Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  7:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill and Rick!

Bill, there will be a fascia mounted on the lower and middle levels. I am pondering the idea of plexiglass to further protect the lower level, but I haven't made a final decision on that yet.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  11:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat trackwork on your stairs, Mark. I'd certainly vote for plexiglass if it was my situation!

Al Carter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  8:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, as I ponder the idea of plexiglass, I'm wondering just how flexible plexiglass is. The inside radius of the roadbed to which I would attach the plexiglass is about 19". So does anyone have any experience with bending plexiglass and would it flex or break?

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  9:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about Plexiglas, Mark, but maybe ask the plastic distributor when you go about alternatives; if memory serves, they have an array of transparent materials that might be flexible enough for your situation.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lexan is the name of the plastic we use for both covers and even some machined parts where I work. Plexi tends to crack and be brittle where Lexan isn't. I think we buy from Curbell Plastics, Inc. in Moorestown (NJ). Lexan is a manufactures product name I believe - I'm not sure of its composition.
Joe <><

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info guys. I'll check it out.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  2:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for another update. But there are times I think I should rename the Northern Division to the ‘Slowly but Surely’! I’ve been so busy with work that I only get an hour or two here or there to get things done, but it’s getting there, slowly but surely! Track laying continues. At this point, two of the three branch lines are installed and running. All that is left now is the Wilkes-Barre Branch on the upper level.

The most recent accomplishment is the completion of the Selinsgrove Secondary track by making the connection to the mainline at Selinsgrove Junction. This branch runs into Shamokin Dam where the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company’s power plant is located. After dropping feeders and wiring it in, it was time to get trains running again! Let’s take a look.

Here we see the Selinsgrove Local passing by the lead into the coal yard that feeds the PP&L power plant in Shamokin Dam on its way into Hummels Wharf.

The local is making its way through Hummel’s Wharf. That large space to the left will be the home of Keystone Car Repair, a large fictional facility that services and rebuilds freight cars.

Coming around the end of the peninsula, the local has now entered the town of Selinsgrove, which on the prototype was just on the other side of the Susquehanna River from the Northern Division mainline between Harrisburg and Buffalo, NY. There will be several smaller businesses here served by the railroad here making for a fun switching area.

The local is now crossing the Susquehanna River on a temporary bridge, and it will then join the mainline heading towards Northumberland Yard. The picture laying in what will be the river is a picture of the bridge I plan to model that crosses the river at this location.

Here the local is now on the mainline passing by the South Sunbury Industrial park. I recently installed the siding here and will next install the spurs for the various businesses located here. The area to the left will be the home of Weiss Foods Distribution center that is located in Sunbury, Pa. This will be a large complex that receives a variety of cars. Between this complex and the other businesses located further down, this will be a busy and fun area to switch!

And finally, an overview of the next phase, the Wilkes-Barre branch on the second level. To the left, you can see the track planning templates that I am using to lay out the track arrangements. The branch comes from the helix, located behind me to the left and continues down the aisle and back up on the right hand side and around the end of the peninsula to the other side into Buttonwood Yard. The three towns on the branch line that will be modeled here are South Danville, Catawissa and Nescopeck.

That’s it for now. In addition to working on the Wilkes-Barre branch, I am also now going back and laying in the various spurs and defining the various businesses. I plan to start mocking up some of the buildings for these businesses as well. Let the track laying continue!

Mark

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good Mark!

When's the first operating session? I'll come up special from South Carolina!

Edited by - Brunton on 02/08/2014 5:49:03 PM

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  6:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]

Here the local is now on the mainline passing by the South Sunbury Industrial park. I recently installed the siding here and will next install the spurs for the various businesses located here. The area to the left will be the home of Weiss Foods Distribution center that is located in Sunbury, Pa. This will be a large complex that receives a variety of cars. Between this complex and the other businesses located further down, this will be a busy and fun area to switch![quote]

Mark,

You are working in an amazing diversity of action into your railroad. I traveled the area on business in the Conrail era. All of these towns have personal meaning and I can see them in my mind's eye.

The food distributor is a customer that I called on. They are a well run family business started about 100 years ago. They have made large donations to charities in the area. If you want to be prototypical, the name is Weis.

Thanks for the photo tour of the new trackage.

Eric

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunton

Lookin' good Mark!

When's the first operating session? I'll come up special from South Carolina!

Soon Mark, soon. I'll keep you in mind!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  7:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlwrailfan1

[quote]
Mark,

You are working in an amazing diversity of action into your railroad. I traveled the area on business in the Conrail era. All of these towns have personal meaning and I can see them in my mind's eye.

The food distributor is a customer that I called on. They are a well run family business started about 100 years ago. They have made large donations to charities in the area. If you want to be prototypical, the name is Weis.

Thanks for the photo tour of the new trackage.

Eric

Thanks Eric! I hope that once I get into the scenery and structures, I will be able to reproduce the atmosphere you've come to know. And as far as the name goes, I appreciate the correction. So noted!

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark. That bridge will be impressive when you get it in place.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  9:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the low level picture of the Geep led freight.....the scene is going to look outstanding.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  09:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Mark!

Back to the plexiglass question - back 2 layouts ago, I wanted to put up plastic protection around some fragile areas of my layout to keep errant elbows from doing damage. I went to a local glass shop and inquired to see if they had plexiglass and they did. They cut me several strips 8' long by (I think) 10" or so high. I believe it was only 1/8" thick, and curved around corners very nicely. I took a 1x2 and cut a groove in the small side with my table saw, which was just right for the plexiglass to sit in. Then I cut the 1x2 into smaller pieces and spaced them at various points around the fascia to hold up the plexiglass. By putting these blocks on the straight parts, the plexiglass was self supporting around curves. I don't remember if it was plexiglass by brand name or something else, but I told them at the glass shop what I wanted to do and they fixed me right up. Wasn't too expensive, either. Sure did a good job protecting some prized models.

Al Carter

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000