Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been about a month since my last update, so I guess an update is due! With summer approaching and the warm weather upon us, it's been hard for me to spend time in the basement. And SteamNut is enjoying his live steam, so he's MIA for the time being, but I guess he's earned some time off!

Even with his absence, I've managed to get a few things done. Last time Bruce was here, we managed to get the rest of the new yard in place. It still has to be screwed into place, but it's there and I couldn't be happier with how this worked out!

On that same night, we built and put into place a couple of more sections of benchwork on the second level. The area on the upper level will be Wilkes-Barre, just outside of Buttonwood Yard. The mainline will go downgrade slightly and through the wall into staging, while the rest of the area will be a large switching area served by the Wiles-Barre Industrial Track out of Buttonwood Yard.

The area on the lower level will be Middleburg, Pa., served by the Selinsgrove Branch. Just to the right will be a large power plant.

Over the past couple of weeks, I continued the fun project of painting the benchwork on the upper level white. Now, if you don't like building benchwork, you should try painting it! That's a lot of fun!

I also initiated another fun project - drilling holes for buss wires! I'm not sure how many holes I've drilled over the past week, but I know it's over 1000! But in the long run, it's worth it to keep the wiring neat. Finally though, I was able to start roughing in the buss wires in the benchwork of the lower level.

Above, you can see the various busses run. A couple of track buss wires for two different disctricts, switch machine power, signal/dection logic power, etc. I wanted to get this out of the way while it was all easy to access and before roadbed was installed. I know I'll be glad I did that!

While trying to complete these projects, I kept tripping over lumber that is spread all over the place, so today I decided it was time to push myself to get more benchwork complete. I built two more sections for the upper level that go down the side wall of the house.

I also managed to make serious progress on the second level of the Northumberland peninsula. I erected the spine that supports the upper level, as well as the L girder. The 1x2's are just laying there for the time being so I could get a better perspective of how things would look. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with how it is coming out.

The view below shows the Northumberland peninsula. Northumberland Yard will be on the lower level to the left. You can see the beginning of the upper level towards the back of the peninsula.

And finally, an overall picture of the basement as it is today. This is the view you see now as you enter the basement from the bottom of the steps. Lot's of lumber!

Sometimes I feel like this project is dragging and I'm not getting anything substancial accomplished, but considering 13 months ago it looked like this...

... I guess I'm making pretty good progress!

Mark

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  10:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I'll say you're making pretty good progress.
That's going to be some layout.
Nice work.

As you think, so will you be.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2010 :  11:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Mark. Nice pics too. Gotta love how you guys downplay your progress. Have fun at the graduation this weekend.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  12:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

This 'piker' is blown away by your progress. You have redefined 'piker' with a pike, railroad, empire expanding throughout your basement.

Full steam ahead, even if Steam Nut is not available,

Eric

Edited by - dlwrailfan1 on 05/14/2010 10:31:35 AM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  06:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, it looks great. Remember if you want some rail on that curve, give me a call. I have plenty of extra code 83 rail.

What are all the different color buss wires for?

You made the right decision putting them in now. Guess who did it the other way.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  07:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh nice one, Put the blame on me!!!!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  07:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Oh nice one, Put the blame on me!!!!

Works for me!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great, Mark....knowing how much "fun" this phase of layout building can be, just put your head down and keep plugging along...it'll be over with before you know it!

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,, Great Progess,,, looking real nice so far. I like the idea of the pre-drilling and running wires,, that is thinking ahead,,,

Cheers!, Joe

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, you're really flying.

Drilling separate holes for all the wires is tedious but well worth it, in my never-humble opinion.

Your work looks neat and solid - "done in a good and workmanlike manner" as they say in the trades.

Don

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  10:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Your progress is amazing! I see you really have a solid plan in place and all the pre planning is really working out nice. Pre planning, who know?

~Jeff

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  10:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
Great to see the update and pics!! When are the trains going to start running??

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Mark,

Like everyone else I think you have accomplished a lot in the last year. Building the amount of bench work you have is not a "minor" step on the process.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind comments and words of encouragement! That's what keeps me going, next to SteamNut's harrassment!

I'm away for the weekend so there won't be anymore progress until next week, but my three hour drive this morning gave me lots of time to dream up more ideas.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

What are all the different color buss wires for?

You made the right decision putting them in now. Guess who did it the other way.

Ralph, I 'pre-wired' the buss wires like this on my old layout and was glad I did! It saves a lot of time and aggrivation down the road.

The white and black ones are from the boosters and are the main feeds to the local breakers/districts. The orange and green and red and green are switch machine power - one for tortoises and the other for celenoid machines. The blue and yellow is filtered DC for the DCCOD's. I have to run two more - one for straight 18 volt ac, which I can tap off from anywhere around the layout down the road for lighting, etc., and one more for an extra down the road, like maybe the power supply for my signal system!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.74 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000