Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 263 ]  [ Total: 263 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  5:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive Karl!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll see, Karl, we'll see.

And before, we see that you've made new beauties. This interior is really nice, detailed but not overloaded.
You even tried to overcome the model broom curse. It is indeed one of the best I've seen.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  6:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything looks very good to me, Karl

Mark

W,L,&E

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole thing is looking great, but I was really impressed with the red hose lines. I'm assuming that you used solder for the hose, and if so, you really nailed the hanging and flex of a hose.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  8:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your work with colors is impressive.

George

Fly Army

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  12:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the very kind words, much appreciated by me.

Yes Kris the hose is solder.

I finally located the steamlines so now everything is painted and connected. Some more detailing will be added later but this can be done with my long tweazers and then a final touch-up on the colouring/blending.

Most importantly, now that the mainwork is done inside I can add the rafters and the drive wheel which has been a stopping block for something else, but now, onwards once more.....

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  04:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  06:54:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Been quietly watching this come to life, and you're doing a very nice job of it. I liked the rationale for raising the roof on the boiler section, subtle change that can be an improvement to one of those things that doesn't look right for some mysterious reason (and you have solved the mystery). The next thing that I'm looking at now, and thinking doesn't look right (or more so doesn't look sufficient engineering wise) is the rafters that the overhead wheel and shaft are hanging from. The rafters don't seem heavy enough to take the weight and the downward tension of the belt connecting it to the engine.

I almost reckon it would be worth while having the wheel and shaft on an independent internal support frame (which also creates more reason for heavy aging timbers, NBW's and rusting gusset plates). If doing an independent frame, I also think it might look better to have the bearing blocks on top of the frame, instead of all that weight pulling down on two bolts. Not sure if that is actually how it would have to be done on a prototype, just just visually here it might make for a better and more interesting look.

Another 2c just fell out my wallet...

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Great job. Nice coloring and the placement of the details is excellent.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  08:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW;
I agree with Dan (on all points), I was going to comment until I read his.
Heavier joists and the bearings on top.
The engine and room look amazing!
-Marty

Jan Kirkwood
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I have been wondering how to fix the green on mt donkey...you showed mr how, thank you.

Jan

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Karl! I would never have noticed the points Dan makes but now that I have taken a look it does seem like some beefing up would be in order. Probably not what you want to hear when you think a section of a model is done but I think it would give you a chance to do some neat detailing as Dan suggests. It's also the kind of change on the fly that you always seem to handle so well. The details, color and texture are all fantastic as usual.
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  5:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great comments and the valuable input regarding the joists. Although I agree to most points I am not in a position to change it for several reasons. Some of which are...

Everything is superglued together, not a major issue to dissassemble, but, a delicate and time consuming one.

If I place the bearings ontop of the joists it will raise the drive shaft by almost 3/4 inch, thus messing up the alignment to the connecting driveshaft.

If the drive shaft is raised 3/4" it will no longer exit out the wall but through the roof, subsequently a hatch/dormer will need to be added to the roof, again not a big issue but one I dont have time to resolve right now.

I had infact innitialy thought of placing the bearings ontop and adjusting the roof line, not for any engineering reason as suggested but because I needed the drive shaft to be higher, however I came to another solution which is why the drive shaft must stay at its current height.

Normally, as Kevin suggests, I wouldnt hestate to back track on a finished area of a model if I thought it wasn't right, or wasnt good enough, I've already done it three times in this thread so far. Unfortunately the implications of this change would effect more than just this one structure, quite drastically, so I will just have to press on.

Hopefully once the rafters are inplace it wont be so noticeable if at all and if it is then the roof can stay on and that way it wont be visible at all. After all the structure is open on three sides for interior viewing anyway.

Thanks again, all the comments and ideas are greatly appreciated and welcomed, please keep them coming.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/05/2010 10:06:53 PM

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  6:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl
Well that's a relief! It is a model after all and it looks beautiful and represents the real thing just fine. Unless your planning on really firing this thing up I don't think anything is going anywhere. Now, I still have this kit on order from Brett, hmmmm..
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  6:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rafters glued to the ridgebeam only not the structure, which is why several are not straight, yet.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/05/2010 6:38:10 PM

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000