Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  12:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Mark, do you have a breakdown of the different types of cars (hoppers, flat cars, box cars, etc.) that you need in that total of 430 cars that you need to operate the layout?

I sure do Bruce! I have a spreadsheet file that I created years ago and used for my previous layout, as well as a few others such as Harsco's for whom I've helped set up a car forwarding system.

Basically, I enter all of the industries, car types and capacity the industry takes, yards, staging tracks, etc. In addition to generating waybills for me, one of the reports the file generates for me is called a 'Capacity Report', which tells me the total capacity of the layout, the recommended capacity (80%), and breaks it down to exactly what types of cars I need based on the information I entered.

This file is linked to my inventory file so it also shows me what I have already, what I need, and in some cases, what types I may have too many of.

Here is a snapshot of what this report looks like;

As you can see from this report, I need a total of 408 cars for the layout and I currently have 379, however I need more of some types, and fewer of other types.

I describe how I set up my car card and waybill system in great deal on my web site. This report is a by product of the spreadsheets I set up for generating the car cards and waybills.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 11/26/2014 12:13:27 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  8:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have known that you would have a logical approach to analyze your car needs.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  12:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

I should have known that you would have a logical approach to analyze your car needs.

I'll take that as a complement Bruce. Yes, I'm known as the 'paperwork guy' in our circle.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  08:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, a compliment indeed.

I remember reading an article that suggested a car fleet that reflected the roster of the prototype railroad that you model as found in the annual report of your year (era). That sounds fine, but your method is much more layout-specific.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  10:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Bruce, I remember that article. The inventory file I use tells me what percentage of my cars are PRR, which is 29%. I don't remember what percentage they recommended.

Mark

PJ
New Hire

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  2:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit PJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see things up and running - PJ

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  5:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The various write-ups on the freight car fleet are good starting points, but what you actually need on your layout varies with location, time of year and the specific industries you've modeled. I had been thinking for years "find more 'Green Dot' hopper cars". When it came time to type out the car cards for August 1953, I found my layout soaking up most of the boxcars in my train show case and replacing them with surplus hoppers...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  6:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks PJ! I need to get you up here to see it in person soon.

Very true James. Seasons can play a big part on the changing of car types for many industries. Needless to say, I'm 'frozen in time' to summer, 1967 at the moment, but many of the business would receive or ship different loads depending on the time of year. As an example, not much grain would flow in the winter, but there would be more coal moving to distribution points.

With regard to the various industries, the car types that are determined to be needed come from another sheet in the file where I have each industry listed, the track/car capacity, car type(s), load in/out, etc. It is from this information that the Capacity Report draws it's information.

But there is one local modeler that takes it to the extreme. He changes eras! Every year, he used to add a decade to his layout, which meant changing locos, cars, and even some of the industries. His passenger fleet took major changes as well. He went from 1950's to present day, then back again.

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  11:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That guy sounds like me. Well no bench work yet but I have a solid fleet for conrail from 76 all the way up to 99, that turned into enough to run light with PC and now yes about a dozen PRR units and enough rolling stock to run PRR....

This all adds to the frustration..... OK sorry starting to get the thread off course.

All this rolling stock talk is calling for a few pictures!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Edited by - BessemerBob on 12/03/2014 12:18:30 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  11:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I've learned Bob is the collecting rolling stock is great, but if you plan to have an operational layout at some point down the road, the point is that you will need to make sure you are collecting the right amount of each type of car. Until you plan your layout with industries and car capacities, you really don't know what you will be needing. I have many cars that I don't really need, but I've been trading them off for cars that I do need.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

What I've learned Bob is the collecting rolling stock is great, but if you plan to have an operational layout at some point down the road, the point is that you will need to make sure you are collecting the right amount of each type of car. Until you plan your layout with industries and car capacities, you really don't know what you will be needing. I have many cars that I don't really need, but I've been trading them off for cars that I do need.

One thing about operations is you will find out quickly if you have the right amount of cars of one type but lack car types for other purposes. You will also find out if you have too many cars on the layout. I have found both to be true. I now have more cars than I need. Most are unbuilt kits. So I may at some point start selling off those cars I don't need anymore. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2014 :  4:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, as you can see, I need some cars, so when you put your clearance pricing into effect, let me know!

Seriously though, I've used this file on other layouts and it's surprising how accurate it is simply because if you enter the information correctly, it takes everything into account and tells you what you need and how many of what you need, or don't need. Needless to say, to your point, there's always going to be some tweaking going on once the railroad gets operating.

Mark

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  12:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few good tips on rolling stock inventory, thanks

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2014 :  10:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Lynn!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  7:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Well Bill, as you can see, I need some cars, so when you put your clearance pricing into effect, let me know!

What do you need. I need to thin the herd a little. 40 & 50s stuff, box, reefers, tank, and hoppers.

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 97 Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000