Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.
Page: of 83

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  6:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm super impressed. I need to come back and read more latter. I built a working tipple, it was manual powered and I'm sure not impressive when a giant set of tweezers entered the scene to operate it. Keep the updates coming.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful structure...Well Done!

David Guffey

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  8:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent build! And it's going to be funn to load a train.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone. it turns out that i had just enough tie materials to make the 18" long piece of track inside the tipple. the first and last tie will be my standard tie so I can match the height of the ties on the rest of the layout. I made a jig to hold two rails upside down and glued the ties to the bottom of the rails, then I will glue it all down on the structure base and then drill spike holes and spike the rails in place with micro spikes. I had to do it this way because I cut each tie by hand and they were all different thickness. I could have glued them in place and then leveled them with sandpaper but I would have been sanding across the grain and I did not want to disturb the look of the tops of the ties.

here is the rail holding jig I 3D printed in PLA.

here is the track next to the tipple. it might be hard to tell but the track is closer to the coal bin than the previous track, as you can see by the splash boards under the chutes. with the track at this location the coal will not overflow off the side between the car and the coal bin. when the platform is built across the track it will also have a small splash board, however coal is more likely to go off the bin side as the pile builds height.

you can see in this image I also started construction of the operator platform. there are sockets in the base for the platform legs that I will bring the scenery up to and will be hidden by the soil. Again, I am using small magnets in the bottom of each platform brace to hold the legs tight to the base.

the last time a train ran over this tie was the fan trip 65 years ago.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  09:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work!!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  07:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more progress, the control panel (version 4) is final. this panel has safety latches for chute 3 and 6 so they will not be able to be accidentally opened. The other panels I made I finished them all in nice paint and lettering, then threw them in the trash, so in an effort not to jinx this one I did not finish it until i decided it was the final one. I also thinned this panel by 0.10" because instead of paint I may face this panel with etched metal to represent a cast plate. I also redesigned the knobs so it would apply the pressure to the slides more directly down and not cause them to bind. I will build a temporary wood frame to mount the springs in it until the layout is built.

the tipple has some progress, I am working more on the operator platform. it is a tight fit for the hopper cars, good thing they are all the same size. The wood color you see is just the base stain, what I have found easier to do on this build is to do a base stain on the wood, when assemble it and do an overall wash to tone and tie all the colors together. I have been using three different base colors, all Hunterline stains, then wash the entire model with a final wash of acrylic paint.

you may notice the roof is all disassembled, once again i did not think it resembled the prototype accurately so I took it apart and i am in the process of modifying it. I had too much of a slope on the roof and the open space on the back half looked too big.

here is the safety slider knobs. they are two piece, a piece of phosphor bronze acts as a spring. there is a notch in the top of the slider slot to receive the safety latch. to pull down these sliders just pinch the slider and pull down.

here is the assembled panel, without the springs installed yet.

here is the tipple progress

the hopper car is almost hidden in the tipple

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  08:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This tipple would be the feature facility of any layout, Jeff. Are you planning any more tipples that are this large and complex?

Once the roof is built over the loading area, will it still be easy to tell when to shut off the flow of coal from the chute into the car?

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have an excellent model here with the work you have accomplished on this coal tipple. Forget the wiring, I'm looking at the use of your ground goop and real soil ground cover !

Rich

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  09:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  09:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quarryman

This tipple would be the feature facility of any layout, Jeff. Are you planning any more tipples that are this large and complex?

Once the roof is built over the loading area, will it still be easy to tell when to shut off the flow of coal from the chute into the car?

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

I dont think the other tipples will operate. I may have two of the other ripples have live rock loading so I can simulate the rock train that ran on the Manns Creek, but they would just be a small bin under the tipple with enough rock to load 2-3 Bachmann side dump cars.

The tipple will be 51 off the operating platform so I am pretty sure it will be fine for viewing into it. I am considering dropping the platform 2 which will make it be at 53. I do have one of those tiny video cameras that I have tossed around the idea of mounting it in the roof of the train shed, which might be a cool view for the operator.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  3:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i built a temporary frame for the control panel, which will be installed in the layout when that day comes, but for now I can operate it as intended

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  4:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is really cool. I hope I can get a chance to visit one day and see it operate.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  7:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with all the weird stuff going on with the world today I almost forgot that 10 years ago this month I tore down my HO scale layout to start my On3 layout. happy 10th anniversary, here's to many more hopefully.

I had two good work days on the tipple. the roof is going back together, next i will add the boards back to the ends and install the tar paper. I also installed magnets in the little roof over the levers so it can be removed if needed.

the car shed has made some big progress. i still have to add a few more boards to the end of it and I will give it a final wash of stain. the roof will also have tar paper on it. however, before I can finish off the car shed roof I have to install all the levers and the pull ropes. the ropes pose an interesting problem but I think I have a solution that will work out pretty nice, more on that later.

I did add some ground goop around on the rest of the base, which I made with black paint, although i should have added more paint into the mix because it is drying gray, which is fine because it will be covered with soil and coal.

i have another surprise that is coming soon in the mail for this tipple, more on that later as well.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  11:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
added the arms and a few more details.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had to make a change to the gate actuator rods the other day. one issue with servos is that they need want to stop with no pressure on them, or very little. if they are held back from their stop point they constanatly vibrate from the motor tryiing to force the arm to move, which is annoying to hear and I am sure it is bad for the servo. I finally modified the rods by removing the solid brass rod and replaced then with bent spring steel music wire rods. the new rods have a "V" in them to act as a spring and it allows me to "tune" the rods to get a full range of motion. it was a big project to make the change but the tipple is much happier now.

I also finished to roof modifications by filling in the end boards and not I can focus on the final roof details and weathering. this time I tried using fabric softener sheets for tar paper, the texture looks good and i think some weathering will help bring out more detail.

I added some more wood details, including something that I had to guess on. There is a photo in the Manns Creek book that shows the loading process. in the photo there is a man on the platform, which seems obvious what he is doing, but then there is a man standing in the far back next to one of the chutes. in the photo you can see boards that span across from the operating platform over to the bin. it looks to me in the photo that the boards that span across the hopper cars are used to cross over from the platform to the chutes. I am wondering if the loading process was a two man operation and the man next to the chutes maybe aided in the operation somehow, maybe helping to close gates. there is also a small board nailed to the near front coal bin leg that seems to be evenly spaced from the top of a hopper car to the near coal chute, which I believe also helped a man climb up the side of a hopper car and then access the coal chute. there are not very many good photos so I just had to do my best and build something that seems to look and fit these functions.

here you can see the boards that cross over the end of the hopper cars and the small board nailed to the front leg.

here is how I built the "bridge" over the hopper cars.

here is the overall tipple so far, the boards are added to the end of the roof. what is interesting about the prototype is that the roof was once a standard gable roof, then at some point in time they must have felt it would work better to raise up the roof on the receiving side, so they just lifted it up level and braced it up. you can see on the end of the coal bin shed where there were once boards nailed on and were removed when the roof was lifted.

here is the front wall removed to show the sprung actuator rods.

Page: of 83 Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000