Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  12:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a lot of yellow tanks. What gas is common in yellow tanks and was a yellow tank common in the US around the late '30's to early 40's. Thanks in advance for any input.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Common gas is acetyleen and with one black band hydrogen, according to your military it can contain anything flamabel. But colorcodes are not regulated by law in the US...

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  2:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
European cylinder coloursThe colours below are specific shades, defined in the European Standard [1][2][3] in terms of RAL coordinates. The requirements are based on a combination of a few named gases, otherwise on the primary hazard associated with the gas contents:

[edit] Specifically named gasesAcetylene cylinders are maroon.
Argon cylinders have a dark green shoulder.
Carbon dioxide cylinders have a grey shoulder.
Chlorine cylinders have a yellow shoulder.
Helium cylinders have a brown shoulder.
Hydrogen cylinders have a red shoulder.
Nitrous oxide cylinders have a blue shoulder.
Nitrogen cylinders have a black shoulder. (Previously grey, in the United Kingdom).
Oxygen cylinders have a white shoulder. (Previously black, in the United Kingdom).
[edit] Based on gas propertiesToxic or corrosive gas cylinders have a yellow shoulder (e.g., ammonia, chlorine, fluorine, arsine, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide)
Flammable gas cylinders have a red shoulder (e.g., hydrogen, methane, ethylene, and forming gas)
Oxidising gas cylinders have a light blue shoulder (e.g., nitrous oxide, and oxygen containing blends)
Inert (non toxic, non flammable, non oxidising) gas cylinders have a bright green shoulder (e.g., neon, krypton, and xenon)
Toxic and flammable or toxic and corrosive gas cylinders have yellow and red shoulders (either two bands or quartered).
Toxic and oxidising or corrosive and oxidising gas cylinders have yellow and light blue shoulders (either two bands or quartered).

Elliott

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  7:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice new pics, Bill.
About the camera and the lack of tripod, why not putting it on a convenient support (can be a little box), inclining it to the right angle using small bits of wood in the right place, and use the delay shooting function. I make 95% of my pictures this way, and very seldom use the tripod.
By the way, your last pictures are great.

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  10:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elliott is 100% correct. Europe has a standard color code for gas tanks, the US does NOT.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  06:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Added a few more small details to the shed &
finished a couple "crude" attempts at trees.
Will post final pictures when this is accomplished.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  06:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to that Bill...

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...Here's a couple shots of the "flakey" trees and other stuff....

Sorry for the size of the picture, but I couldn't get it any smaller. Anyway, it's my first attempt at making a tree.....

Same flakey tree, different angle.

Pretty much where I am gonna leave it. Yes, I will put the shed back on!

Couple of final shots of the controversial tanks! LOL!
I'll be back in a little bit with the wrap up...want to post this before the sys decides to leave me.....

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All in all, I really enjoyed building this kit.
Brett has done it again with this one, and I thank him and the whole crew for all the hard work producing it.
I learned quite a bit working on this, and of course I got a lot of encouragement and constructive criticism to keep me going. I thank you all for that.
I did have a couple problems, but the major one was my fault: during construction, I had stained the window frames and somehow knocked them to the floor. I promptly rolled over them several times with my chair.... I managed to do the same to the acetate as well. I just soaked them in some warm water and placed them between to aluminum plates (fast Track Jigs...lol) weighted them and let them dry. I stole some acetate from another kit....voila! Back in business....So, cmon' one of you other guys...I will be anxious to follow along with you as well....Thanks for being here with the Geezer!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a wonderful scene, Bill. And I even wonder why a moron can have annoyed you with these bottles.

edlek
Section Hand

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Bill. And it looks like the Brooklyn sun was cooperating for the photos.

Ed - ex Coney Island native.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bill
You did a great job on this model, the BEST of your work, this retirement thing you have going seems to improve your modeling and picture taking skills. Your challenge should you accept it (Mr Phelps) is to take on the next kit with the same vigor, and finish the other ones with the same level of effort or detail. Well done my friend.

Les

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  10:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Great work. The B/W shots are very nice. Now to add a vintage " rattle trap ".

Tom M.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys - much appreciated....
I dont know any "morons" Frederic.....
I did learn quite a bit from the banter
about the bottles.....
Les - Thanks for the encouragement! Yes,
I am enjoying retirement, and should get
a whole week up at the lake soon....Thank you
for all your support both on the forum and off.
Tom, my northern buddy: "They jus ain't no mo room"...
Besiders, ol Virgil stays broke, buyin all that sour mash!!!
OH yeah...almost forgot:

The "scratched welding cart...."
In Porky's famous words -
"hibbidy....hibbidit....hibbideet....That's all folks!"

Edited by - Geezer on 04/22/2011 12:53:23 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good set, nice pictures!!! See you got the WB thing almost under control. Now it's time for DOF and shuttertime's...

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000