Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are some resources on the web regarding express and LCL moves, which might explain the significance of these moves. I wonder if the W-B cars were ultimately headed for New England, or maybe one of the transfer facilities in the Albany, NY area.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  11:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom!

James, the move to Wilkes-Barre actually delivered cars to a large REA building in Wilkes-Barre. A few years ago, I met someone at an NMRA Convention who grew up in Wilkes-Barre and explained this operation to me. I thought it was pretty cool so figured I would incorporate it into my layout.

Mark

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  2:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark', Beautiful job on your back drops'..Tedious work for sure.
But as you say well worth it indeed'..and it definitely adds a quality
look to the layout'..

Ted

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark.....I especially like the perspective for Sunbury.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  10:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Mark! Not sure I would be able to tackle such a large layout but you make it look easy.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  11:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Grubes

Great work Mark! Not sure I would be able to tackle such a large layout but you make it look easy.

Dave

I do? Well don't be fooled. If you saw me working at it in person, you may have a different opinion!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/25/2017 11:39:22 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  1:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks great, Mark. Are you printing them? If so, what kind of printer and paper?

Chuck

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  2:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the backdrops! They sure add depth to the scene.
Dave

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Mark. Looking forward to see the dispatcher put those REA trains in the hole. LOL

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  5:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

That looks great, Mark. Are you printing them? If so, what kind of printer and paper?

Chuck

Chuck, one of our south Jersey guys is in the printing business and he is doing the printing for me. I stitched the individual pics that come on the disc together in Paint, then sent him the resulting jpeg file. He is turn has a large laser printer that can print out in a long length. Some of these backdrops are 8' long! It is a heavier paper, but I don't know what weight it is off hand. I'll try to remember to find out for you.

For what it is worth, some of the original backdrops I did, I printed out on my own at work using the color laser printer we have there. I wouldn't recommend an ink jet printer as you run the risk of getting them wet and the colors would run. The biggest issue with using a standard laser color printer is splicing the sheets together, which really wasn't that difficult. These latest backdrops are in one sheet, thus eliminating the seams between sheets.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Looking great Mark. Looking forward to see the dispatcher put those REA trains in the hole. LOL

No, we don't hold up Class 1 trains! The dispatcher needs to clear the main before they make their 'on time appearance'! Its that little snafu I'm building into the schedule for 'operational interest'!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/26/2017 5:15:24 PM

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  10:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Operational interest! Oh boy!

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  10:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must be nice to have to build in a SNAFU to add "Operational Interest." I must hang with the wrong people-- we seem to add "Operational Interest" all the time without effort....

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Must be nice to have to build in a SNAFU to add "Operational Interest." I must hang with the wrong people-- we seem to add "Operational Interest" all the time without effort....

Pete
in Michigan

Trust me Pete, there are a few members of the south Jersey who add 'operational interest' on their own! There are no boring op nights here!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  06:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are going to have to give me a tutorial on the backdrops after tax season. They look good.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000