Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding, Mark . Looking forward to your continued progress on this one.

Best wishes,
Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.”

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  3:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark - well done

Elliott

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  5:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good start on this new project!!

swissrails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  08:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit swissrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,what are the concrete blocks made of (assuming you did not posses a shrink ray. . . )? Looks fantastic.

P

Peter (swissrails)

http://www.randomrailroad.blogspot.com

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  2:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Delbert, Elliot, Martin and Peter.

Peter - the concrete blocks are plastic. Once again they are made by 'Slater' who I believe are part of 'Peco'. I seem to use their products quite a bit. Apart from block they do do a couple of different types of stone, crazy paving, cobbles, three types of brick, and several others as well. The plastic is thin, soft (and so very easy to cut), and the detail is very good. The only downside is that the sheets are quite small, but for a project like this one it is not a problem. They are 00 scale, which is a bit oversize for standard H0 sise blocks, but to my eyes the difference is not obvious. I'm sure many localised brick and block manufactures would have brought out products of varying sizes anyway.

I glued most of the walls of the second subassemble together last night and joined the block to the weatherboard. Everything fitted pretty well and there was minimal trimming. Not alot of time for modelling last night, hopeforlly a little more tonight.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  11:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Well, I've got quite a bit more done on my rugg scratchbuild/ kitbash so thought I should update. Still a fair way to go, but should be finished by next weekend hopefully. We have our annual Tranz weekend coming up mid august, and, providing the earthquakes stay away...

(we had another 5.5 followed by a 6.3 on monday - one more death and alot more damage and liquifaction - although its getting to the point where all the double and tripple brick buildings have fallen down now! Our Feb 22nd quake had the biggest ever recorded verticle movement - up to 2.2 times the force of gravity. They are still giving us a 30% chance of another big one within the next twelve months.)

..I will be displaying my Tellynott corner module there. I won't quite get it finished, but hope to have a major section completed. I plan to finish working on it two weeks early so I have time to build a nice lighted earthquake proof box (the hall where the Tranz weekend is to be held is actually where alot of the substantial quakes epicentres are), and a robust stand on wheels to elevate the module to a beter viewing height (and let it move around the hall with the aftershocks). I do try and keep a sense of houmor through these unusual times! Anyway - it will be nice to display my modelling for only the second time, and is very good motivation.

Here are some pics. The main part of Rugg is all fixed both together and to the base. The small addition to the left likewise, and the two additions to the right are all glued together, but are not yet attached to the main assembly or the base. I first have to build some steps and a walkway conecting the two doors and the road. Windows and details are all primed and the windows and doors are painted. Next is glazing and instillation, then sub roof structure. Then its on to fly rafters and rafter tails, and roofing. There is also a small deck to build on the right side.

This first pic shows a wide angle shot of the right half of the module.

This pic is an angle shot showing all the different roof planes and the brickwork behind.

This is a planametric (hope thats the right word - I seem to remember it from high school tech drawing) view of the module.

Here is a view up the curving road. I have started on tree placement, and its out with the notebook and raindeer moss soon.

And finally - a view I'm sure alot of you are familiar with - A volcanic ash sunset.

Thanks for taking the time to check in on my progress,

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  12:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
And here's a couple more...

Here's a nice shot showing all the lovely roof planes. I think the verticle exaggeration has really helped accentuate these, and the angled brickwork behind gives a nice depth of field. I'm happy with how this one is turning out.

And heres the same angle from a bit further back showing the chimney and retaining (both still to be painted).

Cheers, Mark.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Mark. You’ve done a great job of arranging the buildings to give the scene a realistic cluttered look.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on the Rugg scratchbuild/kitbash Mark!
The whole scene is really coming together very nicely.

Greg Shinnie

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  11:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... just like Uncle Jed used to say, "Wehllll dawggies !" ...

Looking good, Mark

Kampai!
Delbert

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way.”

Edited by - LaRueD on 06/18/2011 11:57:26 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this place, Mark. Great angles.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  5:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the comments George, Greg, Delbert and Frederic, they are much appreciated.

Well, its two weeks later, and still not quite finished. I have got a little side-tracked at times, but not much left to do now. The windows are glazed and installed, and the roofs are all on. I have also made the decks, walkways and steps, and painted the chimney stack. All thats left is staining the rafter tails, painting and installing the details, a little landscaping and a bit of weathering.

I spent my day today making a display box for the August modelling weekend. To this I will add lighting, a vallence, and paint the backdrop. A little time consuming with the curved back wall, but I think worth the effort.

Here are some pics.

Pic showing the box coming together

This last pic shows the box sitting on my desk with the diorama in place. It is 4' by 2'. I still have to paint it, add a vallence and add lighting. For lighting I was thinking a 3' fluoro and three spots - one centre front, and one at each front corner. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

I'll update again when the structure is weathered, landscaped and detailed.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  05:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Well I've made a bit more progress so thought I'd update.

Firstly here's is a pic of the box painted up and a three foot cool white tub installed.

This pic shows a front on view of the area I have been working on this weekend.

This pic shows a view under the wooden bridge. My son is coming up to visit next weekend and has a new camera - I might ask him to take a few pics. I struggle to get a good shot of this sort of thing. I might need to get some decent computer software and splice shots with several focus points?

Here is a close up of one of the retaining walls. There have been a lot of firsts this weekend - staining rocks, colouring roads and vines. I'm quite pleased with the way my first one turned out.

And this last shot shows a close up of my first attempt at colouring and scenicing a rockface.

Thanks for taking the time to check in on my progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb work, Mark. Very beautiful!
I had missed the box, it's quite nice too.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  11:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark --

Great progress! Really like the composition of your scene with the various curves, hills, angles, roof lines, etc, etc all creating so many areas of interest.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000