Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, the color on your siding material looks really good.. Is there anything you did beyond a standard A/I solution to achieve these results?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Danny,

After the a&i had throughly dried I coloured the wood further using the chalk method from the Tool/Rigging shed kits. I used dark, medium and light grey chalks.
Most pieces then got another a&i swipe with a paintbrush, some got a light sanding with 400 grit to enhance the grain and some got a polishing using photocopy paper to give them a silvery shine(which doesnt show in the pics)

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/09/2010 09:07:21 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl Nice job on the coloring of the siding so far.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl. I will give that a try. Yours is some of the most natural looking aged wood that I have seen... nice job.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  6:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Great job on the wood siding.
I have the tool shed sitting here but have not started. I can not find any Blacken it in town for the metal details.
Larry

Edited by - BigLars on 04/09/2010 10:15:06 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Check with your local jeweler. They may sell you a bit of the solution they use once you explain your need. This is a stronger strength Blacken-it. I had to take a small plastic (old Blacken-It) bottle with me for them to put it in.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The beginings of the rear wall, still needs more colouring and detailing.

Karl.A

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... Great knot-holes!! I like it, very natural looking. OK... quick tutorial time... how did you create them?

It looks like the holes were accented via an A&I wash, but I question some of the holes. Did you spot stain them from the other side of the wood, and if so, were you using something like a dark umber wash as the color of some of the holes does not seem to fit with an A&I wash.

Also, your idea of using photo paper to 'polish' the wood is an insteresting idea, and one I'm going to have to remember when I do my O-scale builds. Do you know if this works in HO scale?

Man... that wood wall is looking better and better as I type this. Very well done and I can't wait to see a complete structure with this weathering process.

-- KP --

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your wall definately has that aged look of one that has been around a long while.

Mark

W,L,&E

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Just the four Steve????

I understand your reluctance and confidence level very well, a good place to start on the Tool Shed as a confidence booster is with the laser cut framing. This will give you a chance to try out Brett's colouring method and realise how easy it is. The framing will eventually be mostly hidden but the method is very forgiving and mostly reversable if you dont like your first try or two. Win/Win.

Karl.A

LOL Karl, only 4 kits in progress, might as well make it 5. I appreciate your encouragement and you make a good point. Time to clear the work bench and get started this coming week.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  1:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those knot holes do look good.
Not oversized like I sometimes see.
Waiting to read how you did them.

Edited by - Rick on 04/10/2010 1:13:35 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  2:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the positive responses and replies.

Kris, the polishing was done with photoCOPY paper, though any paper would work, there is no reason why it wouldnt work in HO.

I'll describe the knots/holes later today.

The above is actually a scan of the wall and not a photo, I find this more accurate for colours, though the texture doesnt show so well as per the finer graining. Also the A&I along the bottom of the wall was still wet which is why it looks...... wet

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/10/2010 2:22:48 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Outside photo, in the shade.

Knot hole info to follow.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  3:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The knots/holes were made by...

I sharpened the lead of my 0.5 drafting pencil to a needle point on 400 grit sand paper.
I used the pencil to drill a hole (sometimes all the way through sometimes not)
I then used the tip of the pointed lead to elongate the hole.
I then lightly rubbed the knot with a fingertip to blend any excess graphite into the stripwood around the hole

I felt some of these were too 'black' so I faded them into the wall with some med grey chalk on a fine detail brush just on the hole.

This faded them too much so I went back into the holes with a very fine detail brush and A&I. (I blotted off most of the A&I so that it didnt soak into the wood, just into the hole and the adjacent split.

I may dull them down very slightly to finish them off but with further handling during construction I think they will blend in on there own, if not I'll put some more work into them.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/11/2010 10:38:29 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  4:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderfully simple, yet effective technique. I think it was the gray chalk throwing me the curve, but I like the effect.

-- KP --

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000