Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 275 ]  [ Total: 277 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - O Scale Bluesky Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)
Page: of 18

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  6:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Karl. I've learned something today, as I didn't know the little window above the door could be opened.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all of your great comments and posts, I appreciate your responses.
I had wanted the door frame/windows to be more of an aged weathered grey look, but, it didnt quite work out, maybe I'll play with some adjustments/redo but I'll probably just move on.

Thanks Frederic, the combination of some lasercut base componants mixed in with true board-by-board construction allows for some very detailed, accurate and authentic items, such as the transome door/window. Building up the window frames and trim with stripwood gives that great authentic look, Brett is the master at creating and utilising this combination.

Next up will be stenciling the front barn wall, then I can glue the barn together.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/12/2012 09:31:01 AM

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  1:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your peeling paint and color are spot on, Karl. The weathering on the trim looks consistant with the siding. Very convincing. I'm looking forward to seeing this next to the brick wall of the cookhouse.

Did we lose Wes along the way?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, I dont think we lost Wes, maybe he's just waiting for me to catch up. Either that or his surf board and mountain bike are grabbing his attention for a while.

I'm also looking forward to colouring the brick, but, I think that is in the next chapter of the manual, much to do first.

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  01:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA

Im still here guys. Karl is right though. The waves have been rather good lately so ive been taking full advantage. I finished some of the machines lastnight aswell as the roof of the tractor reapir shed. i just keep forgetting to take pics. I will tonight.

In the mean time here is what has been keeping me from the bench.

Edited by - wesleybeks on 01/13/2012 05:46:23 AM

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  12:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your work is wonderful. I still can't get over the red walls on the store. I've used the Chuck Doan method for peeling paint- do you remember what the variance was that you used?

Wes, would you be interested in trading houses for the next few months? If you do, dress warmly.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With pleasure Mike

Im a bit tired of this heat we having here so a few months of snow and cold will be perfect.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys

Im back with some minor progress. Karls work is pretty impressive and is seriously pushing me to improve my modelling.

Ive finished the painting drill press and the grinder for the repair shed. all that is left is the grinding discs and the wire representing a drill bit on the press

Ive also managed to complete the floor section of the shed where these 2 will stand.

Let me know your thoughts.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  06:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts are very positive, Wes. Are the machines complete (and old ones, now not in use any more) or do you still have hardware to add to them?
In any case, their weathering is excellent.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  07:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic.

Nope they not complete. Still have some finishing touches to add. Im going to model them as still operational, but not used all the time. Ill be adding the overhead belt sysytem this weekend.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  07:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great start Wes ! Karl, love the red peeling paint on your build ! Your techniques alwas push me to get over my limits thanks !

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin

Appreciate the comment.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at the bench Wes. Great job on those details, nice chip effect and not over done, just used.
I'll be interested to see how you make these 'operational'.

Great work
thanks for the compliments.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  10:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes

Nice weathering on the machines. Be interesting to see how they come to life.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  11:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl and Jerry

Thanks for the kind words. I'll do a bit of research tonight to see how they hooked up to the overhead belt system.

If anyone has some pics, please post them.

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Magoun Pier Topic Next Topic: Steam Era Structures Build (Organ Works)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000