Railroad Line Forums - Sierra West The Shipyard HO build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: rstrats ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Sierra West The Shipyard HO build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick Topic Next Topic: I weathered a BIG engine...
Page: of 37

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

The build is progressing nicely, no suprises and am really enjoying the board on board process (although it may take a few more structures to perfect my techniques). One thing I've learned, try to keep the glue to a minimum around the edges of the boards, if there's a lot of glue on the board it's very difficult to trim the excess away (even with a new blade, seems the glue really dulls the blade after a few strokes).

Finishing off the board prep with knot-hole placement:

Right around this time I thought it would be a good idea to set the white balance on my Canon T1i (as you can see I'm not really a photo buff). Easy process (following the manual), hope it improves my shooting skills...

Starting the boarding process, light staining of the boards (chalk and A&I) then gluing to the card-stock:

End result for the main buildings side walls:

Moving on to boarding the upper sections of the walls with vertical planking:

Now, the completed sections with all the windows and doors trimmed to size, sure went through alot o' #11's.

And finally, the completed wall sections together (taped to the back of the kit box and positioned up-right):

Now it's a matter of filing in all those trimmed holes with windows/doors...no cast or plastic window/door frames here, just lots of laser cut window panes / frames / hinges / door knobs .... quite impressive.

'til Next and Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ,
Paul

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great looking progress Paul. You have really achieved a terrific variation in your boards. It really shows off the benefits of board-by-board modelling.

Great job also cutting out all those door and window openings, very neat and precise work.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Karl said about the board colors.
Your adjustment for white balance was a big success.
I bet the colors we are seeing are very close to the actual colors.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul, this is great! Thank you for posting your steps in the process...offering us a clinic in itself! I really like your colour choices. Now the only question is...how big will your marine scene be on the layout!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking great Paul, I'm really glad our arm twisting convinced you to give one of Brett's kits a try.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you both.

Kevin

woody715
New Hire

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  7:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit woody715's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul - I concur with the other posters - you have done a great job with the coloring of the wood. I think it will be a safe bet that your end product will be very nice ( i am making this statement based on what i see here so far and from seeing your FSM kit that you had at the Fine Scale Expo). Enjoy your holidays Paul!

Wayne

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  08:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your build looks great Paul, so far. I am going to build something from a kit this time, this winter. Your build is giving me the inspiration I need to get me started.
Rich

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Thanks for the comments Karl, Rick, Kevin, Wayne and Rich. Mike, I have a few pic's
of the future layout preparation (now that I have rights to a good portion of the basement...).
I've yet to determine the final configuration, here's what I have to work with:

Around the walls penninsula concept:

Shipyard in relation to the rest of the layout, exact location still to be determined (it'll be a small harbour scene):

I've built the initial benchwork (L-girder 8' sections, height yet to be determined) in the garage back in the summer when
the cars were not occupying the space. In the spring we'll be replacing the carpet with a floating (wood) floor, the kind that
comes in 4' sections that you snap together. Hopefully, I'll have the layout concept finished and will be ready to locate the
benchwork and install lighting (I'll start a separated build thread at that time). The sections are not located in their final position
in the pic's (and they can be taken apart for storage while the floor is being layed):

Pic from the lounge area, the backdrop will be extending to the ceiling.

Back to the Shipyard build... I'm still assemblying the walls (lots of windows and doors), I'll post my progress when I get back next week.

'til Next,
Paul

woody715
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit woody715's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good size for the layout Paul and your pictues give a good perspective of your avialable area.

Wayne

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  2:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Happy New Year, and all the best to everyone in 2012! Had a good time out west (Vancouver) over the holidays visiting the family, dropped by a hobby shop located about 1/2 a mile from where I grew up (Central Hobbies, well stocked N and HO with an operating and sceniced N-scale layout, about 6x6 ft.). Would have been great if it had been there back in the '70's (a lot less cross-town bike riding...), but as I recall the building was used by one of my class-mates father... his business was making candies...

Well, back to the build, here's a couple of pic's of the overall state of the main buildings walls:

Close up of the dormers:

Now for the doors and windows, they are lazer cut on a sheet with an adhesive backing. The process is to cut them out and then apply the alcohol and pastel (Remrandt 408.3) treatment:

Pieces for one loading dock door:

All 4 doors, with one assembled in the upper right:

The treatment of the doors:

Applying the peeling paint effect for the door cross members (the same technique is used for the trim). Stiff brush dipped in Poly Reefer White and then most of the paint is brushed off on the napkin, the brush is then used to "blot" the paint onto the piece.

End result:

The treated and assembled loading dock doors, just a matter of removing the backing and carefully lining up the cross braces, applying pressure activates the adhesive backing.

I'll be moving onto the windows, now that I've practiced the technique on the much larger doors....

'til next,
Paul

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul. It's looking fantastic. I love all the colour combinations and differing textures in the wood. Thanks for sharing the plans of the layout and the room it will occupy. Can't wait to get down to Montreal sometime with a few of the lads to visit this soon-to-be great model railroad!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  3:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nicely done - looks like a fun build -

Elliott

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  8:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job so far Paul.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  10:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

Thanks Mike, Elliot and Jerry, this is indeed a fun build and (hopefully) it will look great in my future harbour scene.

Now, onto the windows, these are the ones on the upper floor of the side walls. First,
the pastel chalk (Rembrandt 408.3) treatment:

The PS Reefer White treatment:

Assembling two of the window pieces, the two on the left have the backing removed
and the pieces attached.

Now the Mylar glass is treated with the 408.3 and Testors Dull Coat, nice effect in dusting up the windows(makes them opaque).

Assembling the windows:

The windows ready for assembly and insertion into the walls:

Insertion into the walls:

The window frames will be attched later, still need to keep things flush for the trim...

These windows are a bit finiky to work with, but well worth the effort (tweezers are
mandatory here...). It's also good to remember (keep track of) which side of the Mylar has the backing that needs to be removed, luckily on one of the window panes I caught the mistake before the pressure activated glue set, easily corrected.

I'll be moving onto the dormer windows in my next posting, about half the size of the main wall windows, the challenges keep coming...

'til Next
Paul

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul

Nice looking windows and a great job doing them.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: HO Window Panes with Canopy Glue - A Trick Topic Next Topic: I weathered a BIG engine...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000