Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  7:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's going to be another beauty.

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
I was wondering if that Frateschi 2-8-0 project was going to go anywhere. The last time you talked about it, you seemed rather frustrated with it. But, not to worry! I should have known, you'd pull the rabbit out of the hat! This should be an interesting loco.

Greg Rich

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2014 :  4:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave! On the beauty thing I'm more aiming for a Road hog

Thanks Greg, I hope it will be. I gave up on the mechanism but I hope I can make something with combining them. I can say that I have got a lot of inspiration from your builds

This weekend I haven't had so much time to work on it. I'm working on the back wall (or whats its called) and the side windows as you can see from the photo below. I used the cab on the 1893 Baldwin as inspiration.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/12/2014 4:29:25 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2014 :  12:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the locomotive build has continued a little. As I removed all the (well almost all) the cast on detail I had to go over the boiler with sanding compound and sanding over and over again. I have some spots still not smooth but I concluded that it was good enough or else I would lost have interest in the project. As I removed a lot of rivets during the sanding I applied new ones using Micromark rivet decals. As the boiler and cab are a little longer than the Roundhouse frame I had to make a block at the end of the cab with a recess that fits the tab on the frame, see photos below.

I have also made the piping for the air pump and injector pipes. The injector itself is in the cab. I reused one air tank form the Frateschi loco and has placed it on the right side together with the air pump.

As I wanted a low tender I had a Bachmann tender from their low driver 4-6-0 that I used instead of the Roundhouse one. As the Roundhouse tender trucks has very good electrical pickup on all wheels I mounted the Roundhouse trucks instead. I also added two tool boxes to the top of the tender made from styrene.

That is all for now.

Cheers,
Håkan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2014 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're making good progress on the loco, Håkan. Nice work on fabricating all the parts so things would fit together and look good.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2014 :  6:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking super good!

It's only make-believe

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  5:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking project, Hakan! Reminds me a bit of the Colorado Midland's earlier Consolidations.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  6:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys!

George, I have later on started to make and paint everything in subassemblies. It save a lot of headache and extra work masking.

Chris, I have them as inspiration. The paint livery will be based on one of them.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 10/28/2014 6:24:53 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  4:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, a small step for man but a big step for me. This weekend I have made considerable progress on the 2-8-0 and I have painted and finished nearly everything piecing everything together. I have had doubts about the pilot and have in the longest waited to mount it. After some thought I think the pilot is to long forward so I'll cut back the frame about 1 to 1.5mm that hopefully will give it a more balanced look. I'm thinking of using the braces from the Frateschi boiler and mount that to the pilot beam even if the brace looks a little hefty. I have studied pictures in my books and the braces for the heavier road hogs looked quite sturdy.

I thought to leave the wheels black but I saw a picture of a model CM 2-8-0 with dark green main color and white wheel rims which looked quite nice. I went for that look when painting the model also using some inspiration from this picture:
http://jonmdavis.com/veh_ground/images/JD_CM_1.jpg

Next will be adding all the details for example air tank, compressor and various piping. After that I'll install the TCS Wowsound decoder which will be placed in the tender. The installation hopefully will go smoothly as there is much space in the tender compared to the tender on my previous project with the 4-4-0 Storm.

Thanks,
Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  5:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very very nice.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stunning !!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  12:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine is looking sharp Håkan. Jon Davis works closely with Jim Wilkie so the colors in his artwork are very accurate.

It's only make-believe

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  11:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely spectacular work! I want one!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Guys for the kind words! I thought I'll make it mounting the pilot tonight but it have to wait until tomorrow. Domestic stuff, sigh.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  06:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Long time since I posted doesn’t mean that I haven’t worked on the loco. It is nearly finished and it has had its ups and downs up to now. One of the downs is that I tried to put in a slightly larger Maxon motor in it. That motor and the TCS Wowsound decoder didn’t like each other one bit. The decoder hasn’t any way to change the BEMF so I had to resort to changing back to the original motor. Lucky as it was the loco came out running well with the original motor together with the decoder. On the ups I managed without cutting up the tender fit in the decoder with keep-alive. As they produce some heat I also managed to squeeze in some heat sinks in the form of some brass stock that I found in the scrap box. I have run the loco for some time now and the tender gets a little warm but way off to get so hot as to melt plastic or distort the paint. The motor has a small flywheel and I have been afraid that it won’t work well with the BEMF but seems that it is so small that it doesn’t affect it much.

One of the changes I made from last post is to make a thicker beam for the cowcatcher and moving it a little forward. I also would have liked it to be a little wider as now on even slight curves the pilot wheels easily becomes visible. I’m contemplating adding pieces of styrene on the sides to make it look wider.

There is still also some detailing to do as fitting a rudimentary slide steering at the cylinders and adding some coal to the tender. And making a crew.

I spotted some things in the photos (which are merciless) and among them I need to glue down the running boards as it is askew on the left side.

Thanks for looking,
Håkan

The running board is a little askew.

The decals rivets looks a little small and should have been doubled. Doh!

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000