Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  07:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That shay has that Mann's Creek look for sure.

Mark

W,L,&E

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang

Phantastic!
It must be fun to operate this railroad.

Wolfgang

I wouldn't know

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, enjoyed meeting you briefly at Mark's....would have liked to spend more time talking Mann's Creek.
Your shay is terrific. I really like your coloring esp. the decision to paint the stack in the steel color. (There is a color photo on the back cover of the Meadow River book showing their #7 with it's hugh RH stack and it's rusty color with the interesting darker black sections where the new rust hasn't taken hold just yet.) I'm really impressed with the quality of the work you are doing...I hope to be able to take some time soon to work on my own rolling stock....I've been working overtime on the rr knowing I may have to make a move soon if a new job rolls along....tom

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  2:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the long delay in updating this post. My work increased form 60 hours per week to 90, nice on the wallet but no railroad time at all. Also, I still have not yet received my Grandt Line order, it has now been six months, every time I call they say it will ship the end of the week. From what I hear Grandt line is a great company so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, and still holding on to hope that my order will show up.

However, I did travel to Phoenix AZ a couple weeks ago and stopped at Coronado Scale Models, fun place to stop but you better know what you want because everything is behind the counter (and a back wall). I started talking to the guy there and I told him I was working on a Kemtron shay and that I was waiting on some Grandt Line stuff. The guy ducked behind the back wall and returned with some parts and an old instruction sheet. The parts he had were the gears and the motor cup to install my new motor in my shay. Over the last couple weeks I have managed to get the new (old) Grandt line gears installed in the Kemtron shay and after last nights tweaking session I got it running really good, now I am getting excited to get back to work on the layout, when my work slows down. It should not take to long now to finish the shay and get back to working on the layout.

sorry no new pictures, really nothing to see anyways.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is great news Jeff!

Glad to see you back at work. At least you could shoot some video of your Kemtron Shay??

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  8:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, glad to hear you got to Coronado....Stan and Sheldon are a tremendous asset to our hobby....and yes, they do have a treasure trove of "goodies" stored in the bowels of their store...I have never been disappointed with mail order business with them over the years....you tell them what you need and a week later it usually shows up!
Having the Fahlhaber geared motor installed is really going to give your shay some real muscle and slow, smooth performance. I have a Kemtron shay kit and motor set aside for the day I get back to 3' modeling....
Looking forward to some additional shots of the shay "at work"....tom

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  06:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

That is great news Jeff!

Glad to see you back at work. At least you could shoot some video of your Kemtron Shay??

Arthur

No slowing in the work yet, so not much work on the RR. I am slowly wiring up the shay, there are more wires in this shay then there were under my HO layout when it was finished..., well not really but it seems that way. I have two speakers, one in the firebox and one in the stack, headlight, backup light, firebox lights, cab light, two wires to the front truck, and two wires to the rear truck. There are plugs in the tender to allow the boiler to be removed, plugs under the boiler to disconnect the front headlight and the speaker in the stack, and plugs on the trucks to allow them to be removed. Getting all those wires tucked in has been fun...not. when I get all the wiring done and the boiler mounted back on I will take some video. I just got an Ipad and the Imovie app which makes it really easy to take video and quickly post them to YouTube. In the future I may just do video post, saves on typing and the HD video from the Ipad shows nice detail. What is strange is that the Ipad can take pretty nice HD video but the still camera really sucks on it.

BTW, I still have not received my Grandt Line order, it has now been 8 months. I called them 5 weeks ago and they said the order was in the mail, it never came, I called them back they said they would send another one, in never came, called them a few days ago and they said they would send another one with a tracking number, I have not seen the tracking number yet, maybe today. This is very strange because prior to this everything has been great getting stuff from them.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  06:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"BTW, I still have not received my Grandt Line order, it has now been 8 months. I called them 5 weeks ago and they said the order was in the mail, it never came, I called them back they said they would send another one, in never came, called them a few days ago and they said they would send another one with a tracking number, I have not seen the tracking number yet, maybe today. This is very strange because prior to this everything has been great getting stuff from them."

where have i heard this before? oh yeah that was my expriance too, i gave up after 6 months and apperntly two orders being sent, and like you, no tracking number (did they say they would get one from the post office too?) and thanks tot he exchange rate changing, i lost out on £30 (about $60) i ordered the same items via a store in the uk and had everything in about 3 weeks, now on i order grandtline stuff via them since they seam to be the only people beside the 7mm narrow gauge association in the uk who stocks and can order grandtline stuff in, so i advise people to order from a store. sorry to hear you've had the same problems i did.

Just a fan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problems with Grandt Line here too! Sent an order via fax to them in July. I followed that up with an email in August. Got an immediate response saying it'd be a week or so. Now it's 3 months later. Good thing my credit card wasn't charged.

Jeff

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i know grandtline are more intrested in filling the orders for shops and stores, but almost everyone ive seen talk about an order directly has said its been some months before they got the order, or just never got. bit of a shame really.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  6:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Les Davis has a great advice- he says he always stocks up on Grandt line items when he sees them, whether or not he needs them at the time, only because he knows it is hard to deal with them.

I don't understand why Grandt line continues to play with fire as far as customer satisfaction goes- as it is, right now, it would not be hard for a similar business to come along with the same products and just push them into oblivion just by having excellent customer service.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  05:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just can't believe that they can tell me "it has been sent", or "we will get it out tomorrow", three times and nothing happens. I am going to call them one more time to have them tell me what I ordered (because I can't remember) and then tell them to cancel it, then I will order it from Coronado, those guys have been really good to me and get me stuff fast.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMHO i think it would be better for grandtline to just stop taking orders directly, like arthur said they are playing with fire and it seams grandtline isnt set up as a shop, but as a factory.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  07:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always got great service from Ticky and they now include pre-cut glazing for the windows.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000