Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  5:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about the long periods between updates, Mark. I, too, have been chipping away at un-photogenic projects these days ... your progress on valances, etc, is super!

See you in the funny papers (as they used to say),
Vagel

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  04:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

As a recent guest to the Northern Division, I can affirm and attest that all Mark's recent work on mundane stuff like valances, fascia, and ceiling tiles have indeed produced a VERY effective result; your eyes can't help but be drawn to the future scenes that will be unfolding. The time he has spent will pay off handsomely later when some scenery is installed, believe me!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  12:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been out of the loop these weeks and will continue to be for a few more weeks. Over the past few weeks, I became a grand father for the second time and I was busy with my daughter's wedding. With that out of the way, I have my younger son's high school graduation in a couple of weeks and my granddaughter's christening. Two weeks later I'll head to Seattle for a week for my niece's wedding, and then another wedding the following weekend! All this has left little time for railroading. But hang in there folks! I'll be back!

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  01:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, what part of Seattle (or surrounding area) will you be in? I used to live in Kirkland, but moved up to Mount Vernon a couple of years ago, or I'd offer to chauffer you around to a layout or two. I might be able to hook you up with somebody, though, depending on where you will be...

Al Carter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  12:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Al! Looks like I'll be passing right by you! We are flying into Seattle and then driving up to the Bellingham area for the week. Not sure what time I will have that week as the whole family will be getting together with all sorts of activities. Perhaps I can escape one day for a few hours.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Tell me the dates you will be out here, and I'll try to keep that week open. I might be able to arrange a visit to Dr. Nick Muff's house, the guy with the Pullman car and the F-7 cab in his basement (and a layout that rivals Cliff Power's MA&G). He is in Sedro Woolley, so not hard to get to from B'Ham. I will be going to the PNR convention June 25-30; but other than that, I'll be around and happy to meet up with you.

Al

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  11:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, I sent you a PM. Seeing Dr. Muff's basement in person sure would be a treat!

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  9:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy Mark,
Just catching up on your thread (being retired, I don't have the time for surfacing that I used to!!) The layout is looking great. I really like the atmosphere that you are creating in the layout room!! Look forward to more updates.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy. I've been a little distracted on the past few months so there isn't much recent progress, but I do need to update this thread.

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  7:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks Andy. I've been a little distracted on the past few months so there isn't much recent progress, but I do need to update this thread.

and???

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  12:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt? Is that you? Yes my friend. I've been a little busy the past few months, but free time is just ahead. Progress coming soon!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  8:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it’s been a year since I’ve updated this thread, and a busy year at that! With my daughter getting married, another grandchild joining the family, my son graduating high school, a niece’s wedding…well, you get the idea! But, between all this, I managed to make periodic progress over the past year as time allowed. Now that things have settled down again, I hope to get back into things and make some real progress. So now to bring you up to date.

I left off in my last post with the ambition of getting most of the ‘dirty work’ done. That is pretty much done. The ceiling and valences are done. Most of the fascia is in. I only have one small area of sub-roadbed to finish on the lower level. All sub-roadbed on the upper level is now installed and painted. The biggest part of that was installing the Wilkes-Barre area.

As can be seen below, the roadbed in front of Buttonwood Yard is finally in, as is the branch line trackage. The branch line (closest to the aisle) has been installed, along with the yard A&D track. The A&D track is tied into the yard lead, tying the remainder of the original yard to the railroad. You may remember that this is the yard from Bill Gruber’s Reading Lines layout. All that is left is to finish wiring the yard and get it operational.

The branch line continues past Buttonwood Yard and splits at the other end of the yard. From there, the Wilkes-Barre industrial track continues slightly upgrade into Wilkes-Barre where there will be a ton of local switching, and the other line continues slightly down grade into the upper level staging yard.

The pic below shows part of what will be Wilkes-Barre. I’ve been playing around with some building placement to start giving me some ideas of what I want to do in this area. The track in the foreground is the continuation of the Wilkes-Barre branch, which becomes the Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad. On the proto-type, this was, a joint venture between the PRR and the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. This track continues through the wall and into the upper level staging in the other room.

This view shows the other end of Wilkes-Barre, again with some buildings in place. I’ve been moving these around help me figure out a trackplan for the area.

At the other end of the railroad, work continues on the Shamokin Branch. Track has finally made its way around the end of the peninsula on its way to Mt. Carmel. Between layouts, I was collecting track and came across a bundle of Code 70 super elevated track. While I know the track is this area wasn’t super elevated, I needed more Code 70 track and I thought it would look neat! I don’t know the manufacturer of this track, but while it looks great, it is extremely difficult to work with! Trying to curve this track is nearly impossible. It takes a lot of time as it is extremely stiff. But now that it’s in, it looks great.

Here we are in the small town of Hickory Swamp. Yes, this is a real town in Pennsylvania and the location of Susquehanna Collieries Slope #1. This isn’t the building I will use here but is placed for the time being so give me some ideas to work with. Hickory Swamp will supply some of the coal that feeds Glen Burn. From here, the Shamokin track will continue to the left to Mt. Carmel.

With the upper level well underway, I am also working on getting the branch line in place on the lower level. The Selinsgrove Branch runs around the back peninsula of the lower level and will end at the Pennsylvania Power and Light, Shamokin Dam complex. The proto-type line came off the Northern Division trackage south of Sunbury and crossed the Susquehanna River, heading towards Lewistown, Pa. A spur off the branch also headed north along the river towards the PP&L plant. This is the part of this branch that I am modeling. Like with other parts of the layout, a lot of ‘modelers license’ will be allowed here to offer more switching on this branch than actually existed. The PP&L plant was also served by the Reading Railroad from the north. I will be modeling this operation with Reading trains coming in out of staging, and PRR trains coming from Glen Burn, both of which feed the PP&L plant with coal.

The first part of installing the branch line was to modify the existing benchwork to depress it to allow for modeling the Susquehanna River and the bridge crossing it. Here are some before and after shots. The first shot shows the standard bench work, with track templates in place to determine the exact location of the bridge. The white template is the actual footprint of the bridge I will be installing here. It is a combination of a Central Valley through truss bridge and two Micro Engineering Deck Girder bridges.

And after the modification of the benchwork with sub-roadbed in place!

So, progress is underway again. Next is to finish the last bit of sub-roadbed on the lower level and get it painted, while continuing trackwork on the upper level.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  10:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice - glad to see some progress.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  10:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see another layout progressing.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  04:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000