Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  06:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the car , but wouldn't it have been better to paint the car before putting the details on? The backdrop scenery is spectacular. What or who was your inspiration for the backdrop? Nice.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  08:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New year! Håkan.
I've been so busy working on my projects,that I haven't had time to check out what you've been up too.
And by the looks of things,lots of stuff happening here!
That coffin car,is something that I've never seen before,really interesting looking car.
Your backdrop work looks beautiful,your becoming quite an artist.
Did you sign your work & date it?
That bridge already looks worthy of some rail traffic,very nice work on that.
Step by step, the California railway & Navigation Co. is shaping up beautifully!

Greg Shinnie

Tom Farin
Section Hand

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  4:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom Farin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

I've spent some time looking through your series of posts. Fantastic work. From your screen name it sounds as though at one time you were a fan of Mason Americans, as in Mason Machine Works in Taunton, MA.

They were most famous for the Mason Bogie, and engine with pivoting drive wheels mounted on a bogie truck. I thought you'd enjoy my Mason Bogie archive at:

http://oldtomstoys.com/mason-bogie-archive/

It is the largest collection of Mason Bogie photos on the Web covering about half of the Mason Bogies produced. It was assembled as part of a scratch build project by David Fletcher in 2002 to scratch build a Mason Bogie in 1:20.3.

The reason I'm posting this is the prototype railroad I'm using as a basis for my freelance road, the North Pacific Coast had 2 Mason Bogies, No 2, the San Rafael, and No 8, the Bully Boy.

I have full size 1:20.3 drawings of both engines on their way from David Fletcher and would love to do a Mason Bogie or two in On30. Are you aware of anyone that has done that?

Tom

"An engine ain't worth a damn unless it can pack its own dirt."

Tom

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  5:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And there's one Mason Boogie still running, photos here: http://www.olimpia.com/photos/TorchLake/index.html

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn! I have a hard time mounting the details after painting without damaging the paint so I usually paint everything first and then paint the details with a brush. I had no particular inspiration for the backdrop, I looked at photos from the Pacific Northwest trying to catch a little from them.

Thank you for the kind words Greg! You're always welcome Greg, early or late. Its slowly getting better and better but right now its tough going through the mountains. I guess the real thing had the same problem.
The bridge work has stopped in its tracks as lazy I am trying to find out the best way to rust all the rods without painting them. Right now they are lying in a vinegar solution to see what that does to them.

Thanks Tom,
it is the Mason Machine works I'm refering to. I'm a big fan of Masons 4-4-0 locomotives.

Thank you for the link! What a fantastic resource!
Sounds like a great project with the Mason boogies. I have not heard of anyone making them in On30. I'm looking forward to seeing your project. I have nurtured a thought to make one in standard gauge HO like the Torch Lake in Daves link.
I have seen David Fletchers work which is fantastic. I had some contact with him last year when preparing the paint livery for a Empire Midland HO PRR H1a consolidation I painted and refurbished. He was very kind and helpful in sharing his knowledge on early paint schemes.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 01/02/2014 7:20:20 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  7:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you figure out how to do a standard gauge Mason Boogie, let me know!! I've thought about starting with an S scale HOn3 brass loco, but (a) it would still be way oversized, and (b) horribly expensive if you can find one.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  8:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
I thought of using a PFM mason boogie mechanism. I came so close that I bought one but did not feel like tearing it apart so I sold it again. It was like the S scale one you mentioned a little to expensive to experiment with. Best option now would be a scratchbuilt mechanism and superstructure with as many commercial parts as possible.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  8:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I am trying to find out the best way to rust all the rods without painting them. Right now they are lying in a vinegar solution to see what that does to them.

if you can't get Blacken-it try circuit board etching stuff from an electronics store.

It's only make-believe

Tom Farin
Section Hand

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom Farin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Don't mean to hijack your thread. I hadn't communicated with David Fletcher for a number of years. I sent him an e-mail today asking for a copy of the drawings I remember from a decade ago.

Dave's from Australia. He was in Cape Town waiting to head to Antartica. Said WiFi might be a bit tough for a few weeks. No kidding. But he offered to colorize the drawings for me with prototype colors. I was blown away. He is a great guy.

Tom

Tom

Tom Farin
Section Hand

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  9:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom Farin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Farin

Håkan,

Don't mean to hijack your thread. I hadn't communicated with David Fletcher for a number of years. I sent him an e-mail today asking for a copy of the drawings I remember he did a decade ago on two engines.

I hope to put them in prototype research threads for the NPCs two Mason Bogies, No 2, the San Rafael (0-4-4-T), and NPC No 8, the Bully Boy (0-6-6T).

Dave's from Australia. He was in Cape Town waiting to head to Antartica. Said WiFi might be a bit tough for a few weeks. No kidding. But he offered to colorize the drawings for me with prototype colors. I was blown away. He is a great guy and a huge resource.

Tom

Tom

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  07:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what you did with the backdrop

Bryan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  3:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. Actually my potion worked. After lying in it during the night the rods had rusted. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as I have trouble putting out pictures right now. The recipe was:
4 parts white vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide
(3%) and 1/2 part of salt.

I found the recipe on Internet. I deviated in using red vinegar which I had at home.

Tom,
no need to apologize.
I much agree that David Fletcher is a very nice guy. I remember he mentioned that he was writing a book on early Australian locomotives. Do you know how it is coming along? Has it been published?

Thanks Bryan!

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. Actually my potion worked. After lying in it during the night the rods had rusted. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as I have trouble putting out pictures right now. The recipe was:
4 parts white vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide
(3%) and 1/2 part of salt.

by weight or volume?

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

by weight or volume?

By volume, here is a photo of the rods after treatment.

The Coffin car is nearing its completion and is back from the paint shop for some decals. I made a mistake and that was to air brush on Future floor wax as a clear coat before decaling. I hadn't tested it with my decal solutions and after 24hr the Future still was dissolved by the solution when testing. So I air brushed on another coat with Vallejo clear varnish and I'll see how that goes.

Håkan

Primed with Games Workshops Skull white
and a layer of Vallejos offwhite on the surfaces that will be white.

The white parts masked with Tamiya masking tape.

As green I chose Polly Scale Reading Green as I like that color. In the Schultz article it stated Floquil 40 dark green. After looking for the equivalent Polly Scale and now Micro Marks paint the samples I looked at was to much Olive green for me so I chose the Reading green instead. It quite stark right now but after some weathering it will be toned down.
I had some trouble with sandpaper surface on the green due to my air brush clogging up by the Polly Scale paint. I still had sifted the paint through a nylon stocking but it still had some particles in it. The surface defects will not be so apparent after spraying on a matte varnish and some weathering I hope.

Clear coat before decaling.

The decals applied. Now I'll wait for them to dry then I'll apply the softening solution and hopefully the Vallejo clear coat has sealed the Future. As is stated in the Schultz article it sure is colorful!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice paint and decal work, Håkan.

George

Page: of 89 Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000