Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s
Page: of 87

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice layout. I like your weathering and colouring. I am looking forward to more scenery

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Rich

Håkan,
I was just perusing some of the other threads and I noticed that you posted pictures of a very NICE Wagner sleeping car that you just completed. Could you please share some details with us on how you did such a magnificent job?
Greg R.

Thanks for your kind words Greg,
I'm not that good at explaining how I did it but I'll try:
Its basically a kitbash combined with some scratchbuilding. The roof and floor are from a Roundhouse Overland car and the sides and ends I scratchbuilt by combining layers of thin styrene sheets to make the windows and doors. The paint and livery was made from large decals which artwork I had got from a another modeler Mr John Ott. I had made decal artwork for my 4-4-0 Aeolus based on the Central Pacific Jupiter which I traded with him for his artwork. So the credit for the decal artwork should go to him. I only have changed the colors and some details from the original. The sides and ends had the windows and openings cut out using the decal artwork that I printed on ordinary paper and then glued with paperglue to the styrene sides. The openings were then cut after the print and when finished I removed the paper.

The trucks are from Bitter Creek Models which I added my own 3D printed brake assemblys made by Shapeways. The decals for the striping on the trucks I made and printed myself.

The basis for the car is a drawing in the 1879 Car Builders Dictionary on a Wagner drawing room car.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  1:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

Very nice layout. I like your weathering and colouring. I am looking forward to more scenery

Many thanks,
I'm currently building some more scenery parallell with learning to make trees with Jos method. I'll post some more pictures shortly.

Håkan

alpha_1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  1:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, indeed!

Gord Schneider
President and Chief Engineer,
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Company

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil M

I looked at your building thread and must say that your mini layout looks very nice. I especially like the waterfront.

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  7:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
My hat's off to you! It's not often that we see such a masterful job done an a piece of rolling stock. Truly, a one of a kind model!
I like the technique that you used in building the Wagner passenger car.
As I understand the procedure from your description,
  • the decal artwork was printed on white paper, the cut out artwork was then applied to the styrene to be used on the sides of the car
  • the paper "sides" were then used as templates for the side dimensions and to locate and cut the correct window openings.
  • the sides and ends of the car were then built from the layered styrene sheet,
  • the car was assembled
  • paint and the decals were then applied

Of course this did not include the roof, did you have to stretch the roof and underfloor of the donor Overland car in order to match the length of the Wagner car?
The arched ends on the roof also add a very authentic touch. Speaking of the roof, may I ask what you used as a roof covering? It appears to be maybe . . . paper??

Sorry for so many questions. But I think that there are some passenger cars that I'd like to attempt to recreate and you clearly have a very successful building technique.

Kind Regards,
Greg R.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Rich

Håkan,
My hat's off to you! It's not often that we see such a masterful job done an a piece of rolling stock. Truly, a one of a kind model!
I like the technique that you used in building the Wagner passenger car.
As I understand the procedure from your description,
  • the decal artwork was printed on white paper, the cut out artwork was then applied to the styrene to be used on the sides of the car
  • the paper "sides" were then used as templates for the side dimensions and to locate and cut the correct window openings.
  • the sides and ends of the car were then built from the layered styrene sheet,
  • the car was assembled
  • paint and the decals were then applied

Of course this did not include the roof, did you have to stretch the roof and underfloor of the donor Overland car in order to match the length of the Wagner car?
The arched ends on the roof also add a very authentic touch. Speaking of the roof, may I ask what you used as a roof covering? It appears to be maybe . . . paper??

Sorry for so many questions. But I think that there are some passenger cars that I'd like to attempt to recreate and you clearly have a very successful building technique.

Kind Regards,
Greg R.

Many thanks Greg,
sorry I should have been a bit more detailed in my description. I'll try to answer as best I can. Please see my answers below:

-the decal artwork was printed on white paper, the cut out artwork was then applied to the styrene to be used on the sides of the car
Yes, I glued the paper to the styrene with a cheap school paper glue which made it easy to remove the paper afterwards.

-the paper "sides" were then used as templates for the side dimensions and to locate and cut the correct window openings.
Yes

-the sides and ends of the car were then built from the layered styrene sheet,
Yes. But I used also styrene quarter rod and some various Evergreen strips for other parts of the body. I also glued a thick strip to each side inside the car for strengthening

-the car was assembled
paint and the decals were then applied
Yes, where the decals met a corner or something I first primed with a color similar to the decals maroon color. You can see this on one of the photos. I then applied decal softening solution in several passes to make it adhere better to the surface. Last I applied some coats of satin varnish. .

I used some modelers license and made the car in 50' length instead of abt 60' that it is on the drawing so I didn't need to lengthen the roof and underfloor.

The seams were done by a little cheating. I only scraped them into the roof using a very small screwdriver.

Hopefully it answered some of the questions.
The hardest part of the build was to get the window openings symmetrical. Even if I had the template it was difficult to cut the openings. They needed a lot of trimming to look somewhat ok.

Thanks,
Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  2:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dougcoffey1950

Håkan,
Fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks Doug!

Håkan

Greg Rich
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  8:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Thank you for your patience

Greg R

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  02:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No trouble Greg, I'm not very good explaining things. Just ask if there is anything else you're wondering about. I'm a bit addicted to making these type of cars so next time I'll build one I'll see if I can make a thread of it.

When you start building it would be great to be if you could have a thread on it.

Thanks,
Håkan

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  02:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, I just found this thread... (don't wander far from the On30 forum usually). Your work is wonderful... this will be a splendid layout! I'll be following with interest!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  1:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, Troels for the kind words!. And with the help of all the talent and knowledge here on this forum it hopefully will also improve.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off course I missed posting this before the deadline the Challenge deadline.

If someone reads this that participated in the challenge I would to take the opportunity to say thank you to all. It has been great being part in the Challenge being a newbie and all.

A lot of great modeling was done and I have learned alot.

Thanks,
Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  07:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, it is a little bit quiet on the forum these days. I guess spring has finally come and the outdoors is beckoning.

I have made some progress since last posting but not much. Some progress photos can be seen below. The scenery and ballasting around Dunsmuir is nearing completion. I have been skipping ahead starting to make trees for my future big tree grove.
Also I have been remotoring and painting a Empire Midland PRR H1 2-8-0 of which in the future I hope to post some pictures. I have installed a ESU sound decoder on it inspired by Gregs fine mogul rebuild.

Happy modeling

Håkan

The Redwood grove to be situated in the corner. A lot of trees to make .

The team track. One of the local farmers due to unload a shipment.

Page: of 87 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Early Railroad Equipment into the 50s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000