Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: dancemark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

BN_Fan
Section Hand



Posted - 06/26/2012 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like some serious progress on things. Keep up the good work guys.


Country: USA | Posts: 94 Go to Top of Page

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper



Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark - Have enjoyed following your progress for awhile (as well as those of your fellow south Jerseyans)... good tips as I'm in the final room prep stage... regarding your prep for the valence, curious if when you snipped the wall angle to give it flexibility whether a single snip every inch was sufficient or whether you had do double-snip a 'vee'... in other words, did the angle easily fold over itself as you bent it into a semi-circular shape @ the peninsula or did you need to provide some space for the "miter?"... can't quite tell from the photo... hope that's understandable...thanks.

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Country: USA | Posts: 156 Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman



Posted - 06/27/2012 :  2:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is curvable edging available. It's the product that has the rounded 'fingers' on one edge with holes for screws in it. Nice progress.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Country: USA | Posts: 4763 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 06/27/2012 :  11:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BandO Boy

Mark - Have enjoyed following your progress for awhile (as well as those of your fellow south Jerseyans)... good tips as I'm in the final room prep stage... regarding your prep for the valence, curious if when you snipped the wall angle to give it flexibility whether a single snip every inch was sufficient or whether you had do double-snip a 'vee'... in other words, did the angle easily fold over itself as you bent it into a semi-circular shape @ the peninsula or did you need to provide some space for the "miter?"... can't quite tell from the photo... hope that's understandable...thanks.



Hi Jim! Thanks for your comments and I'm glad your enjoying the ride.

Funny you should ask that question. When I started 'snipping', that was what I thought I would have to do, but I decided to experiment at first, so I simply made cuts about 1" apart. I noticed that when I made the cuts, the pieces kind of seperated, allowing them to fold over themselves. So I cut about 2' in, and then laid it around the fascia of the peninsula to see how it would take the bend and sure enough, they just folded over each other! Worked perfectly.

So no, you don't have to cut in a "V". Thank goodness as it saved a lot of time too!


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 06/27/2012 :  11:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

There is curvable edging available. It's the product that has the rounded 'fingers' on one edge with holes for screws in it. Nice progress.



Now he tells me!


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman



Posted - 06/28/2012 :  02:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

There is curvable edging available. It's the product that has the rounded 'fingers' on one edge with holes for screws in it. Nice progress.



Now he tells me!



But, you didn't ask prior to installing it!


Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Country: USA | Posts: 4763 Go to Top of Page

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper



Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark - OK, thanks... the photo appeared to show each snip folding over the next one, but how often do things work out so easily, right?... I figured that was too good to be true... of course Bill's little tidbit of info does provide a modest sidebar to Murphy's Law!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Country: USA | Posts: 156 Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member


Posted - 06/28/2012 :  10:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, just dont put up that valance unitl the track is all in!!
Dont ask how I know,,


Cheers!, Joe

Country: USA | Posts: 1095 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 06/28/2012 :  11:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Mark, just dont put up that valance unitl the track is all in!!
Dont ask how I know,,



Well Joe, I have already considered that one. Yes, as anxious as I am to see it in place, I will wait for a while for several reasons, that being one of them.

The problem I have is that the lighting on the upper level is to be mounted to the valance! So until the upper valence is in, I don't have any lighting up there to speak of. It's kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg!


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman



Posted - 06/28/2012 :  12:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Mark, just dont put up that valance unitl the track is all in!!
Dont ask how I know,,



Well Joe, I have already considered that one. Yes, as anxious as I am to see it in place, I will wait for a while for several reasons, that being one of them.

The problem I have is that the lighting on the upper level is to be mounted to the valance! So until the upper valance is in, I don't have any lighting up there to speak of. It's kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg!



There is nothing wrong with putting a 'test section' of valance to see what it is going to look like and test out your lighting strategies. Just wear a helmet!


Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Country: USA | Posts: 4763 Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman



Posted - 07/04/2012 :  11:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is an article by Jim Hertzog in a 2003 issue of Railmodel Journal about modeling an anthracite mining company. I still think the series that appeared in RMC in the early 1980's is the best, but this is a nice supplement. He has a Dorr Thickener in the scene he modeled, but it is the "silo" type of thickener. His article talks about the various structures, which I found interesting. You can find the article on-line at:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/173/12562/july-2003-page-36

Also, dig out your June 2010 issue of RMC for an article by Wayne Sittner. His scenes really capture the look of the anthracite area.

Chuck



Edited by - wvrr on 07/04/2012 11:07:32 AM

Country: | Posts: 6287 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 07/05/2012 :  2:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

There is nothing wrong with putting a 'test section' of valance to see what it is going to look like and test out your lighting strategies. Just wear a helmet!



Your right Bill, but I'm confident with the lighting strategies, so no real tests needed. I also know that once the valance is in, it will be difficult to get in on top of any work to be done.

At this point, the ceiling is for the most part done.... FINALLY! I've painted just about all the tiles black (I owe some pics) so the bulk of the mess is now behind me. Next major project, which will hopefully be in the next week or two, is to install the backdrops on the peninsulas. At the same time, I plan to resume much of the track laying on the upper level and get the bulk of that out of the way. If all goes according to plan (which it never does), that should all be out of the way by the time I am ready to install the valances.

That's the plan anyway.


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 07/05/2012 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

There is an article by Jim Hertzog in a 2003 issue of Railmodel Journal about modeling an anthracite mining company. I still think the series that appeared in RMC in the early 1980's is the best, but this is a nice supplement. He has a Dorr Thickener in the scene he modeled, but it is the "silo" type of thickener. His article talks about the various structures, which I found interesting. You can find the article on-line at:
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/173/12562/july-2003-page-36

Also, dig out your June 2010 issue of RMC for an article by Wayne Sittner. His scenes really capture the look of the anthracite area.

Chuck



Thanks for all the info Chuck!

Chuck has been sending me even more stuff directly, which I sincerely appreciate. I think once I get the project underway (which is going to be real soon), I may start a seperate thread as I'm sure there are others out there who can add info, or might be interested is seeing the information that is shared.


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief



Posted - 07/11/2012 :  2:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The room is looking great, Mark. Make sure you post a link to your thread on Glen Burn once it gets started ... I want to lurk!


Country: USA | Posts: 856 Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 07/12/2012 :  12:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely will Vagel!

It's been hectic this week and I haven't been down in the basement at all! My daughter was in town this week and I've been working just about every day at work, leaving little time for the railroad. But that should change in the next few days.

I need to install the backdrop area over the helix first, which will essentially finish 'room contruction' in that area, meaning I'll be able to do some real planning and perhaps track laying in the Glen Burn area. I have been tinkering with some ideas.

I can hear Chuck's finger tapping away at his desk, waiting. He has sent me a ton of material and I'm certain he is anxious to see what I do with it!


Mark

Country: USA | Posts: 13373 Go to Top of Page
Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000