Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 89

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  12:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan, your store came out beautifully! Thank you for sharing the build and the photos with us.

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  12:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Thanks Lynn, Martin, Bob, Carl, Mike, George and Stu!

Carl, I had it on aperture automatic, the aperture was 22 and the time ½ sec. ISO 1600.

I’m happy you’re back George! Thanks also for the kind words on the sleeper. I have another one in the works that I hope will come out even better.

Mike, of all Wild West models I like this one best. As you say the dormers gives it lot of character.

Håkan

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  1:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
Those photos look great for ISO 1600!

--Stu--

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stu, I'm not that familiar how the ISO works on a digital camera other then it controls the light sensitivity. On my old
35mm camera it meant also the film resolution. ISO 1600 was very coarse back then.

Also I have a question. I'm researching the Heinz coffin car colors and found that Irv Schulz wrote an article on these cars in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette no 5 issue from 1978. Perhaps there is a helpful soul out there that could scan a copy of the article for me?

Håkan

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  3:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,
ISO does control the light sensitivity of the camera's sensor. Usually, model RR photos are shot at ISO 100 or 200. Until this last generation or two of very select DSLR's, shooting at an ISO over 800 produced so much digital noise that the photos were not really suitable for publication.
Personally, with film, I never shot above ISO 800. And those were night shots in a freight yard.
These last few years, huge strides have been made in creating DSLR's that would function at high ISO's. Those innovations have a great deal to do with why the highest priced Canon and Nikon DSLR's cost what they do. A buddy of mine has a Nikon D4. I am amazed at the quality of his photos at ISO 6400!

--Stu--

Jerry Williams
New Hire

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  3:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan,

The issue you mentioned, Nov/Dec 1978 Volume 4 No.5 of the Gazette, does contain an article by Irv Schulz, but it is about Ivory Soap cars. Perhaps there is another issue I can check for you.

Jerry

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  5:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, I checked again and its should be the sep/oct 1978 issue.

Håkan

Jerry Williams
New Hire

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  6:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Håkan, I sent you a PM.

Jerry

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your last pics are quite enjoyable, Håkan. I particularly love the train arriving through the trees. What a beauty!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  09:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Frederic!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  5:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I "default" set my camera to 800 ISO.

I also set my camera to it's smallest image size so I don't have to re-size the picture for sharing it here.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2013 :  04:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I "default" set my camera to 800 ISO.

I also set my camera to it's smallest image size so I don't have to re-size the picture for sharing it here.

Thanks for the idea Bob. I'll set the ISO. I have set the size also previously but have had to stop as my wife got angry and wondered why the family and vacation pictures was taken with so bad resolution

Today I started on the Coffin car. The article (Thanks Jerry!) helped a lot on how the car should look and be painted. I have started by cleaning all the resin parts in diluted ammonia as the cleaner recommended in the instructions isn't available here in Sweden. I have tried ammonia before and it worked well. The resin did not feel very oily but I thought it was better to be safe then sorry. After the parts have dried I continued to deburr the parts. The underside of the body I leveled carefully by moving it back and forth on a sandpaper.

It is not very hard kit to assemble as there are few parts as can be seen on the photos below. The casting and detail is quite good.
It comes with two types of billboards.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2013 :  09:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't use 800 ISO outside ether. Unless I was shooting something moving pretty fast.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I hope you all have a great Christmas! We have had a great time with the exception of today when we let out our cat (borrowed from my mother in law) for the first time and he climbed up in a tree where he refuse to come down from. Other then that mishap there have been some time for modeling and I have continued on the Coffin car. The trouble has been the ends which I have no good picture on. I found some pictures of Westerfields coffin car but the grab irons on these photos doesn't match the ones molded in the casting. I guess the one who made the kit had better data to go on. Anyway to continue I have decided to use a little modelers license with the placement. When bending the grab irons I used a brass template which is a great help making the irons the same length. It can be seen on one of the photos. The grab irons was bended from phosphor bronze 0.35mm stock. Some of the NBW were missing from the casting so I drilled and fitted new one from Grandt line.

On one of the best pictures from a 1894 catalog it is pictured with conventional arch-bar trucks with outside brakes on one pair. I'm thinking on modifying a pair of TMW 5' trucks and fit outside brakes from Rio Grande models. To be continued...

I would like to take the opportunity to wish all my great modeling friends here on the forum a,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Håkan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  7:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting work on the car, Håkan.
Thanks for the wishes. Hope the cat is safe now.

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000