Bob and I exchanged ideas and I started to research harbours on the Northern California coast. To my dismay as my knowledge was virtually nil I found out that the type of harbour I was after i.e. a Maine type of Dave Frary, Troels Kirk type of harbour was a very rare thing. I found one harbour that comes close and that is Fort Braggs Noyo harbour. Photos of that harbour conveys the feel I'm after. I'll use that as a inspiration when making mine.
http://www.noyoharbordistrict.org/

Thanks Bill, the parts came out better than on the photo. My camera (Iphone) could not do them justice. The hoops came out a little to thick but it was a compromise to get some strength in them.

Happy modeling!

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, great looking sailboat!
I never knew about the silk span painted with latex paint to make sails.
I will have to give this a try in the future.
Glad to see your living up to your factory's reputation of being quality sailmakers.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg!
I hope the sails make justice to such a beautiful building.
I didnt know either. I thought thin cotton or similar but to my surprise
testing it came out very easy to work with and captures the feel of sailcloth.
Here is a link to the Youtube films I found.
https://youtu.be/g_m_VWzk4w8

Håkan

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  05:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking cutter. Thanks for the information on silk span, was wondering what to use on my schooner build if I decide on adding sails.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  08:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just fantastic, Håkan. As a dad of 2 and 3 year olds, I'm impressed with just how much modeling you manage to accomplish. Since becoming a dad, I've wished for the superpower of never being tired. Ha.

Keep on keeping on.

Designing a 1905-ish Pennsylvania Short Line
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51030&whichpage=1

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2018 :  07:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil, I'm glad you found the information useful.

Thanks Ryan. I wish for that too. When one find the time to model one is usually too tired.

Here are some photos from the finished Bess mine.

Found a pickaxe that look a bit off on the photos. Photos are great seeing things that look odd.

I hope you like the photos.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 12/16/2018 07:11:04 AM

Page: of 91 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Big NWSL News  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000