Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Bunkerboy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  01:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave and Frank! Yes, having the help is not only a good thing, but makes this part of the project much more fun! Frankly, it's been tough for me to get downstairs between work sessions the past couple of weeks, so the only progress being made is when the guys show up. Then of course, it's major progress! Just tonight, we finished the benchwork on the lower level, so now the Northumberland peninsula is in place. With that done, I have a real good idea of what I'll be doing in each area. The amazing part for me is just how much room I now have to model certain areas and scenes - much, much more than on the old layout! Frankly, it's a little overwhelming, but the guys keep pushing me on!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you may remember back last November that I posted some pictures of a local layout built by NMRA MMR Bill Gruber.
(If not, see http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27789)

Bill's layout was recently dismantled, but I was able to purchase the yard on his layout, which is so well done with all handlaid track, scenicked and detailed very well. Several pictures of the yard appear in the thread mentioned above. It turned out that it would be almost a perfect fit for the new Buttonwood Yard on my layout! So last night, SteamNut and I, along with a few other friends, made our way over to Bill's house to remove the last remaining section of his layout.

Unfortunately, none of us thought to bring a camera with us, which is ashame as it was quite a sight to see 5 of us move a 14' section of railroad out his basement door, around the side of his house and into a waiting pickup truck! What us model railroaders won't do! Then, the trip home was an experience as well. The bed of the truck is only 8', meaning 6' of the yard was sticking out the back of the truck.

But we made it home safe and sound and moved the yard sections into my garage awaiting installation onto my layout. So here's how they look right now. The section on the left is 14' and includes the engine facility, caboose and servicing tracks, as well as the yard ladder itself. The section to the right includes the yard tracks themselves.

So now the real fun part begins; removing the yard from the old benchwork, moving it into my basement and placing it into position on it's new home!

Mark

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  8:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,, Wow can't wait to see that installed! Sounds like a hairy move glad it worked out ok.
What a way to get a kick start on track work..
Also dig the blue floor I'm having a psyhcodelic flashback

Cheers!, Joe

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  10:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Mark-glad to see a major part of Bill's layout will be put to good use. Safe to say it'll be installed before the end of the coming weekend? You only have to wonder what Bruce has cooking to get that into your basement. This should be a doozy especially with that bend in your steps. But no challenge is too big for him. (Are we going to see one of your basement windows "enlarged?")

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnhman

Also dig the blue floor I'm having a psyhcodelic flashback

You like that? Believe it or not, that's my garage floor! The previous owner was a car collector so the garage is white, good lighting and yes, finished floor! And they say model railroaders are a strange bunch?

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prrmatt

Great update Mark-glad to see a major part of Bill's layout will be put to good use. Safe to say it'll be installed before the end of the coming weekend? You only have to wonder what Bruce has cooking to get that into your basement. This should be a doozy especially with that bend in your steps. But no challenge is too big for him. (Are we going to see one of your basement windows "enlarged?")

Thanks for sharing.

Actually Matt, it will have to go in through the basement window, and yes, it WILL fit! We already measured it. Of course the only thing going in is the yard itself, not all the supporting lumber underneath. That's the tricky part - removing the yard from the benchwork portion, but yes, Bruce has a plan!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

...but yes, Bruce has a plan!

Plans are good, Mark. Wish I'd had one! Seriously, though, I'll watch this plan come to fruition with interest, as I have an HOn3 example in MY garage waiting to be transfered to new benchwork.

Vagel

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  08:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the yard made it to your house, Mark. I can't wait to see it installed!

Chuck

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the instant yard haas arrived.
I'm sure Bruce will have it in the layout in no time.

I'm also pretty sure you can put the snow blower away for the season.

As you think, so will you be.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  7:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

Actually Matt, it will have to go in through the basement window, and yes, it WILL fit! We already measured it. Of course the only thing going in is the yard itself, not all the supporting lumber underneath. That's the tricky part - removing the yard from the benchwork portion, but yes, Bruce has a plan!
[/quote]

Mark, you lucked out on that one!!! LOL.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  07:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could cut a hole in the floor and drop it in, I ones took out the side wall of a house to get a tub/shower combo unit in!

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  01:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Bill Gruber worked so hard at the hobby and then later for the MER / NMRA. He could get 12 things done in the time I do one. My first visit to his 'new house' was around 1985 to test out a camera. I stopped for some open houses over the years and made at least one op session. It was very intense and I posted (observed). Then in 1996 I joined the MER board along with Bill. We worked very well together for the next four years. The region was in good shape to start and we made it our goal to build on that. Bill set very high standards for himself and was never pleased with results (even though I complimented him many times for what was achieved).

It was a sad day in November 2009 as the last train was shut down on the Reading Lines. It is terrific that you could save the yard. While the location while be Wilkes-Barre, it would be appropriate to honor Bill in some way. Ideas! Leave some 'bad order' Reading equipment on the RIP track (which never leaves), or a Reading Ramble train that passes through or a structure with his name on it or maybe a rail fan wearing a Reading hat (with camera) watching the action in the yard.

Kick starting your imagination!

Eric

mainetrains
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  06:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your recounting of toting the railroad to it's new home in the back of a pickup brought back some memories for me. Over 30 years I was moving back to where my Dad lived after a failed marriage and had to lug my layout about 60 miles in the back of a pickup. We got some pretty strange looks on that trip. Of course the best look was the one on my Dad's face when I got around to setting the layout up again. He had been into HO trains in the 40's & early 50's but his railroad had gone by the wayside when my brother and I came along. My only memory of his was when I was 4 or 5 back in the 50's. His eyes really lit up to see trains again.

Anyway, best of luck with the new yard.

Dave

"there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear"

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
That is wonderful that you can use that yard without having to carve it up. Will be a really nice addition for your railroad from the looks of it. I remember seeing it in the photo tour that was posted of Bill's layout. It really impressed me at the time. Can't wait to see it installed in your basement!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Instant yard, you got to love it. [:d]

Mark, it's great that you able to save the yard and incorporate in your new layout. It's great to hear that you will be able to get it in the basement without to much trouble.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000