Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  12:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ken! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

You know, I knew the Reading had a line that crossed the PRR at grade in Sunbury but was shown a picture of a line that crossed at grade and was led to believe it was a PRR line. That answers that question. I guess I may need to rip that track up now. It's ok though. As you can see, it all comes together in an awkward spot at the hole in the wall and is already proving to be a bit of a maintenance nightmare. This justifies my altering it a bit!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  1:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Mark. Nice work on the backdrops -- they DO make a huge difference, don't they!?

BTW, here's a picture of the ex-RDG station in Sunbury that I took a couple of years ago. View is looking northwest immediately west of the PRR/RDG crossing.

Vagel

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 08/14/2012 1:14:48 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  11:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vagel! A much nicer looking station than the PRR one in Sunbury I might add!

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  7:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark , why not put a 90 degree diamond in and call it the Reading. The PRR at one time did have a industrial track crossing the RDG right behind the tower. Tower was brick and I have pictures of it if needed. The Horn track came along side the Reading about a mile from the diamond. They ran parallel up to the Black Mill.
I think I have pictures of Glen Burn Collery before it was dismantled. Funny thing about the Shamokin branch and my modeling is thats the track that got me interested in the Buffalo line but I don't have that much of it modeled !!! By the way the main track on the Shamokin Branch was laid with 152 lb rail so code 100 would be correct . ------- Ken

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/17/2012 :  9:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, it's really exciting following your progress with all the trackwork...it's a thing of beauty, all those ribbons of rail. Man, you got some good pricing on the track...must've been bought a while back! I can't wait to see the scenery develop once the trackwork is completed.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  12:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Mark , why not put a 90 degree diamond in and call it the Reading. The PRR at one time did have a industrial track crossing the RDG right behind the tower. Tower was brick and I have pictures of it if needed. The Horn track came along side the Reading about a mile from the diamond. They ran parallel up to the Black Mill.
I think I have pictures of Glen Burn Collery before it was dismantled. Funny thing about the Shamokin branch and my modeling is thats the track that got me interested in the Buffalo line but I don't have that much of it modeled !!! By the way the main track on the Shamokin Branch was laid with 152 lb rail so code 100 would be correct . ------- Ken

Thanks for all the input Ken! Some good info.

As for the Reading in Sunbury, I'll have to give that some thought. My space in Sunbury is kind of limited. I've tried to capture the Horn Track, but it required some serious 'selective compression'!

As for the track size on the Shamokin Track, at first that surprises me, but then giving it some thought, considering there was a lot of ore traffic on that line, it makes sense. Of course, about half of that is already laid and I used Code 70!

As for Glen Burn, I have a lot of info, but you can't have too many pictures. I have managed to find a lot of pictures on line and it's been a great resource. My version of Glen Burn will be close, but again, I have to employ some modelers license to make it fit in the given area.

One of these days I have to make to your layout and see your version of the 'Northern Division'. I understand it's a little larger than my version.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  12:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Mark, it's really exciting following your progress with all the trackwork...it's a thing of beauty, all those ribbons of rail. Man, you got some good pricing on the track...must've been bought a while back! I can't wait to see the scenery develop once the trackwork is completed.

Thanks Mike! It's good to hear from you. As for the rail, YES! Much of it is from the old layout, and more of it has been acquired over the past few years from other collections. I should have enough to do the whole layout! And scenery will hopefully start soon. I am currently working on finishing the upper level backdrops and will post some pics in the next few days. With that done, with the exception of the valence, pretty much all of the heavy consntruction is behind me! Which of course means trackwork and scenery!

Mark

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  07:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck Mark I would leave the crossing, That's how things started in Sidney

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  9:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good progress to report! I was on vacation the past week and was able to get a lot done. My immediate goal was to get the upper level backdrops built and painted and I managed to get that done. What a difference installing the backdrops make. It really makes you focus on the scene in front of you.

Here is the usual shot from the bottom of the steps as you enter the railroad room.

And another shot from the other end of this peninsula. The upper level here will be the Shamokin Secondary track on its way to Mt. Carmel, located all the way at the end of this aisle.

And walking down the center aisle and looking back down the back aisle. This area on the upper level is the town of Nescopeck on the Wilkes-Barre Branch. Buttonwood Yard is on the other side of the backdrop.

So now I can call the backdrops DONE! Next comes the valence, which is becoming a priority at this point. Installing the ceiling and now the backdrops has cut down on the light in the room and certain areas on the upper level are VERY dark! So I need to install the valence and upper level lighting. The real good news is that the big construction jobs are almost all behind me!

With the backdrops done, I resumed work in Glen Burn. I finalized the track arrangement and have begun installation. In this picture you can see what I call the outbound yard where all the loaded hoppers are stored until they are picked up. In the foreground will be the inbound loads will be spotted.

While the flow of the facility will be closely modeled, Ive come to the conclusion that trying to model the facility as it was would be next to impossible. But it will be very close!

The track laying process is slow for me as I am using old track from my previous layout, which means each piece and each switch must be cleaned of old ballast before installation. To add to that, I realized I had several pieces of Code 55 track left over and decided that would look great in Glen Burn! While it looks great, it requires some serious TLC to install! So, its time consuming, but a part of layout construction that I do enjoy. Much more than benchwork and backdrops!

Next step valence!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 08/27/2012 9:38:06 PM

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-great update(s), the layout looks awesome. Big sigh of relief with the major stuff behind you now. Can't wait to see it. I'm back to chasing the kids and the soccer balls.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, See what you can do when work is out of the way. Very good work and thanks for the update. The backdrops really do change the mode and look of the railroad. (I thought the sun shines down from the top )

The Glen Burn area is shaping up nicely. Where are using the code 55 track? In the mill?

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  6:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill! Yeah, it looks kind of funny right now with the light from the lower level shining through to the upper level, doesn't it?

I'm using up the Code 55 on the yard tracks in Glen Burn. On my old layout, many of the industrial tracks were Code 55. I really liked the way it looked, especially with scenery down. Looked like two small silver ribbons through the dirt! But it was difficult to salvage when the layout came down so I don't have that much left. So I'm using what I have in Glen Burn. The rest will be Code 70, also from the old layout.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I've been a bit less involved in the model rr world recently, but have been following your progress. Looks fantastic! Amazing how you've gone from being in a funk to shifting into high gear. Must've been a huge thrill to watch the train run the other day.

Keep it up and I look forward to seeing your accomplishments.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  12:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave! Good to hear from you. Yes, I was in quite the funk, but these recent accomplishments keep me fired up. While I enjoy 'construction', I miss the modeling and operation, but at this point, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that's what keeps me moving foward.

Mark

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  1:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow this is an amazingly large layout and your doing a splendid job on it, no rush.

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000