Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 95

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  12:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the pics ... but (and pardon me if my OCD slip is showing) where is the Trainphone antennae on that FRS24 (aka Trainmaster)?

Speaking of which, are you going to be at the PRRT&HS annual meeting this year?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  09:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your slip is not showing Vagel so you can stop blushing.

Since I model late 66/early 67, trainphone antennae were pretty much gone at that point in time, hence, you don't see them! Although I do have an old GP-30 that I detailed way back when from a Lionel HO shell that has the train phone antennae on it. Maybe one of these days I may go back and add it to a couple of units, and this would be a prime candidate!

I let my PRRTH&S membership slip several years ago and need to renew it, but no, I won't be making it there this year. It's been a few years since I've been to one but remember they were full of information!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 03/26/2015 09:16:03 AM

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good! That backdrop is very effective in this location and scales well to the foreground tracks.

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike! Funny thing is that was the first set of backdrops I printed out and just set them there to see what they would look like. While I liked it, I figured I would leave them taped up there for a while to make sure I wanted them there. Everyone seems to think they look perfect, so I think they will get permanently attached!

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a difference those backdrops make... makes everything look like the real thing... Mark, will you be on tour for the MER in October?

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks Mike! Funny thing is that was the first set of backdrops I printed out and just set them there to see what they would look like. While I liked it, I figured I would leave them taped up there for a while to make sure I wanted them there. Everyone seems to think they look perfect, so I think they will get permanently attached!

I agree. Keep 'em! They look good.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  12:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim and Bill. Yup, they are keepers! In fact, that's going to be my next project; printing out, cutting and mounting the backdrops for the various areas. It's time to start making things look pretty! I never thought I'd get to this point. Not to mention Bill is motivating me!

Jim, in fact yes I am. As it stands now, I will be open Thursday evening and also Sunday afternoon. I will also be at many of the other local layouts over the course of the convention helping every else out, including Harsco, so hopefully I will get to see a lot of the forum members over that weekend.

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  3:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks Mark... I'm scheduled to do a B&O presentation Thursday night... didn't realize layouts and clinics conflicted... we'll see what that Sunday brings for me... guess you'll have the layout finished by then!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  11:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BandO Boy

OK, thanks Mark... I'm scheduled to do a B&O presentation Thursday night... didn't realize layouts and clinics conflicted... we'll see what that Sunday brings for me... guess you'll have the layout finished by then!

Geez, now your sounding like SteamNut!

Finsihed? I don't think so, but hopefully I'll have some scenery in by then.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  12:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark those pictures of Wilkes Barre really look good with the backdrop. I was watching an old DIW video today on operations that was shot back in 1997. It featured Jim Hertzog's L&NE , Bill Gruber's RDG and my PRR. Amazing what differences exist between now and then for those 3 model railroads. Good to see a part of Bill's still being used. With no session tonight I have been busy with some scenery projects in Lock Haven finally putting in the grade crossing after 20 years !! Also making scrap loads for some new gons for in plant scrap traffic for the electric furnace.
Watch out for that scenery bug as a few hours doing that makes a big visual difference .
-------------- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/05/2015 02:22:18 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I seem to remember that video! Those were the good old days. While I visited Bill's layout many times, and was invited several times to operate, it seemed my fatherly duties always conflicted with his op sessions so I never made it to one. But Bill and I enjoyed several mutual interests so I am thrilled to have a part of his layout still in operation here.

With regard to scenery, while you have accomplished a lot over the last 20 years, I think it's safe to say your layout could keep you busy for another 20 years easily!

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  10:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute here, How did I get sucked into this one! So Mark remember that Det. cord I said was to hold up your helix!!!!!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  12:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been nearly a month since the second trial operating session I held and I’ve fixed all of the trouble spots that surfaced that night and accomplished a few other things along the way as well. I am now getting ready for another session this weekend, adding a few more crew members this time around. If all goes well, then I’ll get into regular sessions with a full crew!

In the meantime, I’ve been also been working on getting the last area on the railroad installed and operating. Wilkes-Barre is a fair sized industrial area fed directly out of Buttonwood Yard on the upper level. My first obstacle here is that Wilkes-Barre is in two separate areas, separated by a bridge that crosses the Wilkes-Barre Connecting RR (the connection into staging). Here is a pic of the area.

I had a double track plate girder bridge made by Central Valley that I decided to use for this area. I then had to make two custom abutments to support the bridge. I decided to scratch build the abutments and used 1”x4” scraps that I had left over from layout construction. After figuring out the height of the ‘shelf’ on the abutment, I carefully ran the pieces through my table saw. Then using card stock, I laminated pieces on to create a ‘poured concrete’ look. Here is a ‘before and after shot’.

Using Polly-S aged concrete color, I applied 3 coats to get a nice even coat.

I installed the abutments gluing and screwing them to the roadbed, explaining why they appear to be hanging in mid-air.

The next step will be to weather the bridge and abutments, after which I will most likely apply some hard shell and scenery to this area to get rid of the ‘hanging abutment’ look!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  12:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another front, I am finally able to begin to give some thought to scenery now. To get me going, Rick (Mr. Harsco) stopped by the other night armed with a supply of artists acrylics. I had asked him to give me a personal clinic of his track weathering techniques and he was more than happy to share his techniques with me. Frankly, it is easier than I had thought, and the results are great! Here is a picture of the man himself applying some test weathering to some of the yard tracks.

We experimented with several colors to see what they looked like under my layout lighting. Here you can see three basic colors we experimented with; brown iron oxide, burnt umber and raw umber. We also used some of the Floquil paint markers to weather individual ties and the rail itself. So now I’m off and running with track weathering!

As usually happens when Rick is on the property, we wandered around the railroad discussing some of the possibilities of the various areas. We ended up at the site of Glen Burn colliery to discuss the layout of that complex. I already had a good idea of what I wanted to do, but Rick has a knack of moving things around, throwing ideas out and coming up with some pretty darn good suggestions.

I had a couple of Walther’s New River Mining company buildings laying around, so we began moving them around while studying pictures of the actual complex. Here is a shot of the end result for the night, which I think is a pretty good representation of what was really there. With a little bit of kitbashing, I think we can do this complex justice!

And here he is, the man, the myth, the legend, looking the area over. You can see the wheels turning (pardon the pun) and smell the smoke!

All kidding aside, its great to get ideas from other people when it comes to laying areas out and getting scenic ideas, and Rick has proven that he definitely has a knack for that!

Mark

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  12:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
Just a quick question. What is the height between the two track levels in the last photo and also the thickness of the fascia.
Looks to be an effective height to me.

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000