Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  7:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wall is looking great, Karl. The bottom of the boards, where the wood is rotten, is excellent. Your work reminds me more and more of Chuck Doan's.
Your ideas about the polishing of the wood tend to converge with mine. I've been sure for a while, and have told it a few times here, that we tend to over grain our wood, much more than what we generally see in the real world.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow, i think that wood looks spot on!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  10:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kris, quick, easy and repeatable works for me, glad you like it, I added an extra step to my previous post that I had forgottem, sorry. (rub graphite with fingertip)

Thanks indeed Frederic, the main part of the broken/rotten boards is that I break them to length rather than cutting them. There is some fine tuning and additional work after that but it is made easier.

I agree with you on the over graining,but more from the stand point that my own personally has been too big, I am working on a few new ideas/tools to fix this and make finer grain, though still portraying deep and aged.

Thanks very much Andy.

After a miserable day working today I hope to get back to the other three walls and the model bench tomorrow for some more progress.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/12/2010 10:18:49 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  06:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More fantastic work Karl.

Looking forward to more pics of your work. Im also keen to hear about your tools and ideas to make the graining on your wood finer.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wesleybeks

Im also keen to hear about your tools and ideas to make the graining on your wood finer.

Thanks Wes, here is one that I used for the previous wall.

Simply 5 pins pushed through the end of a styrene tube....

I found that this has several advantages over the wire brushes I generally and still do use.

Very little or no fuzz..... Yeah!!!

As the pins are very sharp the graining is very thin/fine.

The pins can be slid in and out of the tube to produce more or less flex, thus producing varying severities of destruction distress.

The styrene tube is flexible so, the closer to the pins you hold it again you can vary the effects.

If the pins become dull they can be removed and replaced.

Cheap, quick and easy to make. (and I liked the results )

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Karl

Thats a great idea. I will make one tonight and try it some time.

Thanks

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wes, here's another one...

Unfortunately I threw away my container of old razor blades and exacto blades the week before I came up with this idea, so, it needs more blades in it and I havent used it yet, but here it is.

The Blade-pen.

Cut off the 'nib' end of a pen.
Insert a bunch of old dull exacto blades.
Nice tight graining.
You can use the point or the back of the blades for different effects.
I will probably also put spacers between some of the blades to vary the width of the graining.

I need another four or five blades in this one and then I'll probable epoxy them in so they dont pop out.

I think it has potential, time will tell.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/12/2010 10:46:04 AM

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the effect and the tools Karl. Does a very good job of making the siding look old.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  4:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Chris.

The four main walls almost finished, some nails and final detailing then assembly.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  4:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of wonderful ideas, Karl. The multi blade and multi nail tools are very clever!!!
And the three close-ups of the walls are absolutely fabulous. I can hardly see how this wall could be more realistic in real life.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  5:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl --

Thanks for sharing you tool tips and ideas. The results are outstanding and the ideas give at least a few of us some new things to try!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Frederic and Dallas, very appreciated.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  9:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl

Outstanding job on the walls. Knot holes are just perfect. And thanks for the tip on how you did them.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Wow thanks for all of the great tool ideas. Your walls are fantastic, the decaying effect on the lower part of the walls look so real.
Larry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  10:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Jerry and Larry, your comments are very rewarding, and you're welcome. I enjoy the sharing of ideas, it leads to more ideas and more sharing for us all I think.

Karl.A

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000