Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan I've been so busy working on my own projects I missed your finished scene, looks fantastic.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  3:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn,
not much has happened apart from some landscaping and planning my mine scene. I have dropped the Busch mine train idea and I'm going for something similar to John Olsens Mescal lines mine with the mine opening high on a mountain side.

I took a look at your thread. Great progress!

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time flies and for me at least I tend to do things in periods. I have been quite absent from my favorite modeling Den the RLF for some time now and also from modeling. We have been away on vacation and there is some positive family changes estimated to come in about two and a half months time which will lessen modeling time considerably.
However I have been thinking on how my new mining area should look and after an eternity I have finally started. I have been in search of a drawing of a ore bin and after some searching I found here on the forum a link to an old book on the subject. This was something of a dead end as it was a too large bin which would not fit my area. Once again diving into the library at home I found a drawing in the book "Early wood frame and masonry structures" by Pat Harriman. This was of a much smaller bin and using that I have started on my build. I have made my bin a little higher then the one on the drawing.

On coloring the wood I tried a different method than I usually does. I distressed the wood as usual. I tended to keep it low as the bin should be relatively newly built. I then put on my shoe color mix of black and alcohol and let it dry. After that I scraped down some various chalks in different containers and mixed them with some white spirits making a wash which I then applied on the wood. I then wiped them using as paper towel. This made the chalks go down into the crevices in the wood. I think the colors came out quite good and with some additional drybrushing will give the feel of a structure about 3-5 years old.

On our vacation we visited Tokyo and had time to see Saitama railroad museum. There they had the Benkei Porter Mogul together with a Harlan and Hollingsworth passenger car.

Here is a link to some pictures I took:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskzAFM9C

Sorry about the quality as it was quite dark and I used my Iphone. They are free to download. I hope they can be of interest.

I also thought to show some pictures from the wonderful Disney Sea World that we visited.

Here is some pictures of the built up area of an early 1900 New York.

Here is of a Maine coastal village

This one is from Disneyland and Frontierland. I felt the magical touch of John Olson nearly everywhere.

Håkan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  5:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, it's great to see you back here posting again!
This new mining area sounds exciting, and you seem to be off to a good start with your ore bin.
I have both volumes of books by Pat Harriman, lots of great modeling ideas & inspiration in those.
Looking forward to seeing what nuggets of gold your mining operation will produce.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  6:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
The mine timber colors look right on. Interesting design too with the bridge over the loading track. It's going to be another great scene. They did a fine job on the porter and the coach. The Arabic's on the Harlan and Hollingsworth coach looks so Art Decco. Is this Eight Wheel model's next kit? Sea world would serve any model railroad. It would really work against a backdrop.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, its great to be back at modeling
And seeing what you other guys have been up to! I have some catching up to do although I have been lurking in the background. I agree those books are great! Many useful drawings and ideas.

quote:
Håkan,
The mine timber colors look right on. Interesting design too with the bridge over the loading track. It's going to be another great scene. They did a fine job on the porter and the coach. The Arabic's on the Harlan and Hollingsworth coach looks so Art Decco. Is this Eight Wheel model's next kit? Sea world would serve any model railroad. It would really work against a backdrop.

Thanks Bob, I hope so. Below is a better description what I'm after. The loading track on the drawing will not be incorporated but some other interesting structures.
On the car I had the same thoughts when I saw the artwork. It looked very much Art deco. Don't know if it came that way from the factory or if it was decorated that way by local artisans. What I read from the signs around it it is renovated to its original status. If it will be the next kit one never knows:-)

The mine area have been a headache as I'm not so good composing scenes. But it has settled to a mine similar to the one on John Olsons Mescal lines. But with an ore bin. I remember correctly on his mine the ore carts tipped the ore directly into the awaiting gondolas.

Here is a rough sketch of the area.

The bin has only been propped up and is not at its final height. The mine opening will be up on the mountain side. A wood decking supported from beneath with substancial timbers will support the work area and mine track. I want to incorporate some different levels into the deck construction to give it more visual interest. The final placement and will depend on the scenery as I want it to look like it has been shaped to fit the mountainside and not the other way around.

I made some more progress tonight.

I could not figure out how the side planking had been fastened so I added an extra 3x8" to the sides for the planking to be fastened to.

I have one area that I don't know how to tackle and that is the gates. I have not found much searching the internet. Especially on how they where manouvered. Ideas are most welcome.

Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you again Håkan!

The bin looks good and thanks for posting those cool photos...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  11:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I really like the vertical lines in the sketch. You can stretch out the trestle for the loading track towards the left and the mine track to the right continuing past the bin. Maybe reduce the size of the platform removing the office there and pull the mountain a bit more? It's a nice tribute to John Olsen and Malcolm Furlow.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  05:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl! Its good to be back.

Thanks for the ideas Bob. As I'm still in the planning stage ideas are most welcome. I'll start on a Dynamite larder tonight. I found a great drawing in one of the Harriman books and it will make a great mini project.

Håkan

Donald Ball
New Hire

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donald Ball's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ore bins like the one you are doing use a rising gate lifted by means of a gear rack on the gate driven by a gear operated by a handwheel. The first photo shows that arrangement.

Some bins have a movable chute which can be lowered to fill the cars as in this photo

The first type of gate without the chute limits the height of the cars which go under it. The second type allows any size cars to be used or pass by the bin.

Don Ball
Stockton & Copperopolis RR

Edited by - Donald Ball on 05/15/2016 09:30:49 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Don for the photos and information. They are a great help!

Off to the Workbench

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 05/15/2016 4:09:52 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  4:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, here is a photo how the bin looks at the moment. Next is to figure out how to model the gates.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looming good. I really like the wood colors.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  11:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Hakan:

Newcomer Andre Ming here.

I must say this has to be one of the most inspiring threads on TOC19 modeling that I've had the pleasure of viewing. Wonderful stuff, from the bench work, to the engines/rolling stock, structures, back drops, scenery... all of it. Superb modeling.

Thus far I've only browsed through the entire thread and salivated at the pictures. I intend to go back and carefully read the text over the coming days/weeks and hope to learn more about how you achieve some of these excellent results.

As I read this thread, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you Hakan, so I hope I don't become a bother to you!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 05/16/2016 11:25:29 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  11:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very realistic. As always, looking forward to watching your progress.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000