Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  5:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty darn good from where I'm sitting.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your submerged logs look really good under the floating ones and the whole scene looks great. A question and a thought - will there be a pile of sawdust some place? the only prototype small sawmills I have seen were pretty well surrounded with sawdust and bark chipsall over the ground and a pile of sawdust, sometimes looking like ready to spontaneously combust, indicating it had been there a while. I ask because what to do with the sawdust is a question for my future sawmill, also located on a small, narrow piece of property. My saw will be powered by an old automobile engine, so can't explain away the sawdust as fuel for the boiler.
And, even though your tree/no tree question has been settled there are trees on my site too), here's a thought for sometime in the future: what if those few trees near your mill were too crooked or otherwise unsuitable for lumber, so they were left standing? Research while making pulpwood loads for the NEB&W a while back indicated the trees cut for pulpwood were too crooked, small or dead to harvest for lumber.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
The floating logs look good. The whole scene is a winner,
A report is coming!

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  7:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Submerged trees did occur, depending on the density of the wood, and the water content. There is a big business up on the Great Lakes now, between Canada, and the U.S. recovering the sunken logs from old. They are VERY valuable, and are highly prized for furniture, and musical instruments.

They use side scanning sonar to locate them on the lake bed, then a diver has to go down, and hook a cable to them. The boat on the surface then has to winch it up. Some of these logs weigh several tons, and being water logged (HaHa) to boot, they can be a massive project to get to the surface.

http://michigan.gov/deq/0%2C1607%2C7-135-3313_3677_3703-10890--%2C00.html

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  8:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As to sawdust disposal, there are several options. One, and most common was already touched on. Burn it to generate steam for the mill.

Second, is just burn it in a large silo like structure, just to get rid of it.

Third, and most profitable, is to blow it into an airtight silo, for loading into hoppers, or some other car for resale to paper mills, or some other secondary user.

Forth, is to just "flush" it down the river, and make it someone else's problem.

I am sure someone can think of some others, but this is what I got off the top of my head.

No wonder there is no hair up there, it keeps getting lodged off.

LOL

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  4:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the thumbs up and the information. Bill I have the sawdust pile on the other side of the mill. It is not easy to see. The idea is that most of it is burned for fuel.

Looking forward to the report Bob.

Thanks Horse for the information. I have the same problem with the top of my head

Yesterday I did the pour and here is some pictures of it. In a bout of inspiration(or insanity) I mixed in some finely ground leaves and stuff to have some debris in the water. I also mixed in some raw umber color. The acrylic I used did not mix well with the epoxy so I have a lot of specks of it. It doesn't matter much though as it is looks like debris and particles. The pond came out a little to dark though. I should have used lighter colors.
Otherwise it didn't end up on the floor as I was afraid to. The epoxy I used needed a lot of coaxing to get it in everywhere. It also crept up on things but that I have realized is something hard to avoid.

Sorry about the quality. The battery was out on my ordinary camera so I used my cell phone.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/13/2015 4:57:51 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, that looks great! I like the debris floating on and in the water.

Yesterday I was flipping through a book of photos along the Western Maryland RR in West Virginia; many pictures of sawmills large and small. One was very similar to yours in size and look, especially having the same sort of board and batten roof. I figure it was the eastern subsidiary of your lumber company.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, great to see that you poured your water without any leaking mishaps this time.
I like the debris you added into the mix, and I don't think the water colour looks to dark at all.
I think Dave mentioned earlier in this thread, about adding some algae on the water surface when you got this far.
I think that effect carefully done around the entire pond/rocks/retaining walls, would further in making this scene even more life like.
I'm also looking forward to seeing the log rolling competition, that I hope will take place on this new pond someday.

Greg Shinnie

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  6:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another spectacular scene, Hakan! Great work as usual.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Håkan!

I too am fine with the debris....

One small teeny issue is ....I'm not sure the pond would be THAT tranquil....

Perhaps a bit of gloss gel for a very small wavy water effect?

Or if your satisfied, I will be quiet.

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ensign;

I don't think there would be algae, or any other plant life growth in the water, as the tannins from the wood, would kill it off. That is the cause of the water being so dark, the tannin kills off any life in the water, and so the rotting debris darkens the water, as no plant/fish life is there to clean it, and it also has a very low oxygen level because of the poisonous effect of the tannin.

So, Håkan, I wouldn't worry about the darkness of the water, that is pretty accurate for the stagnant mill ponds I have seen.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  1:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Håkan, that pond is looking great. The water is not too dark. I too like the floating debris. I also like the details you added around the dam.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys, I'm very happy you like it! Today it looked better when I looked at it. I'm thinking of pouring one more clear layer over it and then as Carl suggest perhaps adding some waves. I have to think about it as the see through look will then nearly disappear.

Thanks Mike my Proprietor is meddling on the eastside too so its a possibility.

Thanks Horse, I'll go for stagnant.
I will add some more green around the shoreline as suggested by Greg. It looks to barren right now.

This weekend me and my family are going to a flea market train meet where we have rented a table to sell of some of mine and my boys train stuff. It will be great fun with the only downside that there is a risk that we come home with more stuff then we came with

Thanks!
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/14/2015 4:20:47 PM

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  4:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See you on Saturday then!

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, if you're going to do another pour, consider adding even more debris in the water.
The sawmills I've seen were thick with slabs, bark and chips and sawdust everywhere and that pond would certainly have a lot of that stuff in it.

Here are three photos around the (working) shipyard sawmill at Mystic Seaport Museum. Please note that the area is exceptionally well kept not only for safety, but also to keep the place looking spiffy for visitors.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000