Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  08:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on thast boiler Karl.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  08:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the kind words and comments very appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by onl26

The effects you achieved with the drybrushed steel looked really cool but as you decided it's just not what you would see in 1:1. ...........
Kevin

Kevin, the steel drybrushing was never intended to be a finish, it was merely a starting point on which to build the colour and weathering and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for reading and the continued interest.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/13/2010 08:50:37 AM

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came out really nice Karl! Maybe a light dufting of brown/tan pigment powders on the top surfaces since it would collect dust/dirt under the roof.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  2:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Chuck, a good sugestion also, I'll add that in when I have the boiler and engine glued in place and connected together, along with some oil runs, puddles and the other final detailing.

Finished with the engine, now I need to do the mill engine floor and start pulling it all together..,

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  8:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dosnt look like much but those steamlines were a little tricky to thread in there and cut accurately, especially as everything is now superglued in place.

The steamlines are glued together but not to the engine or boiler, now to carefully remove the assemblies for painting and weathering.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  8:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a neat installation, Karl. I am very impressed.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you my friend, thats very appreciated.

Karl.A

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  8:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I think you were a pipe fitter in a previous life.
Well done everything looks fantastic together!

Greg Shinnie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  9:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive modeling, Karl. Gee, looking at the completed steam line, it doesnít look that difficult.

George

Fly Army

gregnarrowgauge
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  10:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl; have you given any thought to the pipe work's supporting metalwork?
In a pressure system we don't rely on the supply pipework to self support.
Its especially important to support radii, elbows and tees to prevent metal fatigue
cracking the joints. FWIW,..... Greg

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  10:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl
I'm so impressed with your work on this kit. I didn't realize how detailed this engine and boiler were. When looking at Bretts site I guess I never focused in on the steam lines as they don't show that well in the pics. I've already ordered this kit from Brett and can't wait to try my hand at one of these great looking machines. Keep it going Karl, it's a real treat to watch your builds.
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  11:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliment Greg.S I can throw some PVC piping together under a kitchen sink but this was a first for miniature brass work, I'm very pleased.

The installation wasn't too difficult George as you suspect, the tricky part was doing it while not knocking off all the tiny valves, knobs and other details from the engine and boiler, getting a sharpie in there to mark the brass piping to length without geting it everywhere else was 'fun'.... especially to get the joints so 'snug'.

I did give the piping supports some thought Greg, I fashioned and discarded one hanging bracket for where the steam pipe exits through the doorway, I'll make a better one tomorrow, I also have plans for two small floor supports to hold up the exhaust pipe which runs close to the floor from the engine to the boiler.

Many thanks Kevin glad you are enjoying it. Without a step-by-step build there is really no way to show the incredible amount of detail on these models, which is why I imagine its so hard for Brett to show everything on completed models on his site. Trust me when I say with your exceptional detail skills you are going to love it and I cant wait to see what you do with it, just please wait until my thread is dead and forgotten before you start it and outshine me....... just kidding, jump in as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the comments, on with some of the details tomorrow, although as I have drastically changed the layout I'm not sure where they will be placed, however if they are painted it will be easier for me to work out how I want the scenes to come together, and less work when I start finalising everything.

Thanks for reading/looking/posting, as always any input is appreciated, good, bad, or advisory.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/13/2010 11:49:24 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  07:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl
Excellent job with the pipe fitting.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  09:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool

Elliott

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  10:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Jerry, that's a lot of fiddly work tweezering those in and out many times i'm sure.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000