Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 51 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recognize a few of those faces...

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, congratulations on getting your diode matrices working. Perseverance does pay off. Your control panels with the rotary switch and led's sure makes it look user friendly.

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you should James!

Thanks George. I have tried, and sometimes succeeded, in trying to make the railroad as intuitive as possible. When operators aren't stressed out worrying about how to do something, it makes the whole operating experience that much more enjoyable.

Mark

HobbyDr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit HobbyDr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it just a trick of the lights, or is that brass rail in the staging yard? Congratulations on troubleshooting the whole wiring dilemma. (That's the sort of thing that drives me crazy, and why I just push my unpowered locos with my finger, saying, "Choo choo choo.")

Don

Visit HobbyDr's Workbench http://hobbydr.blogspot.com/

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  4:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Don, you won't find any brass track on my layout! I had to go back and look and see that you are probably referring to the picture of the turnouts. Those are Peco turnouts and yes, they are nickel-silver but I must confess they do look like brass in the picture.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  9:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Congratulations on the progress and the ops session. Was it an optical illusion or was SteamNut actually pulling a diesel out of the roundhouse onto the turntable??????????

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  11:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it was, I need to find out how I can photo shop that diesel into a real locomotive! LOL!!!!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  11:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, but please don't get him started! I've let him run his steam on the layout and, dare I say, he is always welcome to host a 'steam excursion' from now and then.

There's hope for him yet as little do many know, but he owns more diesels than he does steam!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 12/02/2015 11:55:17 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  01:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like another fun time Mark.

As for the turntable. I have the same issue. My thought is the shorting and slight power interruptions/fluctuation play havoc with the TT control box. There are several possible solutions I came up with. One is to put the controller on its own circuit breaker or a limiter to smooth out the power spikes on the power bus. Since it runs off the power bus it may also be an idea to take it off the power bus completely and put it on its own wall wart power. I will try the circuit breaker first since I have a spare and see what happens. Ultimately I think it may have to be put on its own power supply. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  11:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ahead of you there Bill. I used to have it tied into the yard circuit breaker but that didn't work as it kept tripping the breaker. Then I even had it on it's own breaker, but it still kept tripping that breaker! I finally have the turntable power running directly from the booster and so far, that is working. But I still have the problem mentioned above. It just goes 'stupid' randomly. It doesn't lose its programming, but rather seems to forget where it is. Once I recalibrate it, its fine... for a while.

I did some research and someone suggested that I clean the contacts on the turntable post. I did do that, and treated them with CRC for better conductivity as that seems to make sense. If the table were to lose power momentarily due to dirty contacts, it would cause what is happening. So far, I've been testing it and it appears to be running fine but the real test will be during the next op session.

Mark

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  11:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, You may find this interesting. I was in Target a few days before Thanksgiving and met a very nice elderly gentlemen and his wife visiting relatives here in CT. He was the 'Yardmaster for the PRR at the Buffalo Hump Yard'. He told me, upper mgt. was always on his case as they wanted 1000 cars processed in every 8 hour shift. He said it was a very tough job with lots pressure and hard work and long hours.

He went all through transitions/mergers. Penn Central, Conrail and finally Amtrak. He retired shortly after Amtrak took over. He further stated Only the PRR was first class they way they operated. And it was never the same after the first merger...We talked for over an hour. He was surprised that he met someone that knew what a hump yard was...We had a fascinating talk to say the least'..

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  01:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting story Ted! I would have enjoyed talking with him as I'm sure he has some fascinating stories such as the one he shared with you. 1000 cars a shift? Wow, that breaks down to just over 2 cars per minute! That also means they had around 3000 cars flowing through that yard in a day. Good grief!

It doesn't surprise me with what he told you about the mergers. Both the PRR and NYC were having financial challenges, but the PC took it to a whole new level.

Thanks for sharing that Ted!

Mark

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  8:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew would like it'. I'm looking for details on that yard in Buffalo..If I find exceptional interesting facts/info, I'll post it for you to see'..

Ted

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  12:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would enjoy and details you come across.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  9:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís that time of year again where the holidays are over and I can resume focus on the railroad. Iíve made some progress over the past few months, but nothing really noteworthy until recently. I have tried to devote more time with scenery, but itís proven difficult as after each op session as there always seems to be some maintenance items and/or other projects which surface that need to be addressed to improve operations. I suppose, at least for my own sanity, the secret now is to strike a balance between the Ďfuní scenic projects that I want to do and the necessary Ďmechanicalí improvements that need to be done on the layout to improve operations. That is one reason I have decided to limit my op sessions for the time being to once every other month.

I have two scenery projects now underway. The area around Selinsgrove Junction, which I wrote about a little while ago. I havenít made much progress in that area but hope to resume work in that area soon. Of course, it wouldnít be fun if we didnít have multiple projects going at the same time, right? So I also began work in the Wilkes-Barre area as well. I chose these area as I am happy with the layout of area and the buildings selected for this area, but also because there will be some interesting scenic elements in this area as well.

This is what the area looked like before any scenery was begun. This first picture is taken from Buttonwood Yard looking down the track towards Wilkes-Barre on the right. The track in the center that curves to the right and goes behind the building is the Wilkes-Barre industrial track. The track that curves sharply to the right is the Wilkes-Barre Connecting RR track that heads into staging. The buildings in this view will become the Vulcon Iron Works complex.

Another view of the same area taken from the aisle.

This view of the area is looking down the Wilkes-Barre Connecting RR track which heads slightly down grade, passing under the industrial track, a road bridge in the far backround, and then finally through the wall and into staging. A large stone retaining wall will line this track as it descends downgrade. I think this feature, along with the bridge abutments and typical vegetation overgrowth found in industrial areas should make for a fun project.

First comes the hard shell. I use foam core as a scenery sub-base and profile boards, then masking tapes and bunched up newspaper to form the terrain. On top of that I laid out plaster embedded gauze.

In this view looking down the track towards the Wilkes-Barre industrial track, I have installed all of the hardshell in the area. I have also installed a small area against the wall that will serve as the foundation of a background building.

You may notice in the one building in the picture that there is a section cut out of the wall of the building. As a space saver, the industrial track actually runs through this building, which is almost again the wall, but buildings in front of this structure will disguise this opening. The illusion will be that the track runs behind the building, not through it.

This view from the aisle shows the two flat areas that will support structures in the area. The industrial track, out of view, is in the valley between these two flat areas.

Mark

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000