Railroad Line Forums - HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 48 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS
Page: of 21

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  9:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That steamer looks like it could be a fireless engine with some small changes.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  6:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Folks,

I've been making an effort to finish off some of my (many) half built or nearly completed HOn3 & HOn30 models, but as usual while waiting for glue to dry on something else new models are getting started left and right. I started modifying an old Classic Miniatures HOn3 tank car to make an HOn30 car, and using the leftover HOn3 parts started building a 26' boxcar. Also, several nearly completed models have had the last of their details added and are ready to be painted. After that there'll be allot of lettering to be done... I'll have some pictures shortly.

So, what's everyone else building?

-Cody

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  7:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy Cody,

Hard not to take the bait on that one.

Well plans are to get the track work and switches worked on this coming cold season on the limestone quarry HOn30 layout. Along with that plan are 3 30" gauge electric box cab loco's using Kato's N gauge 4 wheel power truck #11-103. I would also like to animate the plant to load the cars with limestone. Then at the other end where the limestone gets transferred to the standard gauge line I'd like to design and build a rotary dumper to dump the stone in to a holding bin or directly dump into standard gauge hoppers. That's up in the air yet.

But as you I have a couple of projects to finish yet. One being the On30 critter and several TT gauge tooling items for the TT crowd. Not getting much of anything done model railroading right now with the nice weather and all. Plus somehow that honey due list grew a bit. I did get the honey due list back to manageable size though.

So progress is slow.

Bernd

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  8:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd,

I've been following your boxcab build, which got me started on a couple electrics. Great stuff.

I love those Kato mechanisms, I have a few more stashed away for more HOn30 critters. Looking forward to see what you come up with for them.

-Cody

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  9:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a teaser. When I first got the chassis I did a quick CAD drawing, printed it out and glued it to the side of some cardboard. I didn't add any detail since I was trying to get a feel for the size. I made a shell frame out of brass to fit the chassis. I'm going to make this all out of brass to give the engine a bit of wait. I'm also going to install a Deltang R/C unit for radio control. Those are the plans. When? That's the million dollar question.

Bernd

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  5:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice start on the boxcab Bernd. I've got a couple projects at about that stage, my next being a smaller boxcab based on an old Egger-Bahn four wheel chassis, (that was at one point an HOn30 engine, then an O9 critter and now back to HOn30...). I'm firmly committed to straight DC at the moment, though RC is a very appealing thought...

Here'a a bit of what I've been working on; an HOn3 boxcar and pulpwood car:

The boxcar is based on a NCNG 26' car, besides the roof the woodworking is finished and needs detailing. The pulpwood car has had some brake beams added (not that you can really tell from the pic).

Here's the Classic Miniatures tankcar, narrowed to HOn30 proportions:

It's a 30' car which is a bit on the longish side, but I think there were some 33' long flatcars on the Maine 2' roads, so it fits in okay.

A Steven's Creek Monson Railway boxcar and a narrowed and shortened Grandt Line reefer:

Both have had their roofwalks recently added, they have been at this point of completion for quite a few years...

This car is based on the SR&RL tool car (before I saw the Mount Blue kit for the same car):

It's all styrene and is nearing completion, just needs a brake wheel, some additional painting and some lettering. I made the roof pitch too steep on this one but it's far too late to correct it now...

A freelance 18' Caboose built on an MDC N-scale Overton coach chassis:

Finally, here's a shot of how I have been installing N-scale McHenry couplers on my HOn30 equipment:

I find they look a little better compared to Micro-Trains couplers and they work fine with each other but not so great with MT couplers. They also couple nicely with Grandt Line and Railline plastic dummy couplers. I also like that I can install them in a closer to prototypical sized draft box. I may make the plunge and convert everything to McHenry couplers at some point but in the meantime I'm going to use up whatever I have laying around.

And as usual, I still have many projects on the go, this is just what I've been up to over the past few days. I need to get back to my On30 electric critters soon!

-Cody

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  12:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how to get started in HOn30?

I was thinking of switching over from N scale for a while to HO but never had the space. Logging mining railroads have always interested me so I have started looking into HOn30 but I am not finding as much information as I was hoping to find. Ebay searches for locomotives really didnt turn much up either.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Edited by - BessemerBob on 08/15/2014 01:33:42 AM

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  05:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, you may want to join the HOn30 yahoo group, it's pretty active, and members are really helpful. ( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/HOn30/info ) There are a few RTR locos out there, mostly from the new Minitrains line, just depends on what type you are looking for. There are also several loco conversion kits available, using various Bachmann N scale mechanisms.

Jim F

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessemerBob

how to get started in HOn30?

I was thinking of switching over from N scale for a while to HO but never had the space. Logging mining railroads have always interested me so I have started looking into HOn30 but I am not finding as much information as I was hoping to find. Ebay searches for locomotives really didnt turn much up either.

Stoney Mountain Classic Castings has the Minitrains new trains regularly:

http://stores.ebay.com/Stoney-Mountain-Classic-Castings?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

As of this morning 8/15/14 the have sets and locos available.

They run great.

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 08/15/2014 07:30:15 AM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  07:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems there is a bit more out there for HOn3. is there that much size difference. My thinking right now is I just completed bench work for a N scale layout but thats as far as I got. Its set up to run 18" radius curves and from what Ive found looks like thats fine for HOn30

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rubber gauging around noticed that Kato N-scale Unitrack makes good HOn30:

4.5 foot long ties x 6 inches wide on 18" centers, horrible n-scale.

Has electrified frogs and is bulletproof.

Just thinkin'
Harold

EDIT: The standard Unitrack track geometry gives and 11 foot CL to CL in HO

Edited by - hminky on 08/15/2014 08:16:56 AM

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  09:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, it's probably more a 'what do you want to model" thing. HOn3 is much more prevalent than HOn30, so yes, there is that much more available. My preference is the Maine 2 foot lines, so the 30" compromise works better for me.
Depending how picky you want to be, any readily available N scale track is usable, for HOn3, you have to find a good source of ready made, or lay lay your own.
Doubt there is any difference in space needed to do either, as both are HO scale, with regards to structures, vehicles, figures, etc..
Someone else will have to advise on the 18" radius question, with regards to HOn3.

Jim F

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Thanks for the thoughts. I am a little hesitant with the HOn30 due to the lack of RTR options for locomotives. Now that I have spent more time on the net the HOn3 is not that much better. This will really come down to running on 18" radius. I planned to run a Shay type, I guess HO scale with the Bachmann Shay is an option. I do like the idea of the narrow gauge and making those 18" radius curves looking a tad better.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  01:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought i would touch base here. Haven't been doing much hon3 but have been working on this mine structure http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43473

I Started work this week on some Hon3 18' Box Car masters. I'm Aiming to have them finished by the end of this month and begin casting them. They will be a backwoods logging style car.
Im wondering if there may be any interest to people on the forum and also to you Hon3 guys may you be interested if i look at making them suitable to mount Hon30 Trucks? Would be helpful if you could tell me what trucks and couplers the Hon30 group use most of the time as i will get some to make sure they suit.

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2014 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob, just wondered if you had decided on gauge yet, or if you are even going forward with doing some narrow gauge.
On the Yahoo group, someone posted about a new conversion kit for the Minitrains little F&C loco, giving it the look more of a Baldwin loco.

Scroll about halfway down on this page:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/tfw/index-e.html#HOn30

I think I'm going to order one, and one of the F&C locos. That, plus the newly announced Forney from Minitrains, will be my motive power. Getting set to order freight car kits from Mount Blue in the near future, as well.

Jim F

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: MinitrainS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000