Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 245 ]  [ Total: 248 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: bar mills springfield depot
Page: of 19

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Mike, Mike, Elliot and Joe.
Great to hear from you Elliot.

Mike.S, generally I just paint bottles green, its a good generic colour, I would guess they contain oil,cutting fluid, or some such, never thought of it as important really. Green blends in and gets lost in the scene.

Mike.E, this is the bare bench that you would receive in the kit. (The one in the kit however would be a tinted resin, this is Bretts yellow casting master).

The genius and beauty of having the details produced like this is the flexibility and individuality it gives each modeler. Not only are the smaller items much easier to paint separately but each modeler can use them to their own taste.
A highly cluttered and detailed work area or a more clean and tidy look with just a few details placed.

My own workshop/garage is constantly cluttered with tools, cans, scraps left over from the last project.... etc and that's the way I like to model, high detail.
Brett has again taken a giant leap in the way details are produced and provided to the modeler, opening the door even wider for the modelers creativity. A perfect balance of cast-in-place and individual items is fantastic to work with.

I added 14 individual castings to my bench, (which is more than you get in most other kits, haha) I basically copied Bretts layout from the manual pics, so no creativity there from me.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/09/2014 8:29:47 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thanks for the show & tell. Your casting's are beautiful.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I utterly agree with the others about the fantastic finish of all these pieces, be them smaller details or bigger parts.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  6:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  6:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,what can I say, that hasn't been said already...Ummm oh I know. Fantabulous!

Greg Shinnie

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  6:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl if it comes to painting these beautiful castings your the master ( in my opinion at least) I paint those castings one at the time and spend al lot of time to them, half an hour to an hour ....... paint drip by drip ;) I like those seperate castings to make each bench an individual.
I do this in H0 by building my own bench in stripwood and add vectorcut tools and clutter and preiser castings to them.

DJ

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks indeed for the posts and kind words Jerry, Frederic, Dallas, Greg and DJ. Good to have you guys following along.

DJ, great to see that you are enjoying the individual details aspect, SierraWest has been doing this in HO for many years, the "Shipyard"
and more recently the "Loco and Service Shops" feature Brett's innovation extensively. Cast in detail where it's less visible on interior items
such as shelves, but on midway and foreground detail parts the individuality makes a huge difference, perfect blend.

The difference in the VectorCut parts for me is that they are '2 dimensional', cut out shapes from flat material. Compared with round
handles on tool castings, sharp 3d relief and fine detailing on the castings. Makes a big difference.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/09/2014 9:06:12 PM

trains4ms
Section Hand

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  10:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply on the colors of the bottles. The green is a nice color and does add to the overall effect in the scene. I really liked the way the bench came out.

Mike S.

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  03:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl your right about the 2 dimensional aspect on in the vectorcut parts but look at Anders malmberg garage he used a lot of vectorcut parts the car batteries even two prong porcelain outlet covers, tools, car clutter, gaskets steam radiators etc.
And with the right additives I think it will blend in great, but in O scale you are certainly right

DJ

Collin Loo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the way you paint the castings. Very realistic.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  11:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and Colin, great to read your posts.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  9:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you get going you really get going!!

What a beautiful scene and the detail work work perfect!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2021 :  10:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry, finished pics tomorrow, if its not too snowy/cold out there.
My best to Dianne.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  04:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, nice to see you back at it.
I look forward to seeing more of your top notch work.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: bar mills springfield depot  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000