Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  5:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Håkan,I've been dying to say this,your coffin car looks deadly!
In a good way.

Greg Shinnie

thanks! The name coffin car can be more then appropriate as its destination is to be Innsmouth.

Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Splendid car, Håkan!

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  10:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
WOW that coffin car is amazing and surprisingly colourful for only having two main body colours.

Looks like something I'd actually be quite interested in having to run on my layout as well. Did you make the model yourself or is it a retail kit?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  5:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic and Ross!

Ross it is a resin kit from Art Griffin. The decals was also bought from him. Here is a link.
www.artgriffindecals.com

If you don't know of them already I can recommend the resin kits from Silver crash car works. They come with very nice castings and the instructions are very good. Here is the link to them:
www.silvercrashcarworks.com

Håkan

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  12:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, thanks a lot for that. I was looking at both some of the Silver Crash and B.T.S kits, I just didn't know anyone that had used them that could give me an opinion on them.

Doing research on the V&T and looking at your thread is giving me lots of ideas for my own layout.

The only resin kits I have dealt with so far have been from Forge World and lets just say the quality hasn't been great despite their prices...

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing about Silver Crash kits is that you'll usually have to add parts, e.g. styrene strip, brake gear, etc. But the castings are first-rate, as are the instructions and historical information.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  1:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also the majority of Silver Crash Kits are sold out. At least they were when I made my Christmas wish list.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1905

Also the majority of Silver Crash Kits are sold out. At least they were when I made my Christmas wish list.

A lot of resin kits are limited runs. The molds have a limited life, something like 50-60 castings, before they wear out. So that's why it's a good idea to "buy 'em when you see 'em."

dave

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, I really like their dinkier boxcars (the 28ft and 25ft ones), would be a good way to make a change in my fleet from the mass of Roundhouse 36ft cars.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  5:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you run a freelance railroad, you can label the Roundhouse cars for your own railroad, while using the historically more accurate cars for 'foreign' cars. I remember being told the Roundhouse cars are patterned PRR prototype (but without the PRR-specific tunnel brake or the typical PRR external sill.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 01/08/2014 5:42:13 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  8:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ross74H

Doing research on the V&T and looking at your thread is giving me lots of ideas for my own layout.

have you joined the V&T Yahoo Groups?
or the Historical Society?

It's only make-believe

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't mind me asking, how did you weather your coffin car? Thanks!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  02:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ross, sorry I should have mentioned the thing on the parts Dave pointed out. BTS and Alkem models has some small boxcars, they are also easy to build with good instructions.
http://www.alkemscalemodels.com/

On the weathering I first put on a wash with raw umber oil paint diluted with white spirits. After that has dried I use Bragdons weathering powders for the final weathering. Last I dry brush on some highlights. On the green I use white with a little green in it and on the other surfaces light grey. High lighting with pure white looks a little stark to me.
As I dont handle the cars very much I dont put on a sealer coat of matt varnish.
Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 01/09/2014 02:29:44 AM

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The finished coffin car came out great.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn!

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000