Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: le belge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteamNut
Who Me! It will be only a small delay. And then I hope you can keep up.

Any delay is a big delay! And who said I was talking about you?

quote:
Originally posted by Rick

You using the type of suspended ceiling that has a plastic finish to minimize dust?

Yes Rick, the fiberglass panels. That is the plan, sort of. I am planning on a black ceiling and am not sure how well those panels take paint. I figure if I used the pressed cardboard panels and paint them, it would seal them and thus, eliminate the dust issue. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what their results were with either approach.

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  7:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, if I had to do my train room over again, I'd bite the bullet and do wallboard. The suspended ceiling tiles I use generate dust and also are too easily dinged.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

RSCo
Section Hand

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  10:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSCo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can screw sheetrock to a suspended ceiling grid- this is pretty common in commercial construction, and in a basement with all the piping and duct work, makes quick work for a nice flat ceiling. Borrow or invest in a rotary laser if you are doing the ceiling yourself.

Jim Musser
Hainesport, NJ
blog - http://mussersteelmill.blogspot.com

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  11:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

For what it's worth, if I had to do my train room over again, I'd bite the bullet and do wallboard. The suspended ceiling tiles I use generate dust and also are too easily dinged.

dave

Dave I used to agree with that, but a water leak on a previous house where a sheetrock ceiling was installed (by the previous owner) happened over the train layout change that idea. I presently have commercial grade ceiling tiles that are painted over in the layout room presently, and dust seems to be kept to a minimum.

Mark, I definitely see benchwork construction happening soon. Room is looking great.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  11:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
The basement is coming along very nicely. I also like the color that you picked. When it come to the ceiling tiles, make sure that you get the ones that don't shed dust particles. I bought the pressed paper tiles and had to take them all down and seal them including the edges. I've since bought the plastic faced fiberglass tiles. Don't make the mistake I did!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I'm doing is buying 4'X8' 1/4-inch plywood and cutting them into 2'X4' panels, painting them white and installing them as a ceiling. They don't generate dust, and it would take quite a bit of water to disintegrate them!

In my case I'm simply drywall-screwing the panels to the ceiling joists (can't afford to lose ANY headroom), but the panels could be cut to suspended ceiling grid size and installed just like the suspended ceiling tiles...

Edited by - Brunton on 01/21/2010 06:22:31 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  08:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow guys, lot's of interesting input. I never thought a ceiling could generate so much conversation! Well I do have plenty of time to make this decision as the ceiling itself probably won't go in for several months. It will be a 'drop ceiling', that much I know, so I will start the grid for it now, before I start benchwork. But since I have the 'temporary' room lights mounted to the ceiling joists, I won't install the tiles until the layout lighting is in place and I don't need the 'temporary' room lights any more.

It sounds like the plastic/fiberglass panels might be the way to go, but as I mentioned before, I want these panels to be black. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to paint these tiles and if so, how and how did they turn out?

Today's project is to continue painting the floor and hopefully start setting up the shelving so I can start unpacking the boxes and organizing the basement. It will be like Christmas morning, rediscovering all the goodies I packed over 2 years ago!

Mark

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  10:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I like Brunton's idea of cutting plywood into tile size and using them in the grid. With a table saw the cutting should go pretty quickly. They can easily be painted black.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  11:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

dave

Dave I used to agree with that, but a water leak on a previous house where a sheetrock ceiling was installed (by the previous owner) happened over the train layout change that idea. I presently have commercial grade ceiling tiles that are painted over in the layout room presently, and dust seems to be kept to a minimum.

Well, I had a deluge (washer hose broke) over my train room, and the ceiling tiles disintegrated all over the (fortunately very unfinished layout.) It was a mess! But it was easier to go back and redo the tiles than it would have been to redo wallboard. I wish I had painted the tiles, though, that would probably make a huge difference.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  11:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark I also like the idea posed by Mark. Using the plywood (easily painted black)seems like a good alternative. I am not fond of the fiber tiles,, too messy.

Cheers!, Joe

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the fiberglass tiles with a plastic or vinyl coating....very flexible and easy to install. Although mine happen to be white, I would think you could paint them flat black using a roller or maybe the special spray paint that's formulated for plastic. Once installed in the grid, I haven't noticed any dust or grit being generated UNLESS you happen to remove the panel, then there's usually a little fiberglass debris raining down. Like Mark, I'm favoring someday removing my tiles and painting them, but that's not exactly something I'm eager to get moving on.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wounder if they still make the all foam ones. They were drop in size and white and about 3/4 thick???? Time do do a little recon!

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice layout space, Mark!

On the ceiling material, have you thought about 1" or 1/2" thick insulating styrofoam for your drop ceiling panels? I've seen it used in a couple of basement layout rooms, and it seems to be dust-free. You could roll on any color of latex paint you wanted, and the weight would be negligible. Not sure if it would cost less than purpose-made panels, but just a thought ...

Have fun unpacking!

Vagel

RSCo
Section Hand

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  5:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSCo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steam Nut - they do still make the foam 3/4" panels - go to a commercial ceiling tile supplier. They are made for installations where the sprinkler heads are above the ceiling grid - they blow out when the system is activated. The only problem with them is they are so light that when you close the basement door, half the tiles will probably lift up from the change in air pressure - not so good for dust probably.

Jim Musser
Hainesport, NJ
blog - http://mussersteelmill.blogspot.com

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, aren't you glad I mentioned the ceiling?

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000