Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  3:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking water tank, Mark.

George

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  7:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Wonderful work! Mike is correct...the build keeps getting better and better.

David Guffey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  09:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'm enjoying the progress.

Frank

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  2:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks very much George, David and Frank!

I had a go at some dry transfers on the water tank. I basically found the half way board join on the water tank and started from there working left and right and tried to keep the letters straight. I did actually measure the tank, convert to scale feet, do the 2 x pi x r squared x l to get cubic feet and then used my unit converter to get imperial gallons, so the number should be fairly accurate.

I then drew up some plans for the fish elevator tower. I've kind of spliced ideas together to make something that works for my project. It was hard to make out some of the finer details of the towers, but there appears to be a shaft, which typically seems not central. I assume the fish are ladled through an open hatch at the bottom of this shaft and a belt system something like water wheel transports the fish vertically up the shaft where I guess they could be sorted and put onto horizontal belts to transport them to the canneries. My design calls for two such horizontal belts, one transporting fish along the open walkway to the cannery being modeled at present, and one at right angles which will transverse the four yard tracks to a cannery towards the back of the layout. This second belt system will be in an enclosed walkway which will double as a disguise for a mirror doubling the appearance of the yard - much like Great Divide on the G&D. There also appears to be a small shed at the bottom of some of the shafts, which I will also model.

I was intending to build the model from weathered wood, unpainted, but as I used both sugar pine and basswood for stripwood (due to not having the sizes I needed in one or the other) I found they took the stain very differently. So I changed my mind and will paint them. Colours will be unbleached titanium for the trim, mud for the tower, oxide red for the covered walkway (and perhaps the shaft - otherwise mud) and big sky blue for the doors.

Photo 1 - shows two elevations of the tower.

Photo 2 - shows where I am with the tower build.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Next up was assembling the tower.

Photo 1 - shows the slot for the door chiseled into the front shaft door.

Photo 2 - shows the door glued into position and painted unbleached titanium. I added 4x2" trim to the outside of the shaft as bracing.

Photo 3 - shows the new scratch-built doors for the open aerial walkway. Door handles and a plastic flap door within the door where the conveyor belts carrying the fish will pass are still to be added.

Photos 4 and 5 show the tower from the front and on the angle.

I decided to do away with the small shed (although I may build it and use it elsewhere). I still have two diagonal braces to add, as well as roofing material and a few other details. There is also a bit of work to do re the siting, which will probably involve taking the model out to the barn, putting it in position on the layout and taking some measurements.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  9:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very distinctive. And well done.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  9:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the use of dry transfers on the water tank. The lettering looks painted on. You need to run a #11 blade down between the boards to cut gaps in the letters.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Interesting tower.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  2:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Mark.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  08:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks very much Michael, George, Frank, Carl and Tyson.

Thanks for the tip, George. I'll do that.

A bit more progress to report.

Photos 1 and 2 - show the cannery in position on the layout while I check dimensions.

Photo 3 - shows the raised area (ground level) and the new retaining wall.

Photo 4 - shows the structural framework for the open walkover, and the jig I made up to hold things true while I built the sub floor and added decking. I cut out squares in the outside decking pieces for the posts. The structural framework is made from a bridge kit.

Photo 5 - shows the walkway in the jig.

Photo 6 - shows the front wall coming together. Its a little tricky as it is on a grade. All the posts will be vertical and the angle braces are at 45 degrees to the posts.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  09:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Your scenes look great with all those intricate buildings.

Frank

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice work! Buildings are loaded with profile changes, multiple color combinations, different levels and extra detail. A joy to look at and study!

David Guffey

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  1:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at all the different shapes, angles, colors and textures makes me wonder just how your creative brain works. Mark, this is a great thread to follow.

George

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000