Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: DJ3165 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans? Topic Next Topic: Rope size?
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  1:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, I just started a build post on my hoppers, page 7 of my original post on the On30 forum.

Templot is hard to get going but worth sticking it out and learning.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished my first Buck Jimmie. I got my Boulder Valley journals but they were too small, so I scratchbuilt some from styrene and it did not take as long or was as hard as I tought. What was hard was geting the car to sit level on all four wheels, that took some tinkering but I got it to work. The wheels I used were from PSC, they are brass with nickle rims. I used brass tubing for the bearings and the car rolls pretty nice.

The Buck Jimmie is a lot larger than I thought but overall it is a very small car. I took a photo of it next to my Bachmann Climax and a standard Manns Creek 20 ton hopper. I already have plans in the works to make some castings to speed up the next few cars, mostly for the frame and the journals.

The Slater Creek Ry is going to use these cars for rock service, hauling slate from the mines to dump sites. I will only need 4-5 of these, although I may make a few relic cars for scenery at some point.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

You are right, the do not look as small as anticipated next to the larger cars! I am surprised. I'd like a little more info on how you made the journals. They look GREAT!

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  11:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job!

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The Buck Jimmy turned out very nice. Just wondering ... is that little crank handle on the B end enough to allow the brakie to really "put the hurt on" the doors and get them closed?

Mark

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  09:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet looking little car

Bryan

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  7:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by quarryman

Jeff-

The Buck Jimmy turned out very nice. Just wondering ... is that little crank handle on the B end enough to allow the brakie to really "put the hurt on" the doors and get them closed?

Mark
[/i]

I don't know, maybe the gearing helped, I made mine a worm drive so I would imagine that it would not unwind on its own, especially with a little rust on it

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  7:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking world you have started there!

Philip

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2013 :  4:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a day off and sat at the work bench with the shay and finished some of the details. I added the "glass" to the headlight and backup light (it was clear styrene), then I added the cab glass (using real glass), then I added the interior cab walls using styrene, which I painted a light green color and weathered them with a light wash. I still have to order all the detail parts for the interior and get a crew in it.

After I got the interior done I decided to junk up the outside. I got a little inspired by a new book I purchased, "West Virginia Railroads Vol 5, Geared Locomotives". I sat down with my bag of stuff I purchased long ago and found some stuff to add. I have a small collection of hand tools that I placed in a small wood box I built. then I added a couple larger tools on the one of the decks and a little tool box. I hung some blackened chain in a couple places and then dug out some different cans. I noticed that the Manns Creek Railway used milk cans for something on the deck of their shays, so I took a Grandt Line milk can, shaved off the molded on handles which I replaced with brass ones, then I covered it with some bent tin to make a cover for it. I also noticed that lots of shays seemed to have Esso grease cans on them, so I used my Alps printer to make some Esso can decals and made two Esso cans. I also rolled some brass shim material to form a tube that is used to clean cinders out of the stack, I painted it a steel color and weathered it, including some dents. I also added some screw jacks to the deck. I saw that the MC also had this hose that was draped on the locomotive and curled up on the cab roof, I used some solder to make that hose and painted it a garden hose green color, which now that I look at it maybe should be black.

I also used some baking soda to make the seal material around the smoke box door.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  10:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is a masterpiece Jeff. The Esso cans are a very nice details. You should enter this thing in a contest or two, especially the NNGC.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

us-okrim
New Hire

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  12:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

I have been following your O-scale thread for quite a while now, probably since middle 2010. Since that time I am reading everything I can find posted by the coaltrain man. I am actually still quiet disturbed by the fact that you ripped out a perfectly fine Roanoke Southern railroad in order to start fresh with the Slater Creek Railway. This HO layout is one of the best I have ever seen, especially since it was a very small railroad and you got accomplished so much. Given the fact that you now think about using the adjacent room for Slater Creek, I really wonder what could have been done to the Roanoke Southern. Besides all that I did understand your thinking on why you took the railroad down and started fresh. You missed the building part of the hobby and needed a new challenge, besides have accomplished all your goals with the Roanoke Southern.

Your O-scale adventures look fantastic. All the cars you have scratchbuild look rocking. Nothing stock compares to that. My favorite part of the hobby is layout work, laying track and scenery. Therefore I am looking forward to your next projects since you already cut the plywood for laying some more track and hopefully get back into the swings with scenery work. The unloading trestle and shed look stunning, canít wait to see more of that.

Hello from Milwaukee, WI. Keep up the great work. Believe it or not. You inspire a few people out there. Thanks for sharing your modeling adventures.

Mirko

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  07:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished my 6hr video on building an operating Manns Creek On3 hopper over on the On30 board and now it is time to get back to the layout (sort of). I can't install the new roadbed yet because I am using the layout as a place to stain my kitchen cabinet doors, which should be done in the next week. In the meantime I am tinkering with a Westside Heisler I got from Brian Bond. My goal with the Heisler was to put a new motor in it, trouble is the gear ratio is so high that I can't get a can motor with enough RPMs so the motor has to run wide open just to get the locomotive to move, which causes a lot of noise. So I contacted Lee Snover at Leetown Models and he set me up with a Faulhauber motor and a couple sprockets and a chain, along with some instructions on how he converts these models to chain drive. Well I took it a little farther and designed a new gearbox to house the sprockets and chain and allow the motor to have some adjustments to set the chain tension. Also, I designed it to have the motor mounted in rear part of the boiler so I can detail the cab and have the tender open for a decoder and speaker. I sent the parts off to Shapeways to have them created.

the brass frame is the existing frame of the Heisler and the new gear case is gray. The gearbox uses two of the existing gearbox mounting screw holes, two new ones need to be drilled. The motor cup has notches to clear the Heisler frame castings.
[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/70NovaSS/media/Slater%20Creek%20Ry/GEARBOX1.jpg.html][/URL]

inside the gear box, the upper cover is removable and there are two slotted holes to allow the motor cup to move up and down.
[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/70NovaSS/media/Slater%20Creek%20Ry/GEARBOX2.jpg.html][/URL]

the bottom of the box shows that a slight amount of the existing gearbox hole will need to be removed. the bronze bearings are taken from the original gearbox.
[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/70NovaSS/media/Slater%20Creek%20Ry/GEARBOX3.jpg.html][/URL]

the bottom of the box comes off to allow the lower drive shaft to be installed.
[URL=http://s91.photobucket.com/user/70NovaSS/media/Slater%20Creek%20Ry/GEARBOX4.jpg.html][/URL]

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  08:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

You certainly come up with some very creative solutions! Looking forward to seeing how you re-work/ make a new creation out of this engine. She's a BIG engine.

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  09:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

Surprised to hear Brian let go of that big honkin' Heisler. I wonder what he has in mind for running the Coal Turn on his layout?

Piedmont Soapstone has also purchased several items from the DC&L:

The little saddletank is a good runner, and has been in regular service since arriving on the property.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  09:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a cool looking little locomotive, what did it start life as?

I am working on shrinking that Heisler. I am designing a new smaller cab that will be like the one on my shay #8. I think shrinking that cab will be a huge step forward on reducing the size of that locomotive. I kind of like the big look of the boiler but I might drop it a little so the locomotive does not look so tall. I also am thinking of adding some air tanks under the walkways and some clutter to help lower the bulk of the body. I actually think it will become a nice addition and I feel the running quality will be so improved that it might be used more than I thought.

through this process of repowering the Heisler it has got me thinking of a way to make new parts for converting the Kemtron shay to drive from the cyliners instead of the rear truck. I am not a big fan of driving the rear trunk, then converting the power to the side gears, the friction loss at the cylinders then running through another set of gears to the front truck. the power loss at when you go from the rear wheels to the side gears is amazing because the gear ratio is the wrong way and any friction in the shafts is magnified because of the backwards ratio. I was thinking of making a new cylinder base that brass details will be added. I ordered the new Heisler parts in Shapeways new black detail material, if it looks good I will design some conversion parts. I was also thinking of designing plastic bolsters for the Kemtron trucks so the side frames are insulated, and the new bolsters would have extra contacts for better electrical pickup and not rely on the frame for power.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: jacks cabin water tank plans? Topic Next Topic: Rope size?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000