Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  2:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marsh_Creek

Jeff,

I doubt I'll put it out as a full kit, But if there is enough interest, I can offer the cut parts as a "DIY" kit.

Rich

Rich,

I'd be interested in a DIY kit.

Jeff S.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After seeing Rich's SR$RL swing motion trucks in HOn30 I figured I needed a set. I ordered them having in mind to turn them in TT scale log trucks. I'll post progress in the appropriate section when I begin the project.

Right now I'm trying to stay warm at the camp. One more weekend and we'll be done for the year. I'll be able to get back to some serious modeling, I hope.

Here's a quick picture I took.

Bernd

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 10/04/2015 :  8:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd...they're upside down? :-) I'm certainly interested to see what you come up with for TT.

Rich

Go Build Something Awesome.

http://www.marshcreekmini.com/

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  9:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did some weathering work on the 3D MDT today.

Also started work on a new model, I call it the PUP (Power Unit Porter). It is based around the Imon PU-101 chassis, which is a quality replacement chassis for the old Joe Works/ Miniland models.

The 3D model will have "modular" parts, so you can choose your cab, domes, headlight, and stack. It's hollow to allow running wires, and adding as much weight as you can cram into it.

Eventually, I'd like to do a run of them in white metal and brass, with a fully detailed drive train. The PU-101 is a very simple arrangement, which lacks some detail. The nice thing about them is that they don't require any special tools or skills to assemble, just solder the motor leads to the pickups.

Rich

Edited by - Marsh_Creek on 10/11/2015 9:49:51 PM

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great weathering on the MDT!

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  9:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, paint and weathering look great! Looking forward to the Porter as well.

-Cody

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents!

The Shapeways Frosted Extreme Detail Acrylic is shipping slowly, I ordered the boxcab about a week and a half ago, still not in production, so it will probably be Thanksgiving before I see the Porter! LOL

Rich

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  1:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question on page one as to where when and why of my narrow gauge interest, it's hard to realize it was over 40 years ago when I was in the USAF. At Lackland AFB in San Antonio (boot camp 1971) there was a model railroad set up, above the bowling alley. I met up with Bob Clark (deceased) Jon Lawrence (MRC author) Miles Hale (DPM clinics) and Dick Schaeffer. Bob opened my eyes to the world of geared locomotives, Shays in particular. Jon and Miles brought in the narrow gauge element and we provided to add a narrow gauge section with that new fangled "splined" roadbed. I left the military soon afterward, but the seed was planted. I even bought a narrow gauge Shay fro Bob that I still have today, and remember that Miles had a few Unitah articulated locos.

The model railroading pot was on the back burner for many years after that, due to things like custom Van clubs, beer, wild women, and having kids with a not so wild one that married me. So after slot car racing, hot rods, raising kids, dogs and collecting kit boxes over all those years, I am finally drifting back to the hobby.

After drawing Lord knows how many Penn/NY logging oriented track plans, I somehow be enamored with harbor oriented New England (ish) themes like Mystic Seaport and the old Buffalo Harbor.

Within the past few weeks I started a thread on this forum showing the (semi)final design of layout, The North Coast Railroad.
You can follow progress at this link"

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46543

Best regards to all my "Narrow" minded forum members.

Dave Buchholz
Rochester NY

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/07/2016 2:04:47 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can add me to the list of active HOn3 modelers around here.
I'm currently in the process of constructing the curved backdrop for my North Coast Railroad.
I'm a bit behind in posted photos, But here's the link.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46543

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing a bit. I mostly wrapped up my Silica scene (a branch of the C&S serving a quarry and an abandoned brick factory):

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46188

... and have been working on a bridge over the South Platte River:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45410

I also finally authored a digital version of my track-plan:

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45516&whichpage=2

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you posted Jeff and bumped the thread up. I posted back in October 2015 I was going to try out Marsh Creek's 3D printed trucks.

I did a tryout of Rich's SR&RL swing motion trucks in HOn30 to see if they could be converted to TT scale. I never got back and posted the results.

I converted two trucks. First I cut through the center of the bolster.

A piece of .040" X .080" styrene was glued into the bolster to make it wider. The axle holes were drilled out just a tiny bit.

Here are the two trucks, plus one not yet modified. I had to remove the brakes because they interfered with the wheels.

I also tried a set of Precision Scale Company HOn3 archbar trucks.

I made a bolster out of 1/32" thick brass. It was cut out using a fret saw. The end tabs where bent and holes drilled in the ends. Look pretty good. I'm using Fox Valley TT scale wheels.

The side frames come with a nib cast into the side to mount the plastic bolster that comes with it. I decided not to use that. Instead I made the brass bolster. This will allow the truck to twist going over rough track. The bolster was a quick and dirty part just to see if it would work. The red arrow points to the nib sticking out. This can either be heated or a styrene washer made to glue to the nib thus allowing the truck to swivel.

And that's were the project stands today. If I ever get going again on the TT module I'm building I'll add this to the TT thread I got started in the TT section of the forum.

Bernd

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  11:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I finished my small HOn3 railbus:

The project started when I got a 4-wheeled passenger car, probably of a Japanese prototype, from a friend. It had HOn3 wheelsets that I used for the front truck.

The drive is a NWSL Flea gearbox and micromotor with a flywheel. The rest are just bits and pieces from my parts box.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  3:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very neat, Martin!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  4:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work. I'm sure your passengers will be very comfortable.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2016 :  8:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Martin.

Jeff S.

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Building the HOn3 Maverick Canyon Branch Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000