Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2013 :  05:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic,
The cat is safe although we nearly had to do a hospital visit due to a fall from a ladder. Sigh, perhaps we should get us a hamster instead

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  05:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I thought to show some progress pictures on the Coffin car. The sides I think is alright now as I got some helpful information from Jerry (Thanks!) As I have been following the 1894 picture I have run into trouble as on the picture the car only has brakes on one truck. I have googled and tried to find out how the air brake arrangement looks with only one braked truck but have not been able to find any info. So I have made my own interpretation wrong as it may be. If anyone has some better information on the arrangement I would be grateful.
The rudimentary brake system can be seen on one of the pictures below. To mount the cast brake assemblies to the delrin truck I bended some 0.8mm brass wire and inserted them through the bolster and glued the assemblies to them.

Aside from the car I have made some slow progress on the mountain terrain. The large rock molds works great and saves a lot of time but most of the time goes to thinking on how to arrange the mountains and retaining walls. I come to my first bridge so I started on that to be able to progress with the rest of the landscape. It took some time to build and I'm starting to feel a bit distressed as I have two more to build . The bridge is not yet ready but hopefully will be in a couple of days. The bridge abutments I'm planning to scratch build from plaster.

I also set of some time to adjust the backdrop at the lake. I extended a peninsular out into the lake and added some more trees to help the transition from the thick forest. Some model trees with also help the transition.

Happy New Year!

Håkan

I also added a air pipe after the picture was taken.

The bridge will be under the rails at the left.

dnaldimodaroloc
New Hire

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  08:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year Hakan! My dad is the expert on 1890s air brake systems so I will ask him to confirm this, but I do not believe that a car with air brakes but with brakes on just one truck ever existed. I have checked some builder's photos from the late 1880s and 1890s, and all of the pix of cars with brakes on just one truck have no air brakes. All of the cars where you can see the brake cylinder or the car is lettered with the Westinghouse Air Brake info have brakes on both trucks. I suspect that the engraving from that 1894 catalogue is a composite of bits from various other cars and did not reflect the real brake system on the cars. So if I were you I would either remove the brake cylinder etc., or add brakes to the other truck. Actually, I would remove the air brake equipment because I'm lazy and that would mean less work ;) I'll let you know if my dad says anything different. Best Regards, Adrian.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Adrian!
Hmm...I should have guessed, the picture doesn't show any brake gear under the car. I was a bit to determined to have air brakes on it .
I think I'll do as you suggest and remove the gear. Unless your father says otherwise.

Adrian, was it common still in the 1890s to build cars without any air brakes? If so were they equipped with a air pipe line and hoses so the cars behind it in the train line could be connected?

Thanks,
Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  2:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful wood work on the bridge, Håkan. I love it.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  3:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff Håkan, looking at the bridge I thought man thats a funny one, but them I noticed the track runs over it....

Have a great modeling year !

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful freightcar, Hakan...and your scenery is spectacular. All the best in the New Year!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  3:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting better and better! Happy New Year Håkan!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

dnaldimodaroloc
New Hire

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hakan, my dad has confirmed what I told you. He has never seen a photo of air brakes applied to one truck only, nor has he seen any Westinghouse diagram for such an arrangement, and trust me, he has seen more than a few Westinghouse diagrams ;) And many cars were still being built in the early 1890s without air brakes. If they had to be run on a railroad that operated its trains with air brakes (e.g. the Colorado Midland or the Central Pacific) that railroad installed an air line under the car so that it could be run in trains in combination with air-brake-equipped cars. (This info is from CM rulebooks). By the mid to late 1890s almost every new car was being built with air brakes.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, what about Westinghouse predecessors, i.e. vacuum brakes? Could those have included single-truck installations?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp looking coffin car, beauty of a bridge and nice scenery work, but I love that back drop painting. I can not recall any mechanical braking system being applied to just one wheel of the car other than hand braking.
Just excellent work.

It's only make-believe

liabacken
New Hire

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  02:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit liabacken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great layout and beautiful backdrop. That wagon and bridge looking good too. Happy new year Håkan

/Magnus

dnaldimodaroloc
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  04:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David, theoretically this is possible. However, I think that it is unlikely that Hakan's car had one of those other braking systems, like momentum brakes or vacuum brakes. Vacuum brakes were mildly successful on short trains of passenger cars, and were used by the Central Pacific on their passenger cars quite early on, as you probably know. And the diagrams for momentum brakes as applied to freight cars in the 1870s and 1880s do indeed show the brakes on one truck only. But apparently very few freight cars were ever equipped with momentum or vacuum brakes. White mentions that the Denver, South Park & Pacific outfitted 700 cars with vacuum brakes and the UP 300. But the Burlington organized the first rigorous tests of the various freight car braking systems in 1886, and apparently all the other types of brakes performed so badly on long trains that from that point it was only air brakes that were taken seriously. Remember that the Heinz car had no home road tracks to run on, so there was no point in the company equipping it, in 1894, with any form of brakes that railroad men across the country were not familiar with. So I think it is EXTREMELY unlikely that it had any of those other kinds of brakes. Not impossible, but very unlikely. And as far as Hakan is concerned, momentum brakes would not be visible anyway since (I think) all of their mechanical parts were installed on the truck. I am not sure what a vacuum brake would have looked like. If I were Hakan I would leave those lively outside hung brake beams on one truck and call it a car with hand brakes only. Best, Adrian

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  05:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
Love the pickle car, one of my favorite cars to build.

I saw the bending jig you had in one photo. Now I just have to have one, so I did a search and found a store in England that sells them. Thanks for posting that picture. There are a lot of tools the British or Europeans make or have that are generally not available here (shame really), so posting unusual tools is very helpful.

Again, great job on the car.

And a Happy New Year.

Tony

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/01/2014 05:30:18 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, Martin, Mike, Troels, Dave, Bob and Magnus!

Thanks again Adrian for you and your fathers knowledge! Much appreciated. I have been away at a New Year party so tonight the air brake will be removed.

Thanks Tony! And I’m happy you found the jig of interest. It is a great tool. I think Micro-Mark has something similar but at a different price.

Håkan

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000