Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  12:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric! We're getting there!

Tony, that's exactly what I used! If you look at my previous post, the inside of the valence has that white coating you are referring to. Great stuff! But, as I said, for some reason it did 'expand'. My suggestion to anyone using this is to bring it into the layout room and let it sit for a couple of days before installing it. I'm not sure if it's temperature, humidity or a combination of both, but in my case, each piece expanded roughly 1/16-1/8". All I had to do was unscrew it, flatten it out, rehang it and sand down the edges that butt together. I did replace the two pieces over Northumberland Yard as they were the worst, but I let them sit in the basement for about a week before I installed them and so far, they haven't changed.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  02:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Masonite 'can' do that. You can also move it with a wood steamer to bend it. I have not had to do this yet and all my radii are not tight enough. Even painted the Masonite will expand then contract a little. I have let mine sit in the basement for months. Then it doesn't move at all.

I agree that 'a little' progress is a major understatement. You have done a lot of work! I like the lighting. It does draw your attention to the layout for sure. That is going to be a dandy to operate on.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  09:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark I'm interested how things go now and what direction you go now that major construction is completed. You have a beautiful canvas there at your ready, any thoughts on a backdrop?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill! The lighting and the backdrops have changed everything and really motivated me to keep going.

Thank Lynn! Well, as I said, I still have a few 'major' items to finish up, but the bulk of it is obviously behind me. While I do not have a track plan, I have a real good solid idea of where everything is going. Now it's a matter of figuring out the details. Glen Burn is a perfect example of this. I am using pictures as a guide so that the buildings and scenery will at least capture the flavor of the area. While it won't be an 'exact' model of the facility, I do hope that when people see it first hand, they will recognize it as Glen Burn. As for the other areas of the layout, my approach will be similar. I have a listing of the businesses/industries in each town from the railroad's CT1000 (listing of sidings and industries). I will lay out the spurs in each area loosely until I define various structures and then go from there.

As for the backdrops, I plan on using some of the downloadable paper backdrops available online. Rick (Harsco) did this on his layout with great success. There are so many 'generic' scenes available that will give a good northeastern look to the various areas. I don't have the links to these sites yet as I have to get them from Rick, but that is on my short list so I will share them when I get them.

This is definitely the fun part!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 10/04/2012 12:27:38 AM

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  08:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, Mark!... joined the forum about a year ago about the time of your 'funk' I think... love seeing your progress now... the NJD has so many meets... when will you open up for us north Jerseyans to see?... IMO the construction phase is so educational, plus you can get alot of feedback from fresh eyes about final design decisions for sidings, structures, etc. ... C'mon!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Been off the forum for a bit, but checking things out after posting the link for the CL&W videos.

Things are looking great! I know how it can be with starts and stops, but hopefully you can keep this momentum rolling. Looking forward to seeing it all in person!

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com
mainecentral.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim and Mike!

Jim, I agree about seeing layouts under construction. Sometimes you can pick up some great ideas. I've already been asked about opening up for the next round of meets. I had wanted to wait until I at least had something running and some track on the upper level, and now I'm just about there. I'm not sure if it will be this year or not, but when it happens, I'll post a notice here for anyone that might be interested.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  7:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realized how long it's been since my last update. One would think I was in another 'funk', but that is not the case. Actually, I have gotten a lot done since the last update, just not anything that I would consider 'photo-worthy', or even photographical! See, most of it is black!

First, the ceiling is done! I managed to get the last 22 ceiling tiles needed to complete the ceiling. What a nice difference that makes!

I've also been working on finishing up some of the 'construction' projects around the room and try to get the dirty work done, once and for all. The ceiling was priority number 1. Next is the valence. I still need to finish filling in screw holes and the seams and sanding these areas. Then a coat of flat black paint with finish that up.

At the same time, I've been installing more fascia around the layout, and last big pieces of sub-roadbed. Needless to say, as this gets installed, it is painted black! So as you can see, there isn't much to see, which is the goal when it comes to all this stuff!

This is all just about done, leaving just trackwork and wiring ahead of me now, and at the same time, start developing some of my scenes and placing structures! Then there will be lot's of photos.

Of course now as the holidays approach, my progress typically slows down. Since I work in retail, this is our busy season and I'll be working 50-60 hour weeks, and getting things ready around the house for the holidays. So there won't be much to report between now and after the holidays, but never fear - progress is being made!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 11/26/2012 7:30:38 PM

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  8:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, if that is a "little progress" I hate to see what "huge progress" is. Sorry to hear about the masonite but I have found out the hard way that all wood needs to be climatized before use. Looking forward to the next progress update.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

drs_rr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  9:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit drs_rr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's all in the name of progress, if you can see it or you can't.

Sounds like it is coming together, I'm sure it will look really good once you get that ceiling and valances done the layout should really pop when you see it.

Dave Salamon
Deep River Southern - N Scale
www.picturetrail.com/salamon

plavallee
New Hire

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  01:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How goes the layout Mark?

Some say"blind obedience".
I say "malicious compliance".

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a recent guest to the Northern Division, I can affirm and attest that all Mark's recent work on mundane stuff like valances, fascia, and ceiling tiles have indeed produced a VERY effective result; your eyes can't help but be drawn to the future scenes that will be unfolding. The time he has spent will pay off handsomely later when some scenery is installed, believe me!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the complements Rick. Yes, while progress has indeed been slow and unexciting, there has been progress and I do owe an update to this thread. One will be coming shortly.

As Rick pointed out, I've been trying to finish up all the woodworking. The valence and finished and painted. Most of the fascia is in, and still some subroadbed to finish up. I want to get this all done next soi I can give the room a good clean up and then move foward with track laying.

An update will be forthcoming!

Mark

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
thatīs an amazing layout you are working on..Iīm also in the progress of finishing all the dusty work to start with some more fun building...Hope to see some progress pictures soon....
Cheers,Chris

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000