Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 236 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry for posting the link and kind words. I have read the post and have several ideas along with your guys comments. I'm working on the boilerhouse roof and should be able to post photos in a day or so. Off to the workbench....Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Well I got the roof done on the boilerhouse and I'm pretty happy with the results; hope you like it.

I also did some work on the engine floor using mainly chaulks. I also installed several more castings. I'm not completely happy yet but the progress is substantial (I think)? The photos don't show what the floor really looks like in person. If it ever stops raining around here I'll try to take some shots outside. Maybe that will help.

Next up is the engine house roof. Take care and feel free to comment. Joe CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  10:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from wet and muddy CA: Has been quite a week for stormy weather, but the good part is that's more time to work on trains.

This weeks effort has been to build and install the roof on the engine house. Lots of fun and it turned out pretty nice. Certainly would appreciate any comments/recommendations for improvement.

Next up is the scenery. I've been looking forward to this as its one of my favorite things to do when building my On30 modules. It really makes the whole scene come alive.

Question- are there any guidlines for installing trees? Quantity, type, placement, etc. I definately want trees but don't want to overwhelm a 12" square footprint. Thanks in advance for any inout.

Take care, Joe CCCModOn30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Nice job on the roof. Your moving right along and doing a fine job on everything.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  6:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your attention to details, Joe. While I couldn't swear your building lacks nothing, I have been unable to think of something you would have forgotten.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  6:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Joe!! As far as trees go I would concentrate more on where the foot traffic is and doing soom nice paths and some judicious use of growth/foliage to define them. It's all lookinng outstanding.
Kevin

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  8:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much to Jerry and Frederic for your kind words and comments. It keeps me very positive and striving to reach a high level of workmanship. And Kevin, a great suggestion on the foot paths-thanks.

As per Brett's instructions, I'm going to try and put ruts in the road that goes out front. I am using grout, so we'll see how that works out.

Take care, I appreciate you guys keeping an eye on the build.....Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  9:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MorganHillRR

Take care, I appreciate you guys keeping an eye on the build.....Joe CCCModOn30

Well I for one appreciate you posting the great progress that you are making, definately a build thats enjoyable to ...."keep an eye on" as you say.

As for the trees, it depends on your plans for the structure/diorama.

If its going to stay as a dio they could be used as a barrier to keep the viewers attention within the area and a view block to what may be behind.
As Kevin advises, place the trees logically after everything else, any tree that would have been 'in the way' of access would have been removed, not least for it's lumber. However for dioramic interest and viewability a well placed tree adds alot to a scene.
Brian really did an incredible job with balancing the elements and making a believable scene.
I would suggest..., decide the tree placement now, as long as its logical that it would still be there, and then work the rest of the scenery and scene(s) around it.

Karl.A

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl: Thank you for your comments and insight; it's greatly appreciated.

Eventually, this structure will be part of my sawmill complex (SierraWest components). The complex will probably reside on an On30 module six feet long and 3 feet wide. At least I hope to fit everything on it?

Until that time, which is probably a year down the road, the Mill Engine and Boiler House will remain stand alone.

Regards, Joe in Morgan HIll, CA CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Make any 'dubious' tree placements interchangeable with a stump. That way, if a good tree placement now doesnt work out when the dio is integrated into the layout you can switch it out with a stump.

I think many trees in the real world were replaced by stumps when the loggers moved in ......

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think many trees in the real world were replaced by stumps when the loggers moved in

And oddly enough, very seldom in the opposite direction...

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl and Frederic: Thanks for your comments. I can see a mini-scene now. Chopping down trees that don't integrate into the sawmill module.

I had the On30 module guys over Tuesday night for our bi-weekly train meeting. We played around with tree placement and decided on 2 to start. I love to hand make trees and have placed over 75 of them on my Big Trees module.
I'm not sure 2 is enough??

Take care....Joe CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Trees module- trees,trees,trees...Joe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  7:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Another week and some more progress photos. Really enjoying working on the scenic aspects. I have 3 sides in-process, putting down light and dark dirt (grout), and bits of ground cover. Then came the detail castings as called out in Brett's instructions and photos.

Once I'm done with all sides, I will go back and add schrubs, grasses, weeds, etc. and the all important signs and 2 trees(?).

I'm out of town starting on Thursday, so will try to get side 4 done before I go. Take care, and comments welcome.

Joe CCCModOn30

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  8:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole structure/diorama is coming along nicely. I really like the cut wood pile and would love to know how you achieved the colors.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000