Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 219 ]  [ Total: 222 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  4:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it when it starts to come together. All that work starting to pay off. Looking good!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  9:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Awbzolooteley Mahwbelus!

Persist,
mike

nss9400
Section Hand

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Send nss9400 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic coming along nicely great work!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  01:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking great Joe. It has all come together very nicely. I'm eager to see your next progress pics while I'm still enjoying the current ones.

Karl.A

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  03:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey Joe
whatcha gonna do with that boiler in your shed. ( ala Jimi Hendrix )
ok so who hasn't got that song running through their head now?.
looking pretty darn good.
Can't wait to see the rest of the construction.
cheers
Dave

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the very positive comments. You guys sure know how to make someone feel like he's heading in the right direction.

All the prior comments and photos of Karl's build have been very useful. After reading Brett's instructions, I go back and reread the posts and make copies of appropriate photos. I post them on my bench and proceed, trying to reach a higher level of modeling. Comments, hints and tips always welcome.

Regards, Joe CCCModOn30

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  3:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,
Your build's looking good. Like the stains on the concrete floor. How did you make them?
I'm looking forward to seeing the next progress shot.

It's only make-believe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob: Thanks for your comments. The black/oily stains are made using Brett's method enclosed in the construction manual. Dip the tip of a 1/4" rounded, soft tip brush into a bottle of Polly Scale oily black then immediately into plain rubbing alcohol and let a drop or two fall into place. Take a second clean brush, dip it into the alcohol and spread out the stain as desired. Go slow and easy with the black paint part; a little goes a long way.

I've used a similar technique to create white stains on steam valves and whistles using white paint and subtle rust deposits using rust paint. Give it a try. Joe CCCModOn30

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe,
That's what I did with black gouache on my build. Except I used water. I wonder if gouache can be used with Rubbing alcohol

Thanks again, for the help

It's only make-believe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: I finished the two fences and installed them (temporary) on the diorama. They look pretty good but I'm concerned about all the same looking wood everywhere. I understand there will be multiple signs, bushes,junk,and weeds in place so I guess a good portion of the fences will be covered up. Maybe a little white wash stain would help? Any comments?

The next step in the construction is working on all the castings. I'm a litle nervous about this, as I've never done this process to the high level of quality that's required. I'll follow Brett's manual/technique and hope for the best.

Take care- Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joe,
don't for one minute be hesitant about trying the castings. Just jump into them and try things out, pick some simple ones to start with. The best way to figure out what works for you and what looks good is to just get going.

If I'm not sure how to get 'a look' I want I'll go into the casting with the realisation that there's a 50% chance it will get stripped and done over. I find losing this 'inhibition' generally relieves the pressure and enables me to relax and enjoy. Sampling different colours and techniques can only be done by trying them out until you hit upon the one or few that you like best.

Varying wood colours on crates is a great way to practice and get a feel for some of the techniques, mostly any wrong turns can be corrected, but if something does go beyond return a quick dip and swill in xylol will strip it back to the resin (or metal) and you can start again with what you have learned.

Have fun, try things out, relax and enjoy. I'm sure once you do this you will be amazed at how quickly and easily you can achieve great results.

The fence looks great, if needed it's colour can be adjusted later, for now its just a place holder as you build the scene,but, I think it will work out fine. The knots look terricic.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/06/2011 11:01:25 AM

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  10:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl: Thanks for your advise and encouragement. I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this construction process.

I in fact went to my shop Sunday and started the casting weathering process. Kind of fun seeing all the different colors come together. I'll post some progress photos later this week.

Regards, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Well I have my first set of resin casting done and I am pleasantly surprised by the outcome. No negatives on Brett's instructions, they are great; my artistic abilities need work. I hope you like them, but feel free to comment on ways to improve them.

I'll move on and try some metal ones now. Regards, Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great work Joe.... I'm going back for another look...!!! Fantastic colour on the work bench and water tank.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  1:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

That's real nice work on the castings.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000