Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 196 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

If a woodchuck could chuck wood how much......
Hey I really like the pile of wood what did you use? Natural coloring or you added to it??

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  1:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kris and Jerry: The wood pile is made from real wood. We call them Texas Privet in CA. It's a bush(weed) that is incredibly fast growing; like 2-3 feet per year. I have a hedge row across a 40ft section in my front yard. I cut off pieces ~6 ft in length and 1/2"-1" in diamter at the base and let them dry for several months. I don't know if the drying part is needed or not.

I cut them in O scale chunks 1-2' long and take a sharp chisel and cut off pieces for the wood pile.

I just finished triming this beast and have a yard trailer full. If you would like some, let me know.

Thanks for your comments...Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
I like the finishing touches on this, right down to the dirt. My only nit is that the roof is way to elegant for a building supporting this operation. Your shingling is top notch...well done!!!!
Les

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed following along on this structure build. It looks fantastic. Very well done, and structurally sound. The painting on your mill engine is superb. This is a fine O scale build.
I do not have any plans, but want to attempt a similar scratchbuild of this in HO scale. I would begin a new thread showing techniques, but as a newbie, I'm not sure to try that one any day soon. Perhaps I will build it, then show it for commenting at a later date.
All in all, very nice..

Rich

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Les: Thanks for your comments, and I agree about the roof. I can (1) say that it has recently been re-roofed or (2) attack it with an exacto blade and make it look old and in need of help. To be honest, I'm not sure how to proceed on that one. Anyone care to comment?

Rich- thanks for your kind words. I'm a newbie myself, this being my first "craftsman kit" structure. I've built many structures over the years, but nothing to this level. If you have read the build, you realize how much help and advise I've received from fellow Railroad-Line modelers. Good luck.....Joe in Morgan Hill,CA

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  12:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the roof looks great and vote for option #1. You could somewhere in the back of the diorama have a pile of used shingles and a ladder or two along with a roll of felt paper to give the viewer a sense that the roof had been redone not too long ago. This would get the viewer to look for other 'stories' within the diorama.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

I think the roof looks great and vote for option #1. You could somewhere in the back of the diorama have a pile of used shingles and a ladder or two along with a roll of felt paper to give the viewer a sense that the roof had been redone not too long ago. This would get the viewer to look for other 'stories' within the diorama.

Joe that is a great idea from Kris and I also like the number 1 option.

Oh by the way I sent you two (2) emails check your PM Box

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris: That is an outstanding idea; man I'm glad you guys are around.

Jerry: I'm not used to checking my PM's'- sorry about that. I responded.

Regards, Joe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: I finished off the back yard with castings and dirt. Comments welcome.

Next up is bushes, grass, weeds, trees and etc.

Regards, Joe in Morgan HIll, CA CCCModOn30

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I think it's looking really, really nice. Great placement of the castings. I have two minor nit's to bring to your attention for whatever their worth.

Nit#1: On the old vertical boiler in the second picture there is a almost perfect round light rust pattern, which one would not see. One could say that there was a builders plate or something there, but it for some reason catches my eye right off the bat and seems out of place somehow. It may also have something to do with the light and the picture, so it may not exist in real life... I just don't know...

Nit#2: The path on the outside of the fence appears to be the same color as the rest of the ground cover around it. I would expect it to be just a bit lighter in color, like what you have done with the major path to the shed. I suggest however, that you try to lighten it just a bit, but not as much as the major path to the shed, and then bring it out with a few weed/bush plantings and maybe a very light sprinkle of some of your more course dirt (like the stuff against the fence) on the outside of the path. I realize that you have not yet made it to the bushes/weeds, etc, but thought that I'd bring up the coloring now as this is the time to adjust it a bit if you want to do so.

Again, a really great diorama going here and looking forward to seeing it with the additional scenery.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 04/12/2011 2:50:19 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe --

That's all coming together VERY nicely ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 04/12/2011 3:30:01 PM

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  4:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
really nice progress, sometimes I think this part is the hardest, we often rush to finish or never really finish. I found some bark and leftover dust and particles from a order of sweetwater sagebrush armatures to be a great scenery add, either with dirt or over some ground foam. The grayed sage brush wood is nice and natural.

Les

here is some boiler colors...

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  4:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should be really proud of your diorama so far Joe. It looks great.

Brett

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

A wonderful diorama. If mine turns out this nice I would be proud to.

Jerry

Jerry

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: You know what they say about the grass is always greener? Well, we have green on two sides of the diorama, and trees and bushes...

What do you think? Comments appreciated.

Joe CCCModOn30

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000