Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  4:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  9:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind comments guys!

quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Very nice use of the styrene Mark. Did you have to add any additional support, like 16 or 24 inches apart?

Tom, in this case, no. The only support I added is visible in the last photo, at the front of the layout. The rest of the backdrops I mounted are supported by the surrounding walls.

The styrene itself is fairly ridged, however if you wanted to mount it 'freestanding', say down the center of the layout, it would require some sort of support system. Rick (Harsco) is doing the same thing on his layout now on his addition and is mounting the styrene to the shelf bracket supports, which are approximately 16" apart.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  7:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mark. I hope you never have to get access to the clean out plug behind there. That is a nice way to separate 100 miles in a small space. I need to find a plastics supplier around here. I was toying with the idea of using polystyrene on my lower level backdrops. I need to kind of do the same thing in one area of my layout that is really separated by 44 miles without being too intrusive of both scenic areas. Seeing yours in place makes me think I can accomplish the same distance question with mine with a couple sheets of backdrop in a weird shape. Polystyrene might just the ticket. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 10/16/2015 7:14:59 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  10:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill! Actually, its deceiving in the picture, but that short stretch of track is easily accessible from inside the helix, which is why that one opening is so much bigger.

The picture really doesn't do it justice, but once I placed those two pieces in to finally divide those two scenes, I was amazed at the resulting effect. Some had suggested using scenic effects to create a scene block, but I don't think in this case it would have been as effective. I wanted to create a 'hard break' between the two scenes.

Finally, after using the styrene for these backdrops, I can't recommend it enough! Very easy to work with!

Mark

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  11:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work , very tidy looking. I really like the idea of the styrene backdrop and will be following to see what you do with it, well that and the rest of course. Do you know the styrene is going to take paint well to paint a backdrop or how would you go about this? I know Krylon paint works on styrene for bridges.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lynn, I had wondered the same thing, but Harsco used styrene for backdrops on his layout (which is where I got the idea from) and he said it takes paint fine. That's on my agenda tomorrow so I will post the results then. I suspect it will need at least two coats.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  01:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve had a pretty productive past few days. I am on vacation this week and devoting time to finishing up some projects in time for the upcoming convention. Nothing like having an open house to get you motivated!

The backdrops are finally done! After mounting the styrene, I spackled the joints were the styrene joined up with the existing walls. After some sanding, I applied a coat of the sky blue paint. I also mounted a piece of Masonite between the valance and fascia to enhance the scene separation between Glen Burn and South Danville. The end result came out better than I expected!

So here is a view of Glen Burn. That big open blue space will eventually be filled up when I model the culm hill that was located at Glen Burn. The hole in the backdrop will eventually be disguised with trees and vegetation.

This is the view from South Danville. I plan to model some sort of hillside with a lot of trees. That will hide the opening in the backdrop and create the illusion of the trains coming out of the woods.

And finally, stepping back, here is an overview of both scenes. Now there is a hard separation between these two areas.

With the backdrops done, and between other projects I am working on, progress continues on the staging yard panels. The control panels are built and being installed, as are the switch machines. Iíve run all the wiring and already wired up the first of the four matrix boards. Slowly but surely, this project is coming together.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 10/19/2015 01:39:44 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  08:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks good, Mark.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce! Yeah, after working with styrene for a backdrop material, I'd strongly recommend it to anyone! It worked out really well.

Mark

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  10:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, lot's of wires'..the drops look good'..You sure have put in much time and work'..
Good for you'..

Ted

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  10:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, the backdrops and skirting made a big difference and look great. I just found this thread and I will go thru the rest of it as soon as I can. Can't wait to see what other ideas are to be found. Take care, Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  11:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mark, I'm getting caught up after being out of town for a month. Your styrene backdrop and the skirting look great. I'm looking forward to seeing your layout in person this weekend.

George

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  11:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-it looks great and as usual your layout inspires to get more done on mine. I have an 8' wall left that I decided and now regret not dry walling. I will try the stryene if I ever get home from Austin. Either that or start a layout here.

Tomo

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  1:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark! Lots of good progress for sure. That scene separation really does the job.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  6:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Yes Ted, there's nothing like an open house to really motivate you! I've gotten more done in the past week than I have in the past couple of months! More importantly, it makes you focus on those projects you started and never finished, or the projects you've been meaning to get to 'someday'.

Thanks Rob! Just remember, any good ideas you find in this thread are those I probably stole from someone else!

George, I look forward to seeing you this weekend.

Tom, under normal circumstances, I would prefer drywall, depending on the situation, but in this case, I had curves to install, and the styrene worked out perfectly!

Bill, I'm trying to get to the scenery stage. Your work has been motivating me!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000