Railroad Line Forums - Crispy's Depot.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Gary Hannibal ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Crispy's Depot.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: YA3DP Topic Next Topic: A new FSM build...
Page: of 8

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  2:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The small town of 'Crispy' was named after one of the town founders. Crispy nestles into the rural areas on the journey between the coast and the mountains. A convenient stopping point for those travellers heading in either direction.

The town sprang up during the logging 'boom time' as a supply point to the prosperous logging operations in the mountains above. And as a place for many of the loggers to spend their hard earned wages.

The town recieved most all incoming goods from the port down below and the local industries that grew around the town, supplying both the towns folk and the loggers alike.

Not much documentation regarding the early times of Crispy remains, a few drawings and plans of several structures and the odd photo from days long gone by.

The extremely detailed and hi-res plans of the original depot survive to this day, and here they are.... I will be re-scaling this plan using windows and doors for size comparisons and hopefully end up with a fairly accurate representation of what the plan depicts, although I may take some small modelling license from this original plan.

Karl.A

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  4:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
= boys reaction!

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  5:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a pretty big station, Karl! BTW, your first photo reminds me of this kit from Main Street Heritage. I still have to build mine....but it is bubbling to the surface.
http://www.mainstreet-heritage.com/mshm-html/kit-109-details.html

Chuck

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  7:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the station is bigger than the town!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  7:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, lucky for us that the plans survived and you found them in the archives!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  7:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another interesting project to follow, Karl, rather different from what you've been doing recently, I'd say.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  7:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news Simon.

You were right Chuck, I just worked out some of the main dimensions 86' long, 20' wide and 27' high.... that will be 21.5" x 5" x 6.75"..... hmmmm

When the railroad was building the depot Mike they were expecting the town to grow somewhat.... Who knows where it will lead, maybe a sprawling metropolis....

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  7:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It sure was lucky indeed Bruce.

Got to keep it fresh and interesting Frederic, mix it up a little...

Thanks for the replies.
Karl.A

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  9:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the roof lines, especially the right hand end. The small little valley helps to break up the lean to portion of the roof.

It might really add to the roof characther if you added a valley overbuild over the loading platform.
Just a thought!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  11:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are doors and windows and small details that I havent drawn on.... basically because I dont know where I want them or what styles they will be yet.... flying by the seat of my pants as usual its nice to watch it evolve as I build it though for me.

At this point I'm just working out the main structural elements before I start cutting up materials.

So... Tim, and others.... better, worse, indifferent??

This is more of an adaptation of my interpretation of what you had in mind Tim, or maybe it's nowhere even close?.

Karl.A

RDG-LNE
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RDG-LNE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It reminds me of a small station Frank Ellison drew plans for and wrote up in a 1940's era Model Railroader. Jake Evaul has a model of Ellison's design at Woodbury Heights on his Camden & South Jersey.

Drew

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  2:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I like the new drawing better, however I was thinking one larger one. let me try to explain.

Start the gable approx the same distance up the roof as the end gable located on the end. The width would be approx the outside dimensions of the doors below or the 2 smaller dormers. Then make sure you extend the overhang and use the same little truss hang down you drew in on the right hand end gable. That is what I was thinking.

I do like the the roof broken up, no matter which way you decide to go.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I like the second (your) drawing more. The freight storage area roof is broken up more in your drawing, adding additional detail for viewing. I feel this helps balance the opposide side (passenger loading area) of the depot a bit more. That said, I **think** the chimmeny may need to go on the passenger loading side... but like you say, need to play with it a bit more.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  3:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, and the input Tim and Kris, much appreciated.

Karl.A

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  4:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

I like the look of the station, maybe its a little big for the town of Chrispy, but them again you did say the town had vision of grandeur, maybe the railroad thought so too.

The only thing I would add to the design of the station is I would remove the “half gable” at the end and replace it with a window as well as a window in the other gables.

Looking forward to seeing this one built.

By the way is this the home of Chrispy Creme donuts?

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  4:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Karl,

That could be corrct however I thought the peak would of been higher than the pak of the main roof. The question would be if it is higher then what is the best way to frame it.
2 options come to mind. First would be a little gable at the peak facing the front. @nd would be it hip down to the front roof creating a small diamond look on the front roof. The 2nd option would be my pick in my mind, butuntil one sees it drawn it is hard to tell.

If the span of the add on roof is no wider than the end gable then it would not be higher than the mainroof peak. (Given the roofs have the same pitch. It just appeared to me that the add-on gable would of been wider, but that could be the perspective that I see. Good luck either way and maybe you can get others to chime in with their thoughts.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: YA3DP Topic Next Topic: A new FSM build...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000