Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 175 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done, Joe, and the computer is still alive!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That looks great Joe, very nicly done indeed. Computer still working here too, which is good because I'm looking forward to your next progress pics.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  9:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Very good indeed. You might even temp me to join in.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great texture on the concrete base, as well as nice coloring.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  10:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your comments. The details on this kit goes beyond words. One thing I just noticed in the photos is a couple of blending problems with the concrete base. I didn't notice them before, the large photos brings them out....interesting. I plan on painting/texturing the boiler today. Regards, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi- A slight change in plans. Not familiar with the painting process used in Brett's instructions, I decided I better practice using different chaulks before I messed up the boiler. So I took 2 strips of styrene, painted one grimy black and the other a tan color much like the color of the resin boiler in the kit. I then went at both pieces with paint and Rembrandt chaulks on one and Bragdon chaulks on the other, pretty much following instructions as best I could. When finished and totally dry, I used a black A&I wash on a small area of each piece. The photo is hard to tell the differences, but I will be using the colors of the top piece on the left hand side. A grimey black base, followed by paint and Rembrandt chaulks, followed by a A&I wash. Onward!!!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  9:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea to test out your colours first Joe, I rarely remember to do that. Too keen.

I too prefer your choice for the finish out of the four shown. This boiler is going to look nice and well used indeed when you are finished with it.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/09/2011 9:12:28 PM

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  10:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi: Been busy this week weathering the boiler. In between waiting for paint/chaulks to dry, I decided to start construction of the building. This was my first attempt at building framing components and boy was it fun, and it turned out great. I'm now putting siding on following Brett's instructions closely.

I'd appreciate any comments on the boiler. It's almost to rusty? I'm considering hitting it with some black paint or chaulk to make it look a little newer/usable? Or maybe I should leave it alone. Joe in Morgan Hill,CA CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  10:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The framing turned out perfectly, excellent job!!!

You've certainly achieved an excellent rusty effect there Joe, and I really like the colour.

However, I dont think I'd want to stand anywhere near your boiler when it built up steam pressure.... if it stayed together long enough to do that....

If you agree, try 'dusting' it off with a soft brush to remove some of the texturing and chalks. this should reveal some more of the base coat and make it look a little less likely to explode.

It's a great rusty effect, but, as you say maybe a little too much for a boiler in service. I had to do the same thing for my vertical 'junk' boiler earlier in the thread.

Thats just my thoughts, disregard at will.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/14/2011 11:00:44 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  11:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Karl, both on the very nice rendition of a rusty boiler and on the fact it's certainly too rusty to be safe as a working one.
But for sure, you've got the right technique for these leftover metal parts spread around the boiler house.

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  2:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe
That rust effect is excellent.
I agree with Karl A about using a soft brush. But just do a little at a time and then put it aside for a while and then come back and have a good look at it. It's really easy to take too much off and with such a beautiful effect you don't want to have to start over, don't ask me how I know. :-).
cheers
Dave

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2011 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
Like the others I agree with the boiler, it really should look used but not rusted, however I really do like that boiler. I have great pics of that boiler from Montana and Oregon if you are interested in reference material.

I suspect the guy who maintained the boiler at the mill considered it his, so he kept it up pretty good, not spit and polish but painted, if its burning coal you have coal dust and cinders.

Les

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  10:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for all the positive and helpful comments. I knew I was in trouble when I asked the boiler crew to fire her up and they ran for the woods !!!! I tried to gently brush off the rust effects but they were very permanent. I ended up using a fiberglass brush and then putting on a light layer of black chaulk. I need to do a little more minor weathering work and then I'll take some photos. It is definately looking more like an operational boiler-I hope.

I finished the first wall and will take a photo or two and post along with the boiler-part 2. Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds promising Joe, I look forward to the new pics.

It's also good to read that you're not afraid to backtrack a little for a better result, sometimes thats hard to do.

Karl.A

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone else in that the boiler was a bit too weathered, esp. if you are going to place it under the roof as designed in the kit. I will however be using your technique on my boiler soon. Looking forward to seeing how you maintained the boiler in your future posting.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000