Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fast work! However, I see a potential op session choke point: 9 roundhouse tracks plus 4 service tracks to the left, but only one entrance/exit that doesn't go through the diesel house. Looks like one of the service tracks might be planned as a caboose track? That ladder might be the source of some delays.

Also, while the diesel house can be entered from both ends, the turntable will only accommodate two units. The tracks on the farther end look like they're intended to park lashups, so one may have to be moved to get another in/out of the diesel house. I can't see what the other end's ladder looks like due to the freight cars spotted there.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  11:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James! Actually, the diesel house only has access from the turntable and is meant to store lashups assigned to Northumberland. As for the service tracks, the first one closest to the aisle is for fuel/sand, the next one in is cabin storage, and the next two are service tracks. For op sessions, they will be used for lashups that layover from through freights.

I laid out several options for the facility and this was the one I felt worked the best. But of course, as you know, once we get operating, we will see how it works out. Everything is subject to change!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  10:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Impressive, Mark. Just out of curiosity, how is the 130' TT powered and controlled?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  11:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

Impressive, Mark. Just out of curiosity, how is the 130' TT powered and controlled?

Hi Vagel! For DCC layouts, it is tied directly into the local track buss. The controller has 4 terminals, but the track buss is connected to all four, two to each terminal.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  01:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally did it! Today marked the first operating session on the Northern Division! Ok, it wasnít really a full fledged operating session, but we ran a few trains. It was more of an impromptu Ďwhat the heck, letís run some trainsí type of session. So Bruce and Rick came over tonight with throttles in hand ready to put the layout through its paces. Iíve been looking forward to this point for a long time and was anxious to see how things went. We only ran a few trains and the goal was really to just run trains and start bringing any problems to the surface, and that we did! By the end of the night, I had a decent list of items that need attention.

Here we see Rick who is running S-78, a local out of Northumberland that services the industries in South Sunbury.

Here Rick is enjoying the luxury of running around his train without having to worry about any other mainline traffic. When the railroad becomes fully operational, this will be difficult!

Meanwhile, we find Bruce up at Glen Burn Colliery. He left Northumberland Yard earlier with train S-272 and a block of empty hoppers the came in from Buffalo on train RN-2. Upon arriving at Glen Burn, his job now is to sort out all of the outbound loads. He will then take a block of cars to the Penna Power and Light company in Shamokin Dam and then retun back with the empties he collected from there. Finally, after sorting all of the empties into the outbound yard at Glen Burn, he will return to Northumberland with a block of loaded coal bound for Buffalo via RN-1.

With his run finished, Rick is now putting his switcher back in the engine house at Northumberland.

A little while later, we find Rick with through freight NB-6 passing through Nescopeck, Pa. He is on his way to Buttonwood Yard in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Rick has arrived at Buttonwood and is cutting off his engine. He will later make the return trip with a block of cars from Buttonwood bound for Northumberland.

About the same time, we find Bruce with his train clearing off the Wilkes-Barre branch in Sunbury, Pa. on his way back to Northumberland.

Later in the evening, I even let Bruce pull out a couple of his steamers and run them on the layout. Yes, steam engines made their way on the railroad, but with all that Bruce has done for me over the years to help me get the railroad to this point, who am I to say no!

We uncovered a few areas that need attention, which was my goal. A few turnouts that need cleaning, an LED on the yard panel that went bad, and a few cars that need some attention, and so forth. But more importantly, we had some fun too! The railroad is finally coming to life. I still have a lot to do before I can think about a full operating session, but I plan to continue to have these little sessions over the next couple of months. Its an important step and the only way to uncover problem spots on the layout.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 11/27/2014 01:11:14 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  08:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, congratulations! It doesn't sound like any of those 'problems' is hard to fix. It also looks like Rick and Bruce had fun while helping you discover the glitches.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty good for a first try, particularly given where you were a month ago.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  09:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce and James! No, nothing too bad. Now I have to discipline myself to stay on top of the issues that surface during these test sessions and eliminate the problems.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an absolute blast last night putting the new version of the Northern Division through its initial paces; surprisingly the glitches were few and relatively minor in light of being the layout's first time. The usual and customary culprits emerged such as balky couplers, under-weighted rolling stock, turnouts without positive throws, and a few misaligned rail joints - nothing even remotely major and easily corrected. Mark followed us with a big notepad and was busy scribbling as we went along....

Looking forward to the next trial session!

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Send vzjtothalo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO!!!!!!

John Loesch

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  6:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Mark !!! The first one is usaly the worst one !! Been there done that years ago. -------- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed yourself Rick.

Ken, I hope your right!

Mark

chrisbconaway
New Hire

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  10:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has to feel good being able to run your trains again! The engine tracks look great.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  05:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good.

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  08:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mark! I hope it's only the first of years of fun to come!

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000