Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.
Page: of 26

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  12:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph.

Thanks for the Earl Smallshaw clinic links.

I'm saving the vids at the moment and look forward to watching them tonight. Good to finally see and hear this artist at work.

regards

Mario

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_railroad_miniatures.html

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  01:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Mario.

Trainz weekend is held in the hall at Ferrymead, and being a weekend, everything is running. The dates are 11th and 12th of August in case that works. If you give me a bit of prior warning I should be able to get a day or two off work.

Ralph - I too will be checking out those clinics in the very near future. Thanks!

Cheers, Mark.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  12:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Just a few questions about your amazing dio.
-How do you do your road surfaces?
-Are you pouring plaster pieces cut and shaped and gluing in place?
-Are you using Styrofoam platforms for the building footprint/foundation?
-Do you worry about the buildings being level or not?
-Do you alter the buildings to suite your needs or are they basically out of the package stock?
So many questions I hope you don't mind, I really want to try this?

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  1:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great build Mark!

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  5:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments Ralph and Tyson!

Ralph - a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll try to show you what I do. Firstly, here is a link to the start of the Tellynott corner module. This shows the making of the roads, and some pics of the plaster works giving and idea of size. There is a link on page two of this thread taking you to another 12 page thread. Many of your questions should be answered here, especially around the structures.
http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4835

Likewise on page 5 of this thread there is some more information on road formimg. Pages 1-4 also have a lot on my structure building.

The plaster roads are pretty much done as you assumed. I then cover them in polyfiller leaving holes to show the cobbles underneath, and hiding the joins. I use two strips of woodland scenics 'footpath' tape to form the footpath, and screed some wetted down polyfiller to form a footpath on one side (the other side has the tape on to keep the iceblock stick screeder level). Lastly compression joins and cracks are carved in. The painting is done with Woodland scenics washes and A&I.

The buildings are all level and plumb - I'm a builder - I worry! The mock-ups are not so much. If you see a building that does not look level or plumb, you should be safe to assume it is NOT finished!

This last question is best answered by reading through this thread and the other two threads as outlined above. Most buildings get a fairly thorough build uploaded with pics at their various stages. Questions are always answered to the best of my ability. The short answer is nothing is straight out of the box, and most are either scratchbuilt, or what I call scratchbuilt using kits as a source for materials. The closest I have to 'out of the box' is 'Rosies Rodents - pets and vets'. The two visible walls of the kit were used standard, but the join was filed to create a sharper angle and skew the building (about 75 degrees rather than 90 degrees). The other two walls were fabricated from styrene.

I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you may have, but I think if you read through all of this material most will be answered.

Cheers, Mark.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  7:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I've read both threads now a few times and I think I've got it, but I have one more question.

I noticed in one of the pictures it looks like the concrete or asphalt surface has broken out in a few spots and exposed the brickwork underneath.
Is that molded in or sculpted into the surface?

Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ralph.

Thanks for reading it all! I hope you enjoyed it and learnt a bit as well.

The cobbles are hydrocal castings. I made a mold up over a piece of cobblestone on a cheap plastic railroad crossing, and cast lots of plaster castings about 2 1/2" square. These I cut in half (all the same way) and then plasterer them in position (all with the patterns facing the same way) using trade set 90. I applyed the polyfiller with a small flat tool, covering all seams, but stategically leaving 'holes' to show the cobbles underneath. Its very time consuming, but I'm happy with the results so am sticking with it.

I've been working away solving viewing problems over the last couple of weeks. I've had to cut a chunk off a road and attach it to the other side and replaster it to make room for a kitbashed building. I'm now trying to work out all my bridges - there are five in this new area, all on a slope! As soon as I have sorted these I'll update!

Cheers, Mark.

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  7:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark,
I can't wait for your updates. I'm looking forward to them.
And yes, I did learn from reading through both threads.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday

Edited by - CN6401 on 05/26/2012 7:11:26 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  10:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Well - Its a long weekend here (Queens birthday weekend) and I promised myself that I would get an update done before it was over!

I've been stuck for a couple of weeks using my modelling time to try to iron out problems (among other things). I went off on various tangents making mock-ups of this building and that, but not being happy with how they looked. I was trying to make a four story wooden hotel to put in front of the high back road, just to the right of my Rugg-a-like wooden structure on the corner diorama (in previous pics it was mocked up as the DPM M T Arms hotel. I had tried various - quite complex - designs (without going into details, something similar to FOS scales latest release - a wonderful looking kit IMO). It needed to be this tall as I wanted to hide the back roads 'exit' into the backdrop to encourage the imagination of viewers to create their own continuation of this road. The turning point was when I made a mock-up of the Magnuson brewery directly behind at the far right of the hotel. Originally I made it as a kind of 'low relief' building, with the side walls about 3" long. This looked good, but after it had sat on the diorama for a few days, it suddenly dawned on me that with a bit of work I could make the side closest to the viewer full length. This would make the building 'skewed' and with two gables I really wasn't convinced it would look right, but after the amount of this sort of thing I have now done I have learnt to always try these things out! I mocked this new configuration up and skewed the central flat roof between the gables and low and behold - it looked great! It looked quite believable, as though it had been built to the suit the site (which it really had) and gave the building such a vast appearence of increase in size - even though the actual foot print had only increased by a small amount.

Next, in order to fit this new shape in, the road behind had to have about 3/4" cut off the front and attached to the back. I marked out the curve with my Woodland scenics 'footpath tap', and proceeded to carefully cut it off. I glued polystyrene to the back and plastered the pieces on the back and trimmed when dry. This, when finished, I also liked better than the original - as the curve was more gentel and natural in appearence.

Now that the brewery had such a long side wall, and with the added height given by the full length gable roof, the tall building in the front was no longer necessary. So, I thought this might give me an oppitunity to fit one of those lovely craftsman kits that I have bought over the years onto my layout! I'm always trying this - and usually failing. However this time I saw some real posibitities. I needed to keep the area in front of the structure very low as to not block the line of site of my Rugg-a-like structure - hence the river and curved road in front. This resulted in a prime waterfront position, a corner site, road frontage on the short side, and with an alleyway behind (also needed to open up a fantastic view of the Rugg-a-like stack, concrete retaining wall, road and Great Southern Brewery Company behind) and to the side, glimpses of the other two sides would also be possible. It looked like a perfect spot for my FOS scale Hollenders Gym! A mock-up was next built, views considered, and a angled chunk then cut out the middle, and hay presto - it fitted! All very exciting stuff, I can tell you!

So now to some pictures! I hope some of you read the above - its a bit of an insight into how I go about 'composing' my scenes, and I believe the essence of Tellynott. Everything is a puzzle to be solved. But I always try to keep the big picture in the front of my mind (which is why I brought my corner diorama upstairs and set it up next to its extention).

This first pic shows a front on view of the area discussed above. The large wooden mock-up behind is a reworked low relief structure adapted from a set of plans in an old MR magazine. It is a fertileizer factory. I had to increase its size by 125% as it was 'drarfed' by the Great Southern Brewery Company. The small building to the left of Hollenders might look familiar to some of you? I have again taken inspiration from a SRM kit. This is the small wooden structure from Curriers. I have reduced the height by on story to suit my needs. I have cut a small section off of a broken DD Addams ave pt 1 kit front, which arrived broken (Randy was kind enough to send me a replacement), and this will be the first story.

This next pic shows a view up the 'industrial' street servicing the back of the 'downtown' buildings and various other industries. Originally I was going to have another layer of buildings around this curve where the river will now be, but too much of the view around this road was lost. The leading line created by instead putting in a river which also eccentuates this curve of the road, I like a lot. It also gives the oppatunity to model a lot more building fronts (or backs), and helps to create the illusion of depth. I have also placed my front street buildings with alleyways giving glimpses through to the street behind.

This pic shows the view through the alleyway to the Rugg-a-like stack, retaining wall, road and Great Southern Brewery Company. The magnuson shop kitbash just visible in the very front of this pic had to be kept low to preserve this view.

And this pic shows the view I have retained of Rugg-a-like. The leading created by the zig-zaging roof line to the city brick walls behind is one of my favourites - and the reason this whole backwall diorama was completely reworked.
[img\]http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/mark_dalrymple/201263223258_034ii.jpg

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok - there was a glitch at the end there so lets try again.

And this pic shows the view I have retained of Rugg-a-like. The leading line created by the zig-zaging roof line to the city brick walls behind is one of my favourites - and the reason this whole backwall diorama was completely reworked.

I'll update soon with some more pics. I'm almost ready to start work on the Magnuson block of shops, with plans drawn up, walls cut to size and a base ready to go.

Here's a pic. The kit was brought pre assembled second hand. It was cheap, but quite a mess. I disassembled it and cut it up, and now it's time to reassemble it - with a lot of changes!

Cheers, Mark.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading along and enjoying the progress!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  12:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark.
Many of us can relate to the problems of setting out a city scene with sloping roads.
But the end result can be exciting.
I like what you have done to date.
You've got some exciting months ahead of you creating this one section....

regards

Mario

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  12:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark. I just spent some time going back from page 1 to catch up on this thread, especially that Rugg structure.
What an awesome design and well constructed. Nearly time for another call to pick your brain

"M"

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  03:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love it Mark ! Great variation in rooflines and hights, very interesting..

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments Dallas, Mario and Marty!

Mario - Roslyns (Rugg-a-like) it my favourite structure to date too!

Potentially a day off due to bad weather today. Fingers crossed! So maybe a bit more progress. I carved the stonework in the second side to the plaster bridge last night. Time consuming, but the results are quite satisfying.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000