Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg! One day he perhaps will answer the call. For the time being I'm very happy that he likes modeling.

Thanks for waking me up Bob! We have been away on a Midsummer Eve celebration all weekend and got back today.

No playing with decoders just yet. I have to clear the workbench of a advertising car project I'm working on.
Its a Ebay Roundhouse MDC find which I'm adding a new roof and other things to. I'm also working on my mine scene adding rockwork.
I have made a trestle as you can see in the photo below. On the phot Its not a snowslide but me playing around placing the rock castings

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  11:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking very interesting.

It's only make-believe

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  04:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This looks great Håkan. You may have mentioned it in a previous post, but are you using commercial rock moulds or have you made your own?

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  12:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and Luke!

The castings are a combination of bought moulds from Bragdon and Sterling. I used Woodland scenics before but with so much rocks I needed variation so I have many different moulds arranging them hoping to avoid a pattern.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  3:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys, been working on my Ebay find. I bought a Roundhouse Overland car with a extravagance display of ads on its sides. I first thought it was a special release from Roundhouse but after some examination it came out that is was a kitbash with the ads made from decals. I have no idea if they fit the 1890s but it feels kinda right so I went on doing some changes adding 6 wheel trucks, a new roof, new railings and some other details to it. It think it came out alright although somewhat garish. I'll weather it somewhat as it probably has traveled far.

Here it is in b&w being backed up on the SP interchange together with another car.

Håkan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  4:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It compares favorably to some Buffalo Bill Wild West Show cars I've seen. Might not need much weathering, they'd probably try to keep at least the sides bright and clean.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  4:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ads look good to me. Nice car.

It's only make-believe

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is a nice car, it looks goods with the six wheel trucks.

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice car, Hakan! Love seeing your pictures. Good stuff always.

Andre

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  2:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys, guess it was garish in real life too To attract attention.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  5:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Franklin MacVeagh (not MacVeach) was a successful businessman in the wholesale grocery line in late19th century Chicago, eventually becoming US Secretary of the Treasury in early 20th century.

Mke

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  1:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike that explains a lot, I have googled trying to find something on MacVeach. The previous owner of the car must have mispelled making the decal.
Anyhow in my Train "universe" there is now a successful businessman call Franklin Mac Veach

I tried some weathering yesterday. I did (for me at least) something daring and that was airbrushing the whole car with a thin mixture of Pollyscale Grimy black to dampen the colors and give it a look of have traveled over the country. I kept the airbrushing light over the sides with heavier deposits over the ends and roof. I also did some additional drybrushing.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  6:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Hakan!

While I'm thinking about it: What code/size rail are you using? What brand?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  6:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andre! Weathering is somewhat unknown territory to me.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  7:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you change the cars roof? That's not a round house roof is it? Good start on the weathering.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000