Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the Edmonds building! What a great job you do at scratch building buildings - you make it look so easy!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  12:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Thanks Mike - I really appreciate it. I like scratch-building a lot. It doesn't frighten me, and I don't have to work out how someone else approaches building a structure before I start (as with a kit) - I just kinda roll up my sleeves and get into it.

Well a bit of progress, so thought I'd upload a couple of pics.

The structure from the front.

From the side

And from the other side.

Bricks were painted a mix of primary red and terraccota, with black swerled in. The walls are Floquil reading green and reefer white trim. Thought I'd try a painted over look for something a bit different. Windows and door are just sitting in position. The deck will have a set of stairs coming down the side of the brick wall to a landing, and will then double back to the ground under the deck. The porch will be corriguated iron.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  05:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Almost done. Just the porch roof, the tar paper roofing on the walkover, and all the fiddly rails and banisters to go. Here are some pics.

A pic showing the structure in context.

A view from the side.

Above from the same side.

And a close up of the sign on the opposite wall. I've been working hard at trying to get that painted on look.

Thanks for following along!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your hard work on getting the painted on look is paying off.
Nice job on painting those bricks too.
Matter of fact, it all looks good.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rick on the painting, Mark. What are the walls made of?

George

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  6:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark.
Looking forward to seeing this project live.
Maybe after the New Year I'll drop in for a couple of days for a bit of R & R. ( Recreation & Railroading )

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  8:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mario,
You got your R&R's mixed up.
Shouldn't it be Railroading & recreation?
Notice the capital 'R' on railroading.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  8:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph

I included Railroading, as this is a family forum

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Guys!

Mario - you would be most welcome!

Rick and George - thanks! By the 'walls' I assume you mean the brick? It is made by Wills and is plastic. It is one of the few plastic brick products I have found where the bricks are deliberately not perfect. It comes in three sorts - plain, English and Flemish bonds. They also have a variety of stone and other sheets.

The signs were just printed on standard computer paper, sprayed with dullcote, and then sanded with a nail file. I find if I start in the middle and work towards the edge, the paper starts rolling into little tubes all the way to the edge of the sign. You are left with a very thin layer. I like to get a few holes in it and a few broken edges, trying to still keep the sign intact. I glue it on with a very thin layer of full strength white glue (right out to the edges), and burnish it with my thumb nail (heavily) with a layer of lunch paper over the sign to protect it. I work my nail from the outside of the sign to the centre to try to stop any glue ooze. If on brickwork I then flick on some white soft pastel chalk, move it into the gaps with a soft brush, thumb it in, and spray with a pastel fixative. This helps to give the illusion that the sign is painted on as you can vaguely see the mortar lines. If on weatherboard, I drybrush after the sign is attached.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 09/23/2012 10:17:25 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Some final pics. Still a few touch-ups, and maybe some lights. I need to do something with the front door. The paint work has not come out well, and it needs a door handle.

The deck, porch and stairs, with all the 'fiddly bits' completed.

A front on - the extentions really help to give the feeling of greater size.

And one from above.

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  08:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your Tobacconist store is really smoking!
I love the side stairs,very nicely done.
The roof top sign seems hard to see, positioned at the back of the roof there.
Have you thought about moving it to the covered roof on your nice stairs? Or even forward on the roof it's on.
I agree with your comments about the front door.
Perhaps if you could remove the upper panel in the door, and turned it into a window instead that may help.

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the rust on the roof, Mark.

George

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone, the Tobacconist is stunning.
I think Greg said it best, It's Smokin'.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Edited by - CN6401 on 08/25/2015 10:25:01 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  12:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Thanks for your comments and compliments Ralph, George and Greg!

Greg - in the bigger picture I think the sign will look good. It is directed at a high road so will make more sense on the layout. The walkover goes to FosScale's Hollenders boxing gym, and, as you may know it sports a very large sign. I think if I placed this tobacco sign too close the the Gym the overall scene would lose some symmetry. Likewise, if I moved it foward the bottom of the sign would be blocked from view from the previously mentioned road. Hopefully as the dioramas come together and are placed on the layout, it will all make sense!

Regards the door - it originally had a window in it, but my calculations worked the door out to be 10" thick, and the window in the door made this very obvious. I added a piece of plastic to the window in the door to give it the appearance of being much thinner. I think next time I am working with a wall such as this, I will try cutting the intire door out and instead fitting a Tichy or Grandt line door (far closer to correct scale thickness). I thought perhaps adding a scaled picture of a window in a shop door with posters and signs etc blocking the view into the interior - similar to what I have done to the windows, might achieve a similar effect. Thank you for taking the time to critique my modelling - it helps as all become better modellers, and I very much appreciate it.

Goerge - I'm glad you like the rust on the roof. I used the same method as on the stack for EDMONDS. I ended up over doing it a bit, and spent some time trying to pull it back. A light dusting of white chalk seemed to help, and then some water stains in brown and black to tone down the rust.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2013 :  12:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

I just finished this one. It was originally supposed to go on my smaller 'Fault Lines' layout (to show at train shows in the future), but after a bit of rethinking, I have decided to put it in Tellynott. It will find a home to the far right of the 'extention'. It is scratch-built, but based on Bar Mills 'Tylick Tools'.

As the sun rises on a crisp autumn Saturday morning, Jake, the Bull Terrier cross, manages to get the Andrews children into strife once again!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000