Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New member, Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!
Page: of 63

Planemech
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Scott from SE Nebraska. Grew up on the C&O Plymouth sub division just a mile from the diamond. Modeling Chessie and CSX depending on the mood on a freelance HO layout.

Kasman
New Hire

Posted - 08/23/2012 :  7:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kasman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Another Newbie! Here is my info:

1) Where do you live? Glendale, CA
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Started at around 10 y.o. have been in and out of the hobby for many years as education, children etc have permitted. As I hit the half-century mark I find I have more time now to pursue modeling.3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? 1920 - 1940 western US logging.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? I model with a local modular group. I have several 2x4 modules in progress. We get together several times a year to "hook up" and run on very large layouts. Sometimes 30+ modules running.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Most: structures, scenic detailing, kitbashing loco's and rolling stock. Least: Adding DCC to locomotives and repairing failed locomotives.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? I love DCC!
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. Architect, married with 3 kids.9) Post your picture - if you dare.

rbp71854
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  08:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? Texarkana Texas
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Off and on for 50 years. Recently returned to HO scale after 30 year hiatus
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
Will be modeling freelance logging layout.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Early 1900's Pacific Northwest.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? Layout still in concept stage, HO scale
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Enjoy all aspects of the hobby.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?I am confused on decision to DC or to DCC. I guess I will learn more when it is time to decide which way to go.

Have begun accumulating some structures,logging disconnects, a PFM Climax & a PFM Heisler,a diamond scale turntable, and have began kit bashing some structures.

Bob

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  4:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My name is CWRailman
I hail from Scottsdale Arizona and some of you may already be familiar with my work. Just Google CWRailman.
My personal railroad is the California Western. Every piece of rolling stock is prototypically accurate because my road is it’s own prototype and I feel honored that so many large scale railroads have chosen to copy my designs for their equipment.
I have been active in the hobby since late 1974 and how I got involved is a long story I’ll save for later.
I enjoy building. I dislike the current influx of RTR and the direction most of the Hobby related media has taken in supporting and sometime pushing that segment of the hobby.
My CWRailman.com WEB site was launched late in December of 2011 as a way of presenting some of the clinics I had given live at various conventions. It has become a way for me to present information about some of my builds to those who are interested in building models. It is specifically targeted for those who are not professional model builders but have an interesting in building models and do it as a hobby on a limited time and financial budget. Big expensive kits are great, I own many myself and know some of the manufactures however, not everybody can afford them or have the time to build them. My WEB site features photo documented builds of scratchbuilt, kit built and bashed rolling stock and structures. I try and offer tips that will help and inspire others to do builds of their own. In my latest builds I have provided downloadable sets of plans for the build.
A friend of mine told me he has seen some interesting conversations on this site about projects that may interest me so I thought I would take a look at what others are doing.

Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: CWRailman.com
Facebook: CWRailman

leonk
New Hire

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see leonk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello to All;

I live in Pennsylvania in a town called Johnstown which has a rich history in the steel industry and mining. In fact the first steel rails were extruded here. Although I have the industry to model from-I just don't have the room for steel mills ect. So I just freelance my layouts and enjoy watching the trains run along with my grandchildren. I model mostly in HO but I build a small 2 x 4 N guage for Christmas. I have been into trains since I was born--77 years ago; in some form or other. I was out of the hobby for some years and decided to get back into it when my wife said she would like a train around the Christmas tree. I told her she didn't know what she was asking for! This started the spark again and my wife now fully understands how serious I was. That was 43 years ago and I still like to see the trains roll along. It hasn't been until the last 5 or 6 years that I could build a permanent layout for we rented for most of our lives and every time I started a layout we moved and I had to tear the layout down. So appart from the Christmas layouts I did a lought of armchairing. I have built 7 or 8 locos from kits and am now in the process of finding card stock buildings on the internet and building them. My layout is still in the beginning stages and probably will be for some time yet. At my age it may never get finished but most model railroads are never finished anyway. I have registered in some rr forums and enjoy them a lought. They are a very good source of info and are full of people who live to help someone in need.

I to hope to be of some assistance in the future and I am sure I will realy like this forum.

Leon

Itchy
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  12:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? Fort Collins CO
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? I bought a bachmann g scale starter set a few years ago. I got started by walking into a store in Denver called Caboose Hobbies.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? My layout is boxed up in my shed at the moment. I went through a bout with cancer and was forced to shut down the I.T.C.H.Y. Am doing better now, and want to get back into the hobby.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? no
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? G scale that ran around my back yard at one time.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Making figures out of polymer clay is one of the aspects I enjoy. Laying track on the ground is the least enjoyable.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? DC
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Brian Martin
New Hire

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  10:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All;

I live near Brantford, Ontario, Canada & started modelling in HO in the mid-80s as an off shoot of starting a small retail model train business. It took a long time but I finally settled on modelling the Grand Trunk Rwy circa 1920 in the Georgian Bay area of Ontario. Unfortunately Bachmann introduced all those great On30 models & now I'm becoming hooked on modelling that as well.

I love scratch building & kitbashing structures in part because of my engineering background. My least favorite part of the hobby is backdrop painting since my skills don't match the vision. All my equipment is DC although DCC will likely happen eventually.

For those that don't know me, I am owner, chief cook & bottle washer of Hamilton Model Works, a manufacturer of craftsman structure kits & details.

I'm also a hobby machinist & blacksmith which has bled over to my modelling with a scratchbuilt blacksmith shop with interior that is changing with the times by adding machine shop capabilities.

I stumbled across this forum while searching for On30 layout ideas & hope I can contribute as much as I receive from this forum.

altoonamodelmaker1
New Hire

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit altoonamodelmaker1's Homepage  Send altoonamodelmaker1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Bob Spaulding,
Thanks for having me aboard, live near Altoona, Pa. 15 minutes from HorseShoeCurve. Have been a RxRer since 1970 and think it great hobby ever. Have modeled N-O, but right building a large 26x54
foot layout. O scale on outside HO in center, Mountains and scenery the two from floor to ceiling. Is 65% complete majority of track and plaster work complete, DCC or DC. Mostly UP in center of HO and Northern,SP, and D&RG O scale on outside. Also I just started new business AltoonaModelWorks, modelmaker service. See my web for details. Majority of structures will be aviable as kits in HO,S, and O scale.
See pictures, any questions please feel free to ask.
Thankz for looking.

Atlanta
New Hire

Posted - 09/22/2012 :  05:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ya'll,

I am Ingo from Bargteheide, northern germany and I want to intodrucing myself a little.
I am a guy of actually 42 years who is modelling a fictional and freelanced model railroad in scale of 1:87 also in H0, H0n3 and H0n30 Gauges.
My freelanced RR is the Great Western & Atlantic RR in the state of Georgia in the year of 1928.
I operate my trains with DC and after re-fitting with decoders I operate it with DCC.
I use the Roco Multimouse handheld with the Roco DCC Central Unit for my first experiences in operating with DCC. Sure the Roco (Austria) DCC System is not the best, but easy and cheap stuff to make first experiences.
the most of my Locos are from AHM/Rivarossi or IHC and few more one from MDC Roundhouse.
The most of my rolling stuff are MDC Roundhouse kits.

Tracks I use from Atlas, Peco, Walthers, Shinohara and Roco in Code 83 in H0 Gauge.
H0n3 Tracks from Shinohara.
H0n30 Tracks from Peco (00-9), Roco (H0e) or Micro Engineering. Dualgaugetracks in H0/H0n30 from Tillig.

The interlocking will be done by operating Levers and Cords to switch turnouts or semaphore signals.

I have three rooms upstairs in my house where I can build a big layout to model some Depots and one Union Station.

Planned are the fictional Towns of Duckburg, Lordsburg, Peachtree City and finally Atlanta.

My RR stuff looks like oldtime Stuff which will be replaced by more modern stuff some years later than what I show to the public, so my Roster looks like of being for more than 40 years in service.

In weathering I am not an expert so I get help from a friend who weathers all my rolling stuff, but I want try to learn from you, if possible.

Nice Greetings,
Ingo
All Aboard! Take a Ride on the G.W.&.A.R.R.
Atlanta - Duckburg - Peachtree City
H0/H0n3/H0n30 Freelanced RR - Georgia 1928
DC/DCC Roco MultiMouse - Interlocking with machanical Levers

V200
New Hire

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  01:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there @all!
A new guy on board! Although Oktoberfest started right now ( I live near Augsburg, which is some kilometers away from München) i found time to sign up here. The "guidance" is a good idea, so let me "do the checklist":

1. I live in: Germany
2. I started hobby: From 12 to 16 years. Than a long-long-long pause. Some years ago I re-started again the hobby
3. My philosophy: Freelance and phantasy
4. Preferred era: From the 60ies up to today
5. Layouts: Mostly Deskopt-sized, several layouts in n scale
6. Favourite: Nice sceneries!! I hate: Technic and electric stuff!!
7. Train controlling: DC (is my understanding correct? In German we call it "analog" - no digitally controlled trains!)
8. Other interests: Learning English, especially concerning Model Railroading!
9. My picture? I don't dare ;-). Instead: I will post some N scale pics soon…..

Regards
Dieter

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, Kevin, Bob, Denny, Leon, Paul, Brian, Bob, Ingo & Dieter, thanks for making the introductions and telling us a bit about your interests in the hobby. I hope that you are enjoying your time here on the RR-L Forums!

jhock
New Hire

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  03:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am new to the site so I thought I would introduce myself, I am James.

1) Where do you live? Hertfordshire, England
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? About 20 years, my dad got me into it
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance modern switching
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Late 1990's to present
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? 7' by 12" plus staging, HO
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Enjoy the scenics not a fan of track laying
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? DCC

Having few issues posting using my ipad so will post more info when I can get on the pc.

Managed to get on the PC, so a bit more info!

My layout is still in the design stage, I am in the process of building the baseboards, once that is done I will use track templates to see if my ideas will fit. The space for the layout is very limited as I live in small apartment, but having convinced my girlfriend at least I can now build one! It has to fit in the living room and be neat and smart where the conditions! With any luck I start a thread on the construction soon.

Edited by - jhock on 09/29/2012 05:06:01 AM

gp30
New Hire

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit gp30's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? West Virginia
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? around 18 years
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelanced, with proto connections.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Mid/late 1960's Little Kanawha Valley of WV
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? HO Scale, three levels in a 10' x 4' closet.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Enjoy all aspects of the hobby.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? Currently DC during construction, switching to DCC soon.

CC&CI: The Chicopee Road
http://cccirr.blogspot.com

Edited by - gp30 on 10/27/2012 09:47:50 AM

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  10:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kasman

Hi all. Another Newbie! Here is my info:

1) Where do you live? Glendale, CA

I was born and raised in Glendale. Class of '62. Favorite sandwich (besides the Original Bob's Big Boy) has to be a shredded meat sandwich from Pecos Bills

John

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  12:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? Pennsylvania
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? About 13 years, with breaks here and there.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Not really, but I'm interested in PA logging
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? No layout. On30, have done N.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Building and detailing models. I loathe electrical work, and tracklaying.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? The Force. I haven't been successful with DCC, I did a drop in decoder install on an N scale loco, and it was a bust. I have an old Atlas Master DCC system that's in a box, along with an MRC transformer that will work every. time.

Rich

Rich

Go Build Something Awesome.

http://www.marshcreekmini.com/

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: New member, Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000