Railroad Line Forums - Westport River Lumber Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Westport River Lumber Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: Vindication For A Sound Idea
Page: of 69

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Must thank Randy for bringing these pictures up front again, real good looking scenes !! Hope to see more..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  9:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Well I finished the engine. The only concern I have is the instructions say it about 10 HP, and I wonder if that is enough to power a mill. I plan on using it anyway.

Roland

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  01:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet little thing! I love the weathering.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  3:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice engine, Roland. The weathering shouldn't be too hard, though, on a working machine.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  6:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Frederic. It is a little less weathered in person than the photo shows.

Roland

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  8:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Roland,

I have read about a 12 HP hit and miss from an old sawmill so I think that is fine- I know that in regard to the size of your layout, your sawmill is not oversized, so I think this will work out.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  11:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really good, Roland. If you need a place to set it while you finish your sawmill, I can think of a place...nice desert setting, hardly any rust... :)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  07:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see you back. The engine is looking fine as usual your talent is showing up again. The proper amount of weathering.

Jerry

Ps. I sent you a PM.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  6:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.

Arthur, I bored out the cylinder and added an oversize piston. It is now at least 12hp.

Roland

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  8:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of the old engines had surprisingly small hp ratings-the Crown-Lead stamp mill in California used a 10hp motor on a 25 stamp mill, but usually a 10hp motor would be better suited for a smaller battery such as a 5-8stamp mill.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  10:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeless

Thanks everyone.

Arthur, I bored out the cylinder and added an oversize piston. It is now at least 12hp.

Roland

With a blower and superheating, you could probably find another 4 horses...

reklein
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  11:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are clubs here in Idaho and Washington state that specialize in playing with these type of engines, I'm sure they are all over the U.S. Anyway they range from the smaller 1 or 2 HP engines on up to the 12-25 Hp range. Some with flywheels as large as % feet in diameter and used in the oil fields as pump engines, up to the fifties at least. A fun aspect of these engines is that they are displayed in running condition at fairs in the area and often have machinery attached which do things like grinding grain or flour, crushing cans,sawmills,small threshers etc. Lots of fun. Bill in Idaho

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished the boiler this morning. Now off to the paint shop(basement)for a coat of flat black. After that, weathering and lots of rust. I like the look of the one Serria West has on their website. I ordered most of the interior sawmill machinery from SW, now will have to wait until it gets here before I can go further.

Roland

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat boiler Roland, see how you finish it, but I think it'll be a fine piece again..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland, good looking boiler.
That's not a SW is it?

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 69 Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: Vindication For A Sound Idea  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000